PDA

View Full Version : HL2 starts, then black screen...

Clay
06-21-05, 07:01 PM
This might be a common issue. I've searched the threads though with no results. I rarely play HL2 so that might be part of it too. Anyway, HL2 will start to load for me but will then just go to a black screen shortly after the initial splash screen. My machine is locked at that point, I have to reboot...cannot ALT+TAB to Windows, etc.

Any ideas? I'm running an SLI setup (see sig below).

Clay
06-21-05, 08:12 PM
It works fine with SLI disabled...when I enable SLI it just goes to a black screen and locks up.

killahsin
06-21-05, 10:43 PM
I'll do some searches on that for yah and see what i can find

Clay
06-21-05, 10:47 PM
Thanks killahsin but don't bother. I bugged ChrisRay about it and he suggested that I pull of the bridge chip just to troubleshoot. That did the trick. HL2 loaded just fine. Of course you can still run in SLI mode but much slower. Anyway, it worked. So, then I inspected the bridge chip closely and it looks physically in tact. I reversed the orientation so that contacts 1~6 were on the other card. HL2 then loaded just fine again...so, I switched the direction back to the way I had it before and HL2 loaded just fine again. So, I can only guess that there may have been some dust or something on the contacts because HL2 is humming along just fine now no matter what I do. :)

killahsin
06-21-05, 10:47 PM
ok i know this sounds stupid lol but did u try pushing esc?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=177273&highlight=black+screen+freeze+nvidia

if so sorry for the suggestion just doing my searches

ahh ok. Well i know somtimes i get that blackscreen when its recompiling crap and it makes my system 'hang' for a bit then loads up fine

Clay
06-21-05, 10:51 PM
ok i know this sounds stupid lol but did u try pushing esc?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=177273&highlight=black+screen+freeze+nvidia

if so sorry for the suggestion just doing my searches

ahh ok. Well i know somtimes i get that blackscreen when its recompiling crap and it makes my system 'hang' for a bit then loads up fine
No problem. Yeah I tired ESC, CTRL+ESC, etc...it was locked hard. All is well now though. Thanks. :cool:

killahsin
06-21-05, 11:24 PM
yw now go beat a strider to death with a crowbar