PDA

View Full Version : 6800GT chilled wc, what core voltage to run?

sam375
06-18-05, 07:15 AM
So far my lowest core temp is 21C best oc so far is 468/1200 (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=943380) on stock volts. It would do 475 core, score was higher but it wasnt reporting the clock correctly (might have trottled down during the bench). With my setup Ill be able to get the core down to about 8-10C. What voltage do you guys think I should run?

jimmor
06-18-05, 07:23 AM
So far my lowest core temp is 21C best oc so far is 468/1200 (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=943380) on stock volts. It would do 475 core, score was higher but it wasnt reporting the clock correctly (might have trottled down during the bench). With my setup Ill be able to get the core down to about 8-10C. What voltage do you guys think I should run?

What volts are you currently running ??

Unless you are considering hard voltmods to your card, max available from bios setting is 1.5v

sam375
06-18-05, 07:42 AM
The BIOS I have says 1.4v or 1.6v. I plan on going 1.4v for sure, but 1.6v seems a bit too high.

jimmor
06-18-05, 08:39 AM
There is no 1.6v option for a GT. Normal gt bios options are 1.1, 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5v.

Also, when running at 1.4 or above, it is most important that you monitor (or fit heatsinks to) the gpu volts regulator chips as they will get extremely hot when loaded. No point in unnecessarily blowing one of them in your quest for higher gpu speeds.

sam375
06-18-05, 06:10 PM
There is no 1.6v option for a GT. Normal gt bios options are 1.1, 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5v.

Well on the gainwardGS BIOS there is at least a 1.6v option in the BIOS editor (ill be able to verify with a voltmeter). Dont know if it will work but there is that option, its not my default "normal" BIOS so I guess that explains it.

Im going to try 1.4v tonight.

Also, when running at 1.4 or above, it is most important that you monitor (or fit heatsinks to) the gpu volts regulator chips as they will get extremely hot when loaded.

Where exactly are they on the card?

jimmor
06-18-05, 06:42 PM
Well on the gainwardGS BIOS there is at least a 1.6v option in the BIOS editor (ill be able to verify with a voltmeter). Dont know if it will work but there is that option, its not my default "normal" BIOS so I guess that explains it.

Im going to try 1.4v tonight.

My understanding about bioses showing 1.6v options goes back to when Extremetheme was developing OmniextremEdit and then NiBiTor. Because he had no way of knowing what actual volts levels were available from every card, he simply asked people to provide feedback of direct measurements on the different cards. I believe because part of that feedback indicated measurements of around 1.55 on certain high end cards, extremetheme just rounded the max bios option up to 1.6. Subsequent feedback however determined that the max bios option should have been identified as 1.5v. And this is what the newer versions of NiBiTor will set for a GT and Ultra bios when you select to extend the volts table.

Unfortunately though, it means that some 6800GT or Ultra bioses moded by early versions of OmniExtremEdit/NiBiTor will create and show a wrong 1.6v option.

jimmor
06-18-05, 06:55 PM
Where exactly are they on the card?

On my 6800le, the GPU voltage regulator chips are located at the rear underside of the card. and very close to the agp connector edge.

There are two chips, and a fet or vrm (not sure which), and all get extremely hot to the touch when loaded with 3D activity ?

And even if the extreme heat is found to be within the spec of each component, it may long term play havoc with associated solder joints through the multilayer pcb?

Kamel
06-18-05, 07:16 PM
if that's a chilled water cooling setup, you probably will be able to run the max volts easily. even with regular water cooling setups people have made hardware voltmods.

sam375
06-18-05, 09:29 PM
if that's a chilled water cooling setup, you probably will be able to run the max volts easily. even with regular water cooling setups people have made hardware voltmods.

any links? damn i cant find anything on this. guys at the eoc forums told me its a 99% death rate after two weeks even on wc :rolleyes: dont know what to think...

Kamel
06-18-05, 10:43 PM
http://www.vr-zone.com/index.cgi?i=926&s=1

i'm almost positive i read a thread (and i think it was even here, but not sure about that...) that claimed the voltage mod worked for 6800gt's as well. most most definitely do research on that and don't take my word for it if you ever feel the desire.

i'm kinda sad :( i've only got 40K and 20K variable resisters. i guess i could go get a 100K one at radio shack, but i bet it will cost like $10. radio shack sucks :'(

sam375
06-18-05, 11:20 PM
i'm kinda sad :( i've only got 40K and 20K variable resisters. i guess i could go get a 100K one at radio shack, but i bet it will cost like $10. radio shack sucks :'(

They only cost maybe $1. Remember you can add resistance and it works the same, for example 2x 50Ks will be the same as 100K.

sam375
06-18-05, 11:22 PM
im familair with that link, Im just wondering if anyone knows more about the survial rates at higher voltage.

i dont want to hardmod.

Kamel
06-18-05, 11:40 PM
oh, i see...

survival rates, i have no idea. i always kill my hardware before it dies of natural causes anyway though lmao

sam375
06-19-05, 01:41 AM
survival rates, i have no idea. i always kill my hardware before it dies of natural causes anyway though lmao

lol i agree but vid cards are so expensive now. i had my old 9800 Pro up to 2v on air :D

sam375
06-19-05, 04:31 AM
Damn guys... it wont even take 1.4v. Its a power sability issue... it did 480/1200 (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=946004) on stock volts. I had it at 492/1200 1.4v but it forze on the second test of 3DM05, just like it did when I was on air. Man these nvidia cards are hard to mod, kinda miss my 9800 Pro it took higher volts np. Ive got to find a way to get more power to the card, 13C on the core and only 480Mhz... what a waste :(

superklye
06-19-05, 12:05 PM
oh, i see...

This made me laugh. hard. :)

$n][pErMan
06-19-05, 05:27 PM
Anyone wanna start placing bets on how much time it will take untill we hear him say "Opps, guys, I think I fried my card"?? :p (daz) Although if you do get it to work... thats pretty cool.

sam375
06-19-05, 05:30 PM
[pErMan'] "Opps, guys, I think I fried my card"??

that happend last night. turned out that a drop of water shorted my mobo, but all is well now. thats quite the gif you have there, compensating for something? :D

Kamel
06-19-05, 05:38 PM
lol sam, you just need a new psu i guess.... 480 on air without volt modding o_O! you are one lucky sob, the highest i've ever heard without volt modding is 440mhz.

sam375
06-19-05, 06:12 PM
I have a Antec truepower 480W... jesus christ for the last time it didnt hit 480Mhz on air cooling, it was chilled wc. Like that was totally the title of the thread and all, omg. Whew... mkay. I dont know if this is just a joke to you guys but personally im sick of being owned by ATi on single card benchmarks. Uhh, thanks for the replies all.

$n][pErMan
06-19-05, 07:46 PM
that happend last night. turned out that a drop of water shorted my mobo, but all is well now. thats quite the gif you have there, compensating for something? :D
what gif are you talking about? :confused:

Kamel
06-19-05, 11:32 PM
I have a Antec truepower 480W... jesus christ for the last time it didnt hit 480Mhz on air cooling, it was chilled wc. Like that was totally the title of the thread and all, omg. Whew... mkay. I dont know if this is just a joke to you guys but personally im sick of being owned by ATi on single card benchmarks. Uhh, thanks for the replies all.

i guess i got confused *shrugs* sorry, heh. even chilled wc that's very impressive without upping the volts yet.

sam375
06-20-05, 12:00 AM
lol. no worries guys... guess im just stuck at stock volts. worse things have happend in my life, ill just move on.