PDA

View Full Version : 6600GT too hot?

Dravic
06-20-05, 03:39 AM
I recently upgraded to an XpertVision GF 6600GT 128m AGP. I enabled the temp sensor through the bios and the card is running at 64C idle and goes up to 90C when under load.
Isn't this a little hot and can running at this temp damage my card? I run my machine with the top off the case and there's no other PCI cards near it to block any airflow.

gram_vaz
06-20-05, 03:41 AM
that is a moderately high temp though it's still acceptable. your card will slow down and exhibit problems such as artifacting before it gets so hot that it will damage itself so i wouldn't worry about it.

anzak
06-20-05, 04:03 AM
The NV4x GPU's can handle temps up to 120 degrees. Those temps are really high though. If you have any experence removing heatsinks, I'd take it off and use Arctic Silver. Many times too much thermal gunk is used and it only causes the card to run hotter.

vX
06-20-05, 11:38 AM
90c isnt horrible, it's the norm with G6 cards. These aren't like previous gen, where 90c meant your card was fried or darn close. Just make sure you have enough airflow in your case, too many wires all over the place and not enough case fans can drastically make a card hotter.

Kojiro
06-20-05, 02:30 PM
Seems right to me. It has a 120c slowdown threshold so your far from it's limit. These new GPUs take lot's of power (watts). The energy is converted into heat, thus higher temps. It's basic electronics dude :p

Dravic
06-21-05, 07:12 AM
Kool, ta for the replies guys, at least I know my card isn't going to burst into flames :)

Milfeulle
06-21-05, 10:27 AM
It's a little hot indeed, but that seems to be normal for these cards...
If you're worried, you can put a Zalman VF700 on it, which will keep temperatures down, and which will also be more silent :D

Dravic
06-21-05, 12:07 PM
It's a little hot indeed, but that seems to be normal for these cards...
If you're worried, you can put a Zalman VF700 on it, which will keep temperatures down, and which will also be more silent :D
Aye, I'd like to but really don't want to void the warranty in case something goes wrong with the card :(

Milfeulle
06-21-05, 01:57 PM
Aye, I'd like to but really don't want to void the warranty in case something goes wrong with the card :(
In that case, just mount the original cooler back on it before you Rma it.
If you're extra careful, no one will find out :D
Worked for me with my old Radeon 9800 Pro.