PDA

View Full Version : The fan on my GT is really starting to piss me off

Pages : [1] 2

superklye
06-18-05, 10:31 AM
It speeds up LOUDLY every 5 seconds or so, just for a second, but sometimes it stays on for 10 or more seconds at a time and it's just idling. I don't get it. It's so obnoxious and annoying and it's keeping me awake.

I seem to remember other people talking about this and complaining, but I never had a problem. I just noticed in the last month or so that mine does this, but maybe it's because I have a bigger case with quieter fans now.

I downloaded RivaTuner becuase I thought I remembered someone saying that there were fan controls in there. Ugh! This is so ridiculous!

BioHazZarD
06-18-05, 10:33 AM
Yeah the fans on some 6800 are real crap quality.

superklye
06-18-05, 10:42 AM
Yeah, RivaTuner did nothing so I'm just shutting this thing off while I go back to bed for a few hours.

superklye
06-18-05, 11:31 AM
I would love to get a Zalman or an NV5 silencer, but I'm terrified of cracking the core of the GPU. I normally don't have problems sleeping with it on, but that's 'cause the windows are usually open.

Last night was cold and there were rats outside making SO much noise in the parking lot that I had to close the window. So it got quiet...plus with all the ex BS on my mind, sleep wasn't coming easy.

Ah well. If the card didn't kick as much ass as it does, we'd have a problem I think.

Milfeulle
06-18-05, 11:42 AM
Indeed, the 6800 GT fans suck badly - they're noisy, and the card still stays quite hot :thumbdwn:
I've heard some complaints about the Silencer, so you'd be better off putting the Zalman on your card. It's quite easy, so you don't need to be worried.
Here are some instructions for mounting the Zalman:
http://3dfusion.de/forum/showthread.php?t=10954

Kamel
06-18-05, 11:48 AM
don't worry superklye, if you should speak to anyone who's good at destroying hardware, i'm your man.

the zalman vf700-cu is basically impossible to crack your core with. the way it mounts makes it very simple and straight-forward. i've cracked cores, removed IHS's on cards, and exchanged countless heatsinks on video cards, lol -- one thing i've never done is cracked a core with a quality heatsink. i did, however, crack a core bad with a freaking compusa heatsink, NEVER get compusa heatsinks. i wanted to sell it used, but i was afraid someone else would crack their core on it too.

anyway, that said, you should indeed worry about craptastic heatsinks, but quality ones like zalman and nvsilencer series, you shouldn't have to worry about unless you're being a total idiot when you put it on, lol.

as a side note, what cores don't like as far as getting crushed is 2 things, moving the heatsink on the core, bumping it, and applying pressure unevenly. generally you can slide it around a little bit (and almost always need to), never ever apply uneven pressure on the core, and bumping it, of course, is probably the worst thing you can do. it's hard to land a heatsink on it perfectly without atleast a little bit of an abrupt stop, but be very careful that you don't go overboard with that.

alright, i've said enough lol... i should change my title to hardware serial killer

subbo
06-18-05, 12:01 PM
Last night was cold and there were rats outside making SO much noise in the parking lot that I had to close the window. So it got quiet...plus with all the ex BS on my mind, sleep wasn't coming easy.

We dont have rats here in good ol scandinavia (rats are orignally tropical animals that do not survive winter without humans), well only on dump sites, but last night around 3am I was playing BF2 demo and heard a weird clanking noise outside. I thought some f'er was stealing my car so I opened the door and there was this HUGE moose mofo eating the yard lamp. So I clapped my hands and yelled at it and it made some threatening noises but then turned away and ran.

The neighbor said it was probably eating the white lamp cause it thought it was some chalk stone or something people hang up for them in the forest.

Damn moose mofos eating my lamps!

superklye
06-18-05, 12:22 PM
alright, i've said enough lol... i should change my title to hardware serial killer
hahaha

Milfeulle
06-18-05, 12:30 PM
Guess I can be happy that we're having neither rat plagues nor moose over here in Germany :D
But there can still be some sh!tty pooch that starts yapping in the night for no good reason... :mad:

superklye
06-18-05, 12:31 PM
Indeed, the 6800 GT fans suck badly - they're noisy, and the card still stays quite hot :thumbdwn:
I've heard some complaints about the Silencer, so you'd be better off putting the Zalman on your card. It's quite easy, so you don't need to be worried.
Here are some instructions for mounting the Zalman:
http://3dfusion.de/forum/showthread.php?t=10954
And thanks for the instructions...the pictures are great, but my German is rusty. I took it for 7 years, but I haven't spoke/read it regularly in over 2. :)

Milfeulle
06-18-05, 12:40 PM
And thanks for the instructions...the pictures are great, but my German is rusty. I took it for 7 years, but I haven't spoke/read it regularly in over 2. :)
Guess that's a good opportunity to brush up your German skills then :D
I can help you if there's something you don't understand :)

superklye
06-18-05, 12:43 PM
Awesome, I appreciate that. I think I may order it, but it won't be for a week or two.

I wish TigerDirect had it on their site. With my Visa Extras program, I get 15 points per dollar there (instead of only 1 per dollar at NewEgg).

j0j081
06-18-05, 07:44 PM
I just got a Zalman and it was a peice of cake to install espeically considering it was my first time using thermal grease.

vX
06-18-05, 08:20 PM
7800 is soon to be out, you were braggin back there a few threads ago how you have $500 right now, hold onto it and upgrade this annoyingly loud fan, spite the card for the fans noise, problem solved. :D

Roliath
06-18-05, 08:33 PM
Damn moose mofos eating my lamps!
LOL!! Funniest thing i've heard all day!!! Thanks!

Acid Rain
06-18-05, 08:46 PM
I would love to get a Zalman or an NV5 silencer, but I'm terrified of cracking the core of the GPU. Dude, I don't know why people have mentioned cracking the core so much. Mine was so easy an install. I can't see how you could crack that beefy, well protected core, unless you are a complete, lumbering oaf.

I mean, like, 36 IQ points and a WHOLE LOTTA FORCE.

Get the Zalman, Super. That's what I'd do if I were you. Also, your fan shouldn't be doing that, so all the more reason to get the Zalman.

Oh, and remember, by default you are not clumsy. It's impatience that makes a guy clumsy. Take your time, visualize what you are doing, follow the easy instructions, and, if you wish, use the paste they give you if you are afraid of AS5. Reviews say their paste is just about the same as AS5, cooling-wise, and it is easier to apply. I used AS5, and that was cake, too.

superklye
06-18-05, 09:58 PM
7800 is soon to be out, you were braggin back there a few threads ago how you have $500 right now, hold onto it and upgrade this annoyingly loud fan, spite the card for the fans noise, problem solved. :D
I thought about that...but what good would it do with my Barton? Not much. The 6800GT is barely doing all it could because of my CPU.

No, I think I'm gonna use that $500 for a 1000W home theater system. *drools*

superklye
06-18-05, 09:59 PM
Dude, I don't know why people have mentioned cracking the core so much. Mine was so easy an install. I can't see how you could crack that beefy, well protected core, unless you are a complete, lumbering oaf.

I mean, like, 36 IQ points and a WHOLE LOTTA FORCE.

Get the Zalman, Super. That's what I'd do if I were you. Also, your fan shouldn't be doing that, so all the more reason to get the Zalman.

Oh, and remember, by default you are not clumsy. It's impatience that makes a guy clumsy. Take your time, visualize what you are doing, follow the easy instructions, and, if you wish, use the paste they give you if you are afraid of AS5. Reviews say their paste is just about the same as AS5, cooling-wise, and it is easier to apply. I used AS5, and that was cake, too.
Oh, I'll definitely be using AS5. I use nothing less. :) It's been a dream for my CPU and the GPU should have the same.

Kamel
06-18-05, 10:06 PM
i'm about to sell my zalman vf700-cu, i'll give you a good deal on it if you want me to contact you first (as soon as my waterblock comes in the mail, and it's already been ordered).

joshua7
06-19-05, 05:51 AM
subbo:
how far would your MSI go? I cannot get mine above 375mhz at 1.3v. It s*cks!

superklye
06-19-05, 01:02 PM
i'm about to sell my zalman vf700-cu, i'll give you a good deal on it if you want me to contact you first (as soon as my waterblock comes in the mail, and it's already been ordered).
let me know. :)

junkbond-jones
06-19-05, 02:31 PM
shhh it can hear you.. if ya want it to quiet down you must apologize :p

subbo
06-19-05, 04:04 PM
subbo:
how far would your MSI go? I cannot get mine above 375mhz at 1.3v. It s*cks!

Well in all honesty it only goes to ~385 1.08 with a game like BF2 that really puts it through its paces. If I put the core clock higher than that (ie what the auto-overclock gives ~402 1.08) I start seeing black spots of one pixel in the sky and some of the wall textures in BF2. But I dont see any problems in games like doom3. So only recently with BF2 77.30 I had to drop the clock to 385.

Mine originally came with the copper sink with fan speed adjuster btw, I loved that thing for the brief moment till I got my waterblock. My friend also has the MSI with copper, the weight alone says alot compared to the featherweight reference design on the gt and the ultra.

killahsin
06-20-05, 07:06 AM

I have bears hedgehogs, groundhogs, wild dogs, etc etc all out on the hills behind my house oh coyotes and wolves too. No rats though thank god, oh btw the bears i'm refering too are grizzlies. But as long as i don't have rats! woohoo

crainger
06-21-05, 12:37 AM
Well here we get Parrots... Hundreds and Hundreds of Parrots all day long... Parrots, At my house, at the Uni, at Work... Parrots.