PDA

View Full Version : mounting things on the eVGA 6800gt SUCKS! (please help)

Kamel
06-18-05, 10:24 PM
alright, i got an eVGA 6800gt, actually one of the reasons i like eVGA distributer is because they generally have a ton of mounting holes, atleast they did in the 5900u series. i decide i want to upgrade the cooling on my 6800gt, so i get out my trusty dusty custom heatsink, it doesn't fit :'(. the mounting holes that it require are missing, and the other holes are too small. so, i decide to go with the zalman vf700-cu on it. this seems to work just fine, and great cooling. so then i get a water cooling system with a waterblock that would be perfect for it. i try it out, the holes are too small, and the holes (same ones) that i would have used otherwise as missing! once i find this out, i've got everything taken apart, and now i've lost a screw to my zalman and can't put it back on.. i don't think i could ever even figure out how to put the stock hsf back on either :'(

anyone know any tricks for mounting things on this horrible design of a card? or am i stuck with what i've got?

thanks for any help.

Kamel
06-18-05, 11:04 PM
alright, i found the screw, so that brings much relief. i am still pissed about this card's lack of good mounting holes. wonder why i've never heard anyone mention anything about it =\

vX
06-18-05, 11:08 PM
sorry man, I didnt know about it , I dont really follow that kinda stuff. =/

Auswak
06-18-05, 11:17 PM
EVGA's card are 100% NVidia reference design, the way they were meant to be.

You would have the same problem with any other brand that remains with the reference design.

Also the GeForce6 series did require 3rd party cooling solutions to redesign specifically for the GF6 family, and there are many that did.

:)

Kamel
06-18-05, 11:22 PM
heh, not your fault vX :p i'll find a way, i just am pissed at eVGA for removing their awesome mounting holes they used to have.

edit: so all of them axed it? that sucks, i really liked those holes, oh well. them there holes were big enough to put a fair sized mounting screw through, the smaller holes require an itty bitty thing that probably wont be able to hold much weight.

Kojiro
06-20-05, 02:37 PM
You forget that they don't realy want people to change the stock cooler. The senario where a dude tried to change the cooler and damaged it by either during installation or fried it, then put back on the original cooler and tries to RMA it, probably happened way to often.

Ninjaman09
06-20-05, 02:40 PM
I dunno, I put a Koolance GPU cooler on my eVGA 6800GT and it fit perfectly. Looked like there were a ton of holes on it.

FraGTastiK
06-20-05, 02:59 PM
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped. logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.

wow that's... that's alot!

I remember cracking my A7N8X Deluxe boarad some place around the CPU socket when I was trying to remove a crappy coolermaster.

I've also accidentaly killed my A64 3400+ once,with static.

Kamel
06-21-05, 12:17 AM
I dunno, I put a Koolance GPU cooler on my eVGA 6800GT and it fit perfectly. Looked like there were a ton of holes on it.

yes, but none of them are in the right spot... if i get a digital camera some day (may be in several months, lol), i may take a picture and show you what i mean :D

sam375
06-21-05, 01:10 AM
hell I got an XP-90 on there...

the 6800GT a great candidate for custom heatsinks because of its large size and everything around the core is flat. You can pretty much get whatever you want to fit on there, it will just take a custom mount and some screws, or just zipties. I ran the card for about 3 months with an XP-90 on there. Never had any problems. Getting a custom heatsink on my 9800 Pro was about twice as hard. What does the heatsink look like?

Ninjaman09
06-21-05, 09:45 AM
You put an XP-90 on a graphics card? Weren't you worried about it, you know, breaking the card? :wtf:

sam375
06-21-05, 04:37 PM
You put an XP-90 on a graphics card? Weren't you worried about it, you know, breaking the card? :wtf:

i was careful.