PDA

View Full Version : 6800 GT freeze fix

Bio}{azard
06-19-05, 07:52 PM
I noticed the tread with the 6800 series lockups. I'd like to share an experience I had with mine that may be of help to others.

My main programming PC is an FX55 with a 6800Ultra. Great machine and havenít had a single issue with it. My son's PC is a FX 51 with a 6800GT. Both of us were, of course, eager to play the BF2 demo. Ran sweet on my machine, but ran horrible on his. I thought about it a bit and figured our machines are not that far apart in performance.

I upgraded the bios and checked over all the stupid settings. Everything was in order, but the game would constantly lock up for 2-3 seconds every 15-30 seconds. It was somewhat dependant on resolution and eye candy level. I checked CPU temps and GPU temps and all were well within specs. (GPU was 67C in game and CPU was 135F in game)

I toy around with solar power a bit and as part of that hobby I like to know exactly how much power any device uses. I run my laptop, and nearly all my switches routers, monitors, printers, etc all from solar. Anyway, I had hooked up my 'kill-a-watt' monitor to the PC before testing. I noted the watts used while at the desktop and in game.

At windows desktop, the PC used 120-125 Watts of power. When I entered BF2, it jumped to 150 Watts at the menu screens, and then about 200 watts while playing. Not important now, just remember this

I then went into the bios and fiddles around. 3-4 reboots later I found the settings that worked.

1. Disabled Fast Writes
2. Disabled Side band addressing
3. AGP Aperture size 512 meg

I then tested the game. It ran absolutely perfect. I turned on all the eye candy and 4X AA and it runs smooth as silk. Now, the strange part.. While playing the game, the system used 150Watts peak vs the 200Watts with the other settings.

System board is an Asus SK8N.

Anyway, I've been a great fan of your site and have been visiting it daily for years. I just thought I'd share these findings with your guys. Maybe it will help someone else.

OWA
06-19-05, 08:20 PM
I don't have any issues but welcome and thanks for sharing your findings. Hopefully it'll help those that do..

toxikneedle
06-19-05, 08:36 PM
Hey I want to try this out but I can't seem to find a way to disable Sideband Addressing. Can you help me where I can disable it. It's turned on for me and I can't seem to be able to turn it off.

Karma_Police_77
06-19-05, 09:27 PM
Intel platform is way stable...

j0j081
06-20-05, 01:52 AM
Intel platform is way stable...
ban!

macatak
06-20-05, 02:07 AM
Hey I want to try this out but I can't seem to find a way to disable Sideband Addressing. Can you help me where I can disable it. It's turned on for me and I can't seem to be able to turn it off.

I think this can be done with RivaTuner if you install the nvStrap driver

gram_vaz
06-20-05, 02:19 AM
you can also disable it in powerstrip.

Aurthus
06-20-05, 12:21 PM
Same problem here with my system. just turning fw off fixed it for me. I've never had a problem with fw on till now so that was the first thing i changed and it works great.