PDA

View Full Version : Where's the DDR2?

Zeph
06-17-05, 09:27 PM
first of all, i'm new & i've been visiting this website for two months & i like reading the reviews on all the latest stuff & keeping track of the latest releases on computer hardware. i hope to meet ppl & learn some new & interesting things on computer related things. now back to the topic

i've seen reviews on how good DDR2 is but i haven't seen any motherboards that support it? what motherboards do support it? i've checked the specs on SLI boards & they support the regualr DDR. are they still testing them or waiting for a debut?

retsam
06-17-05, 09:37 PM
intel is the only c cpu maker supporting ddr2 so far, .... amd will support it in sometime at the end of the year. the impressions i get is the latencies are to high and the benefits are not worth the upgrade at this moment..

Roliath
06-17-05, 09:40 PM
ABIT NI8 SLI
Asus P5ND2-SLI
Epox EP-5NVA+SLI
Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI Royal
MSI P4N Diamond

all those mobo's are Intel nForce4 boards, and support SLI, and support DDR2.

saturnotaku
06-17-05, 09:49 PM
To be honest, DDR2 isn't all that "good" right now. AMD nForce4 boards with low latency DDR1 will outperform any Intel DDR2 system and will do so until there are CPUs that can handle the increased bandwidth that DDR2 is capable of.

Rakeesh
06-18-05, 01:01 AM
DDR2 here.

$n][pErMan
06-18-05, 12:48 PM
Money is better spent on a new CPU or Video card .. not on DDR2... :)

Kojiro
06-20-05, 02:53 PM
Manufactuers should skip DDR2 and go straight to GDDR3 1000 and dual channel that. :D

jolle
06-20-05, 03:13 PM
Manufactuers should skip DDR2 and go straight to GDDR3 1000 and dual channel that. :D

Dunno.. GDDR3 is pretty much DDR2 modded to be better suitable for graphics cards, maybe that isnt all that suitable for System RAM..
But yeah, it draws less power and clocks way higher.. perhaps yields has something to do with it otherwise.. today cards get 256mb usually, for SystemRAM you would need to produce a whole lot more to put on 512mb and 1gb sticks..

EDIT
Stumbled onto this today.. DDR3 coming to desktop market..
spose that would be tweaked up DDR2, sortof GDDR3 but for desktop..
http://www.cooltechzone.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=1448