View Full Version : Overclocking advice please guys

Sticky Mick
06-20-05, 10:27 AM
AMD64/3000 on ASUS A8V Deluxe m/board

ASUS Utility reports my CPU as:-

Ext clock speed: 200Mhz
Max CPU speed: 2400Mhz
Current CPU speed: 1800Mhz

I`d like to take it higher but I`ve never tinkered with CPU overclocking before (being an ex-Intel fan)http://www.iamviet.com/forum/images/smilies/smilie_yellow_icon_rolleyes.gif

What`s the best and safest way to go about it? I think my cooling is ok, I have 2 case fans installed and the stock "CPU in a box" heatsink and fan.

Ninjaman09
06-20-05, 11:07 AM
Your cooling is not OK for overclocking at all. Most overclockers either use large copper heatsinks with high-airflow fans or water cooling. Either way, you cannot expect very good results with the stock HSF. You also need to understand how overclocking works and what it can do to your system. You will have to overclock your FSB (or HTT as it is called on AMD platforms), which will stress all the components in your computer, including your RAM. No offense but it sounds to me like you are a bit of a novice in the hardware arena. You should try to become more familiar with your computer's hardware and how it works before you try overclocking it. In addition, I can attest that the Asus A8V overclocks like crap.

Riptide
06-20-05, 11:23 AM
Ninja speaks truth. If you want to overclock on air I would suggest a nice copper heatsink like the XP-90C or Zalman 7000cu. I would definitely try to find a good overclocking guide online, it's to complex of a process for us to guide you through it every step of the way. I second the suggestion you get more familiar with how it all works, including the HTT, before you try and do much with it. And if you wanted to overclock the K8T800 is a poor choice. It's a good stable chipset but not a real champ of an overclocker. Nforce3 would've been better if you were planning on that.

zoomy942
06-20-05, 11:42 AM
first, maybe think about a better cooler. just something that will keep your cpu cool, cause you overclocking ability all depends on how cool your cpu is while you are trying speeds.

second, keep you cpu and memory in a 1/1 ratio. amd systems are alot happier like that.

there are a fews guys around here (jakup, for example) info on changing your hypertransport speed to give yourself a little more room. you can lower the hypertransport speed to get a higher FSB.

also, test some voltages. search around here to see what voltages people have used

Ninjaman09
06-20-05, 11:47 AM
first, maybe think about a better cooler. just something that will keep your cpu cool, cause you overclocking ability all depends on how cool your cpu is while you are trying speeds.

second, keep you cpu and memory in a 1/1 ratio. amd systems are alot happier like that.

there are a fews guys around here (jakup, for example) info on changing your hypertransport speed to give yourself a little more room. you can lower the hypertransport speed to get a higher FSB.

also, test some voltages. search around here to see what voltages people have used
All true but I have to say that CPU temperature is not the sole determinant of overclocking stability. I had a Koolance EXOS system hooked up for a while and it kept my CPU very cool, but I still could not get a stable OC. For a 1:1 ratio on an A64 3000 he would need extremely good RAM (TCCD). The motherboard itself makes a huge difference and as Riptide said the K8T800 platform just doesn't overclock well. Very nice stability though. :D

zoomy942
06-20-05, 11:51 AM
All true but I have to say that CPU temperature is not the sole determinant of overclocking stability. I had a Koolance EXOS system hooked up for a while and it kept my CPU very cool, but I still could not get a stable OC. For a 1:1 ratio on an A64 3000 he would need extremely good RAM (TCCD). The motherboard itself makes a huge difference and as Riptide said the K8T800 platform just doesn't overclock well. Very nice stability though. :D

true. i should have been more elaborate. Cooling is important, but the quality of your parts matters too.