PDA

View Full Version : 3200C2 and 3200LL Timings

ralinn
06-21-05, 10:16 AM
Hi guys,

Got myself into a pit of a pickle here, hope you can help. I'm a bit new to the RAM timings etc so I have no idea what to do.

I have 4 Memory sticks...

Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200C2 Pro TwinX (2x512MB)

&

Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200LL Pro TwinX (2x512MB) (apparently, they don't do these anymore :( )

I began with the 3200LL's and they worked great but I decided to get another gig of memory so I got the 3200C2's. When I put them it, it only detected 1GB even though I had all four sticks in :(

I understand that because they differ from eachother, that I will need to change the timings manually on the motherboard BIOS correct?

Do I change them all to 2-3-2-6 ? If so... here is my BIOS timings screen... What do I change? (Note that this is a picture from the manual so these are not my settings, I just need to know which ones to change to what for 2-3-2-6)

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~rlinn/gay.JPG

Hope you guys can help, thanks for your time :)

Russ

|JuiceZ|
06-21-05, 10:24 AM
Hrm....regardless of your timings, your bios should still detect a total of 2gb of system ram so that could be a seperate problem. Be sure to check your mb requirements for using all 4 memory slots. In regards to your ram timings, there's a good possibility that the 3200C2 & 3200LL modules use different timings so you may have to compromise and run them more a little higher than spec in order to use both types on the same board. I know some members here use those sticks so someone should be able to tell you what the base specs are if you can't find them on corsair's www.

nVestor
06-21-05, 10:35 AM
Make sure you have the lastest BIOS, because that is odd that it isn't detecting the other GB of mem.

Get CPU-Z here: http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php

What I would do is stick one set in at a time and set the BIOS option for detecting the speed of your memory to auto. Each memory module has an I.D. that tells the BIOS the proper timings to run it as.

Once you have done that you will be able to open up CPU-Z from Windows and click on the memory tab. This will show you the current stock timings of the pair of modules you currently have in the system. **Record the info - CAS / tRCD / tRP / tRAS

Shutdown and replace the memory with the other pair, open up CPU-Z and record the memory timing info again on this pair.

I believe that your memory is going to run at the slowest memories speed. So even if you have one set that will do 2-2-2-6, while the other will only do 2-3-2-7, they will both have to run 2-3-2-7 unless the slower memory is capable of running 2-2-2-6 in say, MemTest86.

I'd try that :)

ralinn
06-21-05, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I've just got back from work and about to get a bit e to eat. After that I'll give all of it a go :)

Thanks again, I'm sure I will be back ^_^

ralinn
06-21-05, 04:47 PM
It's all sorted now, just updated my Bios and now everything is working fine. I thought I had the latest Bios but there was one release quite recently for my mobo (Abit AV8). It now knows that I have 2gb and it is all running fine on auto :)

Thanks nVestor and JuiceZ for your time and help, if it wasn't for you I would be buying more ram and having the guys at work laughing at me :D

Thanks again :D