PDA

View Full Version : Sympathy time...

Riptide
06-21-05, 12:00 AM
2 out of 3 kits of OCZ memory I've bought from newegg have come defective. One kit, 2x512MB Rev. 2 Platinum. Just bought a kit of 2x1GB Platinum that also came defective. This is very, very disappointing. I have to say that at this point I wonder what is going on @ OCZ, do they actually test this stuff or what? I have to assume this is just bad luck on my part because I don't see the rest of you complaining about this garbage.

In the case of the Revision 2 1GB kit the wife's A8V would not POST with both sticks in dual channel. The DIMMs singly would work, but not together. The replacement kit fixed that, but these were brand new DIMMs right out of the box.

The kit I just tried "upgrading" to tonight was the new 2x1GB Platinum (2-3-2-5). This was in my Abit AV8. System would not POST with both DIMMs in so I tried them one at a time and sure enough, one of the DIMMs would not work at all even by itself. So it appears that I have a second kit that was crap right out of the box.

What the hell is going on here? Gimme some sympathy here fellas, I can't believe this is happening to me. :eek:

radial
06-21-05, 01:22 AM
I feel your pain. There's nothing worse than buying faulty hardware.

Mith192
06-21-05, 01:42 AM
Yea it sucks when that happens I once got a Gigabyte Nforce2 motherboard it worked for 2days then quite working RMAd it didnt work i RMA 5 times i finaly gave up

Ninjaman09
06-21-05, 06:57 AM
Yeesh, I dunno, that sucks man. I know that OCZ is extremely helpful though, try giving them a call. They'll replace the RAM for free.

Riptide
06-21-05, 08:11 AM
Yeah I'll call them this morning. Sucks they don't open until 10AM my time, noon if you live on the east coast. But anyway they have great service I just can't believe 2/3 kits have been bad like this. I have to seriously question whether this stuff is tested or not. Maybe, maybe not... Who knows now.

Ninjaman09
06-21-05, 08:16 AM
Yeah, that's weird. They're supposed to test all the chips they ship out.

Riptide
06-21-05, 08:26 AM
Well FWIW I have a reputation amongst my friends for having very very bad luck when it comes to ordering parts over the internet. And it is seriously almost uncanny, to the point it has almost made me become religious or believe in curses. I'm dead serious it's that bad. If I had a list of parts of the years, including things for my fish tank, that came defective I could write a book. No exagerration.

CainSyris
06-21-05, 11:04 PM
Having experienced VIA in the past, I wouldn't discount the possibility that your motherboard is simply not as agreeable as the nForce motherboards OCZ tests its memory with to ensure smooth compatibility.

Going VIA has its disadvantages.

Riptide
06-22-05, 07:36 AM
Seems unlikely when the system will POST with one of the two sticks in, not to mention my EL Rev. 2 worked fine.

zoomy942
06-22-05, 07:59 AM
i know i am gonna hear it for this but...

i have never been a fan of OCZ. to me, it's like buying a mercedes... i can get the same features for $30,000 less in an infiniti.

i always feel like i am buying the name. my feeling is, 3 strikes and your out. If OCZ helps you out (and the probably will) and things still dont work out, try a different brand. i have always liked Geil and Patriot. good luck though.

there is nothing worse than being excited about some new hardware and have it now work!

Riptide
06-22-05, 08:20 AM
Well FWIW I'm probably going to try Corsair after this. That is, after my replacement kit comes if it still won't work as advertised.

I agree that the motherboard could be a problem here, it's just not likely. Another guy over on abxzone also had several kits of OCZ PC3700 Gold that were bad as well. Two out of the box and one that died after a couple months. Not exactly confidence inspring.