PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED!! Howto get NVidia driver installed on Solaris10

gireeshbhat
06-19-05, 09:51 PM
Although the NVidia readme says it supports Quadro cards only, I have it working like a champ on my GeForce FX 5200 card on Solaris10.
Here is how to get it working;
1. As su, run /usr/X11/bin/xorgconfig. Answer the questions as appropriate
and the program will create an xorg.conf in /etc/X11.
2. Run kdmconfig and change from the xsun server to xorg server.
3. Download the NVidia driver for Solaris from their website
4. Read the README and run the file as per instructions
5. Run /usr/X11/bin/scanpci and check the pci id of your NVidia card.
6. run the command
update_drv -a -i '"pcixxxx,xxx"' nvidia
where the xxxs are filled by the values you got from scanpci command. Don't forget the quotes ' and ". One thing to note here,scanpci gave me a PCI ID for my GeForce 5200 as 0x10de 0x0322. Entering it as '"pci10de,0322"' failed. I had to go into /etc/driver_aliases and drop the 0 in 0322. Finicky eh?
7.Edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file anc change the entry that reads "nv" to "nvidia"
8. Finally as root run the following command
# reboot -- -r
and enjoy NVidia 3d acceleration in all its glory on
Solaris. Dont forget to run nvidia-settings and check your options there
including cursor shadow

Best Regards
Gireesh

PS: Thanks sml for pointing out that update_drv command needs the name nvidia at the end.

mannomann
09-17-05, 05:01 AM
Hi,

thx for your HowTo. With that one, it was easy to succeed in installing my FX Go 5200.

Works fine now.

Cheers

Mannomann

dewarrn1
09-19-05, 11:45 PM
So I tried this out, but now my Solaris installation hangs immediately after the load-time message about the Nvidia driver. Any thoughts?

paulgress
09-23-05, 02:17 AM
I had the same thing happen to me, it was because I didn't change the server to "xorg" from kdmconfig, step 2 from the original post.

game-master
09-26-05, 01:14 PM
Thanks for a great guide. This works also for GF6200-based cards (I don't know about GF6200 with turbocache).

nabokov333
09-27-05, 01:55 AM
Good howto. It took me forever to figure out the problem with the leading 0 in /etc/driver_aliases! I'm glad I stumbled on this forum.

nsimpson
10-10-05, 04:40 PM
Thank you so much for posting this! This saved me countless hours of frustration staring at a flickering VGA display!

Note to others: quoting the driver in step 6 with ' and " is crucial.

solarisgeekUK
10-14-05, 05:34 PM
OK, I am greedy. but hey - if you've got it, use it... :)

I've got a pair of Nvidia graphics cards in my system. an FX5200 on the AGP port, and an MX4000 on the first PCI port. I have a fully patched installation of Solaris 10x86 on this box.

I've configured Xorg to work rather nicely with my two cards, and now I've got a shiny lovely Xinerama desktop spanning both screens.

All well and good, I hear you cry? Well - this is where trouble enters our idyllic paradise...

All is good using the standard "nv" drivers that come with Solaris. As soon as I try using the "nvidia" drivers, all hell breaks loose. (OK, OK - only the AGP graphics card works, not the PCI one. Not exactly all hell breaking loose...)

I've followed the instructions given for getting one single card working on my machine, and then tried to double it up - so running update_drv for both the card addresses (referring to the instructions from gireeshbhat at 06-20-05 03:51 AM) but I still only get just the one screen (AGP) waking up.

Can anyone help me out here?

solarisgeekUK
10-15-05, 06:08 AM
So - this motherboard of mine has an Nforce2 chipset on it. Which is making it more difficult to identify which one of the PCI devices is my PCI Nvidia Geforce MX4000 graphics card.

One of these devices listed below is my PCI graphics card. Any ideas which one? :)

(NB: it's NOT the FX 5200 - that's my AGP graphics card)

..........truncated output from /usr/X11/bin/scanpci.............

pci bus 0x0000 cardnum 0x00 function 0x00: vendor 0x10de device 0x01e0
nVidia Corporation nForce2 AGP (different version?)

pci bus 0x0000 cardnum 0x01 function 0x00: vendor 0x10de device 0x0080
nVidia Corporation Device unknown

pci bus 0x0000 cardnum 0x01 function 0x01: vendor 0x10de device 0x0084

pci bus 0x0000 cardnum 0x02 function 0x00: vendor 0x10de device 0x0087

pci bus 0x0000 cardnum 0x02 function 0x01: vendor 0x10de device 0x0087

pci bus 0x0000 cardnum 0x02 function 0x02: vendor 0x10de device 0x0088

pci bus 0x0000 cardnum 0x08 function 0x00: vendor 0x10de device 0x008b

pci bus 0x0000 cardnum 0x09 function 0x00: vendor 0x10de device 0x0085

pci bus 0x0000 cardnum 0x1e function 0x00: vendor 0x10de device 0x01e8
nVidia Corporation nForce2 AGP

pci bus 0x0001 cardnum 0x00 function 0x00: vendor 0x10de device 0x0322
nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]

pci bus 0x0002 cardnum 0x06 function 0x00: vendor 0x10de device 0x0185

..........truncated output from /usr/X11/bin/scanpci.............

coolboarderguy
10-15-05, 09:44 AM
Hi All,

newb here. Quite proficient with Linux, though. I'm using Solaris10 on x86. I have an older GeForce2 card, and have just downloaded the driver from NVidia. I've burned the .run to a CDR and will run it from there as it was naturally too big for a floppy(lol). Is it pretty much as straight forward as the HOWTO states, even for my older card.? Sorry if this is seen as a mundane question. Appreciate any help/advice, in advance. Cheers.

coolboarderguy...

catalan
10-17-05, 01:36 PM
I got it working on a Dell D800 laptop in WUXGA (1920x1200) mode with an older GeForce4 Ti 4200 Go card (32 MB videoram) as described in this thread:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58062

coolboarderguy
10-24-05, 06:28 AM
Hi All,

went to run /usr/X11/bin/xorgconfig. but, get a not found error message. Checked the bin directory, and sure enuff, it's not there. Should I run the driver 1st.? Cheers.

EDIT: I also seem to not have a xorg.conf in /etc/X11. But, after I just ran the .run file, it placed a xorg.conf.nvidia one there. Should I just use that one.?

coolboarderguy...

casevh
10-24-05, 06:56 PM
xorgconfig should be installed by default, at least with a standard Solaris or Solaris Express release. I think some of the OpenSolaris CDs may not install it.

Do you have graphics running at all on your system?

Can you login in to a command prompt and use "kdmconfig" to choose between the Xsun and Xorg Xwindows systems? (You need to choose Xorg to use the Nvidia driver.)

Do you have Xwindows running using the generic "nv" driver?

coolboarderguy
10-25-05, 06:47 AM
xorgconfig should be installed by default, at least with a standard Solaris or Solaris Express release. I think some of the OpenSolaris CDs may not install it.

Do you have graphics running at all on your system?

No.

Can you login in to a command prompt and use "kdmconfig" to choose between the Xsun and Xorg Xwindows systems? (You need to choose Xorg to use the Nvidia driver.)

yes, and selected Xorg. But, it said it couldn7t display or update xorg.conf.

Do you have Xwindows running using the generic "nv" driver?

No.

casevh
10-25-05, 09:52 AM
If you run "kdmconfig" and choose Xsun and then the generic nv driver, can you get Xwindows to run?

This sounds like an incomplete installation. Precisely which version of Solaris did you install?

coolboarderguy
10-28-05, 03:44 AM
If you run "kdmconfig" and choose Xsun and then the generic nv driver, can you get Xwindows to run?

This sounds like an incomplete installation. Precisely which version of Solaris did you install?

I installed Solaris10. Can I just re-install Xorg via the install Cd(s).? I'd to haveta tore-install from scratch. Cheers.

coolboarderguy...

casevh
10-30-05, 10:30 AM
I'm sure there is a way to install Xorg separately, but I've never done it.

Look at the "pkgadd" command. That is the command to load software packages.

I just used "pkginfo" on my system to see how many packages are related to X, and I see 50 or so. It might be easiest to do a complete install. Make sure to install everything; not just the minimum installation.

kebabbert
11-09-05, 08:20 AM
I had the same problem "x server could not start on display 0" or something similar.

It turned out that because I did not chose a standard monitor, but my own specification, it screwed things up. Apparently, I could not chose a monitor of my own, at all. My high resolution specified, was not compatible with the standard monitor.

The solution was simple:
comment out the monitor specification (the hsync line and the vertical resolution) in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and everything worked. That is:

# Hsync given here
31.5-85

should be:
# Hsync given here
# 31.5-85

And the same for vertical.

PS. I have a GeForce 6200 AGP and it works. I run 1600x1200 x75Hz, with virtual desktop

soluser
02-20-06, 02:07 AM
I can't get this to work. The error I get is:

NVIDIA(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
"Screen 1" for depth/fbbpp 1/1
NVIDIA(0): Given color depth (1) is not supported
NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***

The driver seems to be adding its own invalid info to the configuration.

I have a GForce FX 5200.

netllama
02-20-06, 11:27 AM
soluser,
Please generate and post a bug report.

Thanks,
Lonni

soluser
02-20-06, 04:16 PM
soluser,
Please generate and post a bug report.

Thanks,
Lonni

Lonni, do they take bug reports for unsupported boards? I wouldn't have expected so. Anyway I'll see what's involved in placing a bug report.

I tried going back to using the older "nv" driver and it now fails with the same error!

netllama
02-20-06, 04:19 PM
If the 'nv' X driver is failing in the same way, then I'd say something else is wrong in your environment. A few weeks ago, someone else was running into an issue similar to this where they couldn't get more than 8bpp, and it turned out to be a problem with the driver installation.

-Lonni

alex s
08-11-07, 10:08 AM
great guidance! helped me setup my FX5200 after having troubles loading the desktop. many thanks!!! :thumbsup:

horse28
09-26-07, 02:02 PM
My mobo is ASUS DSBV-DX with built in VGA video,32Mb and I got a PCI GeForce FX5500 256 Mb with DVI and VGA ports. The card works well under XP but under Opensolaris so far the only way that I can get it to install and boot is by removing the PCI card and hooking the monitor to the built in port. Even when I tried putting back the PCI card after the installation all I get from it is a badly garbled display and it doesn't boot all the way;just stops at a blinking screen. This so far is a show stopper for me since it seems like a catch 22 because to install the drivers and recognize the card it seems to nned to be plugged in,but I can't boot into Opensolaris with the card installed.
Any ideas?:headexplode: