PDA

View Full Version : Two computers with nvidia2 failed -- why?

davecs
06-20-05, 10:58 AM
I've searched through these boards, cannot see any other complaints about this but ...

2 years ago I built a new computer around an nforce2 mobo, Asus A7N266VM. After a while, it stopped working. There was a crash which involved a psychedelic screen, that was the last thing that ever appeared on the screen. When you switch it on, the fans come on and everything flashed and whirs, but there's no sound and no video. It can be stopped by holding down the on button.

A year ago I got a Shuttle SN41G2V2. Last week I got exactly the same thing. What was especially weird is that I had been overclocking it and it failed when I returned everything back to normal. When I exited BIOS, that was it! The symptoms on switch-on are identical.

I've just bought an Asus A7N8X-E deluxe, and just realised that this has a similar chipset nforce2 ultra. What should I guard against? And what happened with the others/ Does anyone know?

einstein_314
06-20-05, 01:38 PM
I've searched through these boards, cannot see any other complaints about this but ...

2 years ago I built a new computer around an nforce2 mobo, Asus A7N266VM. After a while, it stopped working. There was a crash which involved a psychedelic screen, that was the last thing that ever appeared on the screen. When you switch it on, the fans come on and everything flashed and whirs, but there's no sound and no video. It can be stopped by holding down the on button.

A year ago I got a Shuttle SN41G2V2. Last week I got exactly the same thing. What was especially weird is that I had been overclocking it and it failed when I returned everything back to normal. When I exited BIOS, that was it! The symptoms on switch-on are identical.

I've just bought an Asus A7N8X-E deluxe, and just realised that this has a similar chipset nforce2 ultra. What should I guard against? And what happened with the others/ Does anyone know?

THe A7N8X-E Deluxe is an excellent board. I've worked with 3 of them, all running Athlon XP 2500+ CPU's overclocked to 3200+ speeds. Not a single problem. They have been running for over a year now everyday of the week.

As far as your other rigs failing, have you tried resetting the bios? Read up in the manual for the correct way to do this for your board. Usually you unplug the computer, remove the battery, move the CLR jumper to clear for 5-10 seconds then move it back to normal. Replace the battery and plug the computer in. If you haven't done that, then I would try it. Other than that, I'm not sure what would cause it.

ricercar
06-20-05, 06:19 PM
Do you use a surge protector or UPS on your computers? Consider that your electrical power is one of the common elements between the machines that failed (assuming you live in the same location).

I lost three machines last week to a power surge. I'm really sensitive to this just now. *snif*

The Shuttle SN41G2 and ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe are each boards that I've owned in multiple copies. Don't give up on the Shuttle yet. The Shuttle board is known to be finicky about CMOS resetting. If you failed with booting while pressing INS then take out the battery and let it set aside for a week. I've had to set one FN41 (SN41G2 board) aside without power or battery for 6 months! (December 04 to May 05) to reset it. Like you, I had overclocked and restored the board to normal clocks when the failure occurred.

The ASUS AN78X-Deluxe (no E) was the most finicky board I've ever used. I had to do an emergency BIOS replacement from backup more than a half dozen times, occasionally just from changing a value and hitting F10 too fast.

I've also had A7N8X VM/400 and NVIDIA nForce2 C17 reference boards go bad while overclocking, and the board was recoverable after removing the battery and letting it sit, in all cases but one. I still have hopes for the last one.

I don't want to scare you off, but my experience suggests that all nForce2 boards sometimes have to be cajoled to reset a CMOS/BIOS problem, and many have to sit in the corner for a bit without CMOS battery before they play nice again.

davecs
06-21-05, 03:10 PM
Thanks guys. I've tried taking out the battery for about 20 minutes with the pins on Bios-reset, with no luck. I'll try your idea. I've put an older Athlon XP2200+ and generic 2x256Mb Ram on the shuttle for safekeeping. Maybe it'll boot up in 6 months if I take the battery out! Don't need drives for a POST, do I?

As for the Asus A7N266VM, I regretted buying that as soon as I got it home and fired it up. I was dual booting Windows 98SE and Mandrake Linux 9.x at the time, and every time in Linux I plugged into three of the USB sockets, it froze, but the other three were fine.

Now the A7N8X-E Deluxe: My only comment is that it has exactly the same processor (XP2500+), graphics card (FX5200) and RAM (2x256 Geil Value PC3200) as in the Shuttle, and unlike the Shuttle I have not overclocked it (yet). But my perception is that it goes faster.

Einstein, can you tell me the CPU Voltage to run the XP2500+ as an XP3200+ and whether any other adjustments, apart from the FSB, need to be made? Thanks.

einstein_314
06-21-05, 04:16 PM
Ok umm, on one of the computers, it's actually the 2500+ mobile chip which is designed to run on a lower voltage than the board supports. So running it at the lowest voltage the board supports is actually boosting it. Other than that, all that needed to be done was turn up the FSB to 200. On the other two, they are regular 2500+ chips. All that I had to do was turn up the FSB. No voltage increase required. I've prime95'd them for hours on end and they are rock solid.

davecs
06-24-05, 07:51 AM
I have now bumped up the FSB to 200MHz, left everything else alone, and it seems OK. I had to return it to 166 then back to 200, because the linux daemon, "cpufreq", would not run @ 200 and caused a freeze, which apparently is why PCLinuxOS preview_9 crashes on some mobos. So I set back to 166, restarted, removed "cpufreq" from the "services" list (daemons), back to 200 and rebooted. Perfect. The computer thinks it's an XP3200+.

A nice side effect of the mobo change is that, so far, I have not been able to replicate the famouse linux GLX crash. Maybe mobo quality is a factor?