PDA

View Full Version : Pentium M - Question?

Toss3
06-21-05, 05:42 PM
Okey so here's the deal: I was thinking about getting a new processor(for gaming, I was thinking about an Intel 3,2Ghz), a new psu and another GB of ram.

But then I ran into the Pentium M -> 478 adapter and things changed; the pentium M is nearly as good as a FX-55 in games, it lacks behind in other parts though. But I use my computer mainly for gaming and I was thinking about getting one of these..

So, here's my question: Would I be able to overclock a 1.866Ghz Dothan Pentium M, much with my watercooling(I was thinking about 500mhz or so)? and is it worth buying one of these if my main priority is gaming(I wouldn't have to buy a new psu)?

I got even more excited after I read tom's hardware review of the pentium M: http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050525/pentium4-21.html

skypx
06-21-05, 06:27 PM
Okey so here's the deal: I was thinking about getting a new processor(for gaming, I was thinking about an Intel 3,2Ghz), a new psu and another GB of ram.

But then I ran into the Pentium M -> 478 adapter and things changed; the pentium M is nearly as good as a FX-55 in games, it lacks behind in other parts though. But I use my computer mainly for gaming and I was thinking about getting one of these..

So, here's my question: Would I be able to overclock a 1.866Ghz Dothan Pentium M, much with my watercooling(I was thinking about 500mhz or so)? and is it worth buying one of these if my main priority is gaming(I wouldn't have to buy a new psu)?

I got even more excited after I read tom's hardware review of the pentium M: http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050525/pentium4-21.html

Dude, it you are looking for a gaming machine AMD is the way to go. If you want to waste your hard earned cash and have false hopes, get Intel. :)

Toss3
06-21-05, 06:30 PM
Dude, it you are looking for a gaming machine AMD is the way to go. If you want to waste your hard earned cash and have false hopes, get Intel. :)
That's what I've always thought! But the pentium M series ( overclocked ) even beats the FX-55 in some game benchmarks! But I'm still not convinced so I hope someone with more experience could enlighten me?

EDIT: :( the asus adapter is only for old asus motherboards! What a pity... might sell my old mobo! :p

skypx
06-21-05, 06:48 PM
That's what I've always thought! But the pentium M series ( overclocked ) even beats the FX-55 in some game benchmarks! But I'm still not convinced so I hope someone with more experience could enlighten me?

I have absolutely no experience with the Pentium M, so in that regard I should have kept my opinions to myself. I recently built a gaming system based on the FX-55. I have been tweaking it for a week now and I am still amazed by the performance improvements. (Old system P4 3.4 Northwood) I have used Pentium based systems all my computing life and it was somewhat hard for me to switch to AMD, but now that I have my experience with Windows XP Pro is totally different. The OS is WAY more responsive, applications launch so much quicker. The performance in games is unrivalled; Intel’s best is struggling to keep up with non AMD FX processors. I would recommend you build a system based on the new dual core AMD processors. I haven't used one, but if it's anything like the FX series I can almost guarantee your satisfaction. :)

Toss3
06-21-05, 06:53 PM
I have absolutely no experience with the Pentium M, so in that regard I should have kept my opinions to myself. I recently built a gaming system based on the FX-55. I have been tweaking it for a week now and I am still amazed by the performance improvements. (Old system P4 3.4 Northwood) I have used Pentium based systems all my computing life and it was somewhat hard for me to switch to AMD, but now that I have my experience with Windows XP Pro is totally different. The OS is WAY more responsive, applications launch so much quicker. The performance in games is unrivalled; Intel’s best is struggling to keep up with non AMD FX processors. I would recommend you build a system based on the new dual core AMD processors. I haven't used one, but if it's anything like the FX series I can almost guarantee your satisfaction. :)
This I would do if I had the money :/ upgrading to a Pentium M wouldn't cost me much, about 350€... While those dual core amd's cost alot above 500€ here in Finland :(
So I could choose either 3,2Ghz P4(800mhz fsb) + 480w PSU(~330€) or 1.866Ghz Pentium M(533Mhz fsb) + asus adapter + sell my current mobo and buy an Asus one(that supports the adapter) (~350-400€)

So which would you choose?

skypx
06-21-05, 07:18 PM
This I would do if I had the money :/ upgrading to a Pentium M wouldn't cost me much, about 350€... While those dual core amd's cost alot above 500€ here in Finland :(
So I could choose either 3,2Ghz P4(800mhz fsb) + 480w PSU(~330€) or 1.866Ghz Pentium M(533Mhz fsb) + asus adapter + sell my current mobo and by an Asus one(that supports the adapter) (~350-400€)

So which would you choose?

What would I do? If I had gone to a computer store and experienced the awesome power of the new AMD processors, and I did not have the money to get one right away, I (this is my opinion) would save up until I could get one. Until Intel changes the way their processor access memory, (I think this is one of the reasons why AMD performs so much better, but I'm not 100% sure) they will not see anymore of my money. This is probably not what you wanted to hear, but I can not honestly recommend Intel processors to anyone with a heart beat. :) Good luck.