PDA

View Full Version : I have severe missing textures/artifacting in HL2, help!

mcq3000
06-19-05, 03:15 PM
Ok I just put a new AMD San Diego 3700+ system with a Evga 6800GT card. I am running 71.89 Drivers. In Half-life 2 I set res to 1600X1200 and AA to 2X and AF to 8X and I am getting the following image problems shown below, I have nvtweak and nhancer installed but I have set overclocking options to manual and my cpu and memory speeds are 350 and 1000 respectivaly under clock frequency settings in nvidia display control panel. Anyone know what might be causing this? In the other games I have tried, GTA San ANdreas and winning eleven seven I get no such artifacting. Is my card busted?? I bought it used second hand, you guys think maybe I was taken and the guy sold it to me because it is defective?

http://home.comcast.net/~oowilliams/nvnews/pic01.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~oowilliams/nvnews/pic02.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~oowilliams/nvnews/pic03.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~oowilliams/nvnews/pic04.jpg

Roadhog
06-19-05, 03:22 PM
it could be getting to hot

mcq3000
06-19-05, 03:30 PM
well under temps it says 74 degrees when not running any games, can I alt tab while playing half life and check the temps and will it indicate the temp while doing 3d or when i alt tab will the game pause andwill the temp go back to idle? my ambient temp is like 48 as read from the Asus AI Utility, the Nvidia panel reads 51 for ambient, 69 for gpu core when not running any game. Is this really hot?

rohit
06-19-05, 03:46 PM
Nvidia panel reads 51 for ambient, 69 for gpu core when not running any game. Is this really hot?
Ya pretty hot, keeps your CASE opened, and check wether the temps go down, if yes, then try hl2 and check..

P.S: you are using 71.89 drivers, these drivers have temp bug.
get a good set of drivers like 76.44whql, and then try!

Link to 76.44: http://194.71.11.70/pub/games/PC/guru3d/nvidia/7644-%5BGuru3D.com%5D.exe

Kamel
06-19-05, 04:46 PM
might also be the fact that there's still reminence of old video card drivers on your system. the best way to avoid that is a fresh reformat, then you'll know if it's hardware of software generally.

watever
06-19-05, 05:12 PM
might want to take the card out, take apart the heatsink and check if u have major dust build up. Alot of the times, thats the culprit of high temps.

mcq3000
06-19-05, 05:19 PM
i did a brand new install so its definately not a video drivers being left behind.

I just tried unreal 2004, and my God it looks like crap, I really do not get what is going on, no artifacting but everything looks blan, and this is on 1600X1200 with everything set to highest detail settings. The Weapon textures seem to be missing as well as stuff in the level itself

I will try the new drivers that u suggested rahit, thanks for the input so far guys

Also dont those scores for Half-Life esp at the intro section look pretty bad, 30FPS seems very low.

http://home.comcast.net/~oowilliams/nvnews/pic05.jpg

mcq3000
06-19-05, 05:21 PM
ok but what temps should I be getting, I mean 70 degrees, is that like really high above normal?

mcq3000
06-19-05, 05:56 PM
well I just played the game some more, it happens in the exact same spots in the game, that same gate always has textures missing and some other box has the textures missing. If it was overheating wouldnt it happen in random spots? I loaded the game like 6 times now and its the exact same places in the intro screen and so forth. Plus my other games do not do this though UT 2004 as pictured above does seem kinda bland texturewise. Do you think its a botched Half-Life 2 download as I did download the whole thing online via steam.

Kamel
06-19-05, 06:20 PM
no, overheating warrants an instable core, an instable core warrants certain graphical effects not functioning properly. more than possible that you'll see the same problems over and over, if you've overclocking and checking for artifacts this is evident as well.

try underclocking your card for the heck of it to see if that fixes it... not to say leave it like that, but to figure out if it is the temps or not... probably the easiest way to tell.

mcq3000
06-20-05, 01:32 AM
well I clocked it down to 133/500 and it still did it., tested out farcry and not a single missing textur eor anything. I deleted the game and I am redownloading it, I'll see if that fixes it

rohit
06-20-05, 01:00 PM
seems like your card's gone wild, i guess time for RMA.
Before that

Last try, use drivers version 67.03whql. the most stable GF6 series drivers till date.

zoomy942
06-20-05, 01:06 PM
get a good cooler for your card. that will slowly kill your card, but heat does some nutty things. i think 74 is really hot.

mine is at 45 all the time. and anything below about 60 is a good goal to shoot for. these chips are very robust and can take a beating, but they are not happy campers when heated up

Ninjaman09
06-20-05, 01:21 PM
69 is pretty high for idle temp. What it seems like to me is that the card itself is just bad. Usually artifacts like those are caused by data corruption in the VRAM. I'd talk to the person you bought the card from and ask what kind of overclocking was done on it before you got it. It seems like whoever had it before fried the card and sold it that way.

I think mine idles around 50 or so and load is usually about 70-75.

mcq3000
06-20-05, 08:36 PM
****, this sucks bad. Just played it some more and it happens all over the place as I progress. You guys are right. You think I will be able to rma it with no issues through evga. Anything i should know about the process before I call them up? I do not have a box or anything just the card, I hope it has a serial number sticker at least, and whats the warranty for those things? And is evga reputable for RMAs?

rohit
06-21-05, 01:55 PM
****, this sucks bad. Just played it some more and it happens all over the place as I progress. You guys are right. You think I will be able to rma it with no issues through evga. Anything i should know about the process before I call them up? I do not have a box or anything just the card, I hope it has a serial number sticker at least, and whats the warranty for those things? And is evga reputable for RMAs?
You bought a new card or a used card?

Milfeulle
06-21-05, 02:22 PM
That could be a problem... some companies only give warranty to the original owner of the card.
I'd still try it though and see what they say.

mcq3000
06-21-05, 05:59 PM
I bought it used. I just redownloaded HL2 and it is GONE! No corruption at all since playing, all textures and everything are there! so it was a corrupted download, what a relief

rohit
06-21-05, 06:01 PM
Good!
what about UT2k4?

mcq3000
06-21-05, 09:55 PM
well I posted the screenshot of ut2k4 in the previous page. DOes it look normal to you guys? Anything out of place in the screenshot? Its been a while since I played it but I was under the impression that it looked better on my old 9800XT system than it does now. Maybe's its all in my head, I don't know