PDA

View Full Version : Games Freezing 6800GT, RMA it?

volksjaeger
06-20-05, 12:50 PM
I recently built a new computer, here are the specs

Asus EN6800GT
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Mobo
AMD 3700+
Corsair XMS 3200c2 2G (1Gx2)

So anyway, my games are all freezing and my computer will either reboot on it's own or I will be forced to reboot it, and in 3DMark05 it will freeze and reboot during the second test.

I've updated the drivers to most recent, I've monitered my heat (not overheating), I've turned off FastWrites, I've checked my memory.

I think it's the Graphics card, and I don't know what to try now. I'm almost inclined to think it's defective and return it for another card.

Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

nas82
06-20-05, 03:50 PM
What kind of PSU do you have and what are the amps on the 12v rail? I do not believe it is the video card. Also try one gig of ram instead of 2.

volksjaeger
06-20-05, 07:59 PM
+12V@18A;-12V@0.8A

It's a ThermalTake Silent Purepower 480W

Karma_Police_77
06-20-05, 08:05 PM
Sound card or IDE cables believe it or not...

volksjaeger
06-20-05, 09:32 PM
I have an integrated audio and I'm using the Nforce audio drivers...so what would be wrong with my IDE cable?

Thanks for your help so far...this has been driving me nuts

I'm just using the standard ribbon IDE cable for my disk drive, my HD runs on as SATAII

volksjaeger
06-20-05, 09:54 PM
Already ram memtest, passed the test twice in a row, then I stopped it.

Kamel
06-20-05, 10:04 PM
twice in a row isn't substantial. for a bare minimum you need 7 passes. generally i go for 32 passes for certain stability. then after that, i do prime95 for 8+ hours. if that completes, i generally say that it is decently stable. i've seen people who's system failed after 16+ hours of stress testing though. it takes a lot of time to find the ugly instabilities sometimes.

volksjaeger
06-20-05, 10:24 PM
Hell...well thanks much, I'll leave it running all night tonight, other than checking my ram any other ideas?

Kamel
06-20-05, 11:51 PM
it could be the card, causing BSOD's. windows xp automagically reboots for you when you get a bsod by default iirc, so it could be an instability there. that could mean many things, could mean bad drivers, bad card, insufficiant power supply unit, the list goes on.

volksjaeger
06-21-05, 09:51 AM
Well ran memtest all night, it passed 16 tests with no errors, I'm never getting a BSOD, it'll just go black and reboot or freeze until I manually reboot it. I'm not getting the error message from bad drivers at startup (I had that happen to me before). Is there any way I can test for an insufficent power supply? I have 480W, and according to my mobo all I need is 500W to run 2 video cards and have every damn slot in the mobo taken, but all I have is one HD, one CD/DVD dirve, a wireless router, and a video card. My mouse and keyboard are plugged in through a powered hub to reduce power consumption.

As I said in the first post...I'm thinking it's a bad card, but I want to be sure.