PDA

View Full Version : BF2-high end system- graphics lag help?

AstroCat
06-21-05, 08:14 PM
Ok here's my system:

Case: Antec SLK3700-BQE with 1 120mm stock fan outake and 1 AcoustiFan 120mm intake
PS: ENERMAX Noisetaker 470W "EG475AX-VE-SFMA"
CPU: AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 FX-53
HS: Thermalright Copper Heatsink "SLK948U" (with Artic Silver 5 compound)
w/FAN: AcoustiFan™ AF92CT always running at around 2200 rpm (shorted sensor)
Mem: CORSAIR 2GB(512MBx4) DDR PC-3200 TWINX1024-3200XL
MB: ASUS "A8V Deluxe Wi-Fi" K8T800 Pro
GC: BFG 6800 ultra OC
SC: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2
1 WD EIDE 200
1 Samsung SATA 160
1 DVD-ROM (Lite-On)
1 DVD+/- R (Plextor 8x)

Swap file set at: 3070-3070MB (set)

I'm using the 77.30 Nvidia drivers. I have my driver setting to High Quality, no optimization, 4x Aniso and 4x AA (in-game), Vsync is app controlled.

In game everything is on HIGH

Most of the time I get frame rates up in the 50-60 area, but sometimes when I turn around it dips down in to the 20's and below, which totally lags the game out.

What is going on? I have only tried online games, if this could be an issue.

I figured with my system you wouldn't have these issues?

Thanks for the help!

einstein_314
06-21-05, 08:19 PM
Umm, you will have to lower some settings. I haven't played the game yet, but from what I have read about it (mostly here at nVnews in other threads) this game requires an amazing rig to run it smoothly at high settings. I see you have 2GB of RAM. That is good, people have said that made all the difference between jerky and not. I would start by reducing the AA to 2x. Again, I'm no expert as I don't have the game yet, but that is what I think. Maybe check out this thread for tips. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51823)

Roliath
06-21-05, 08:54 PM
I don't see what's wrong?
You won't get a constant get 60fps, I have an "okay" system (check sig)
and I recently did a benchmark test using fraps here is my result
Frames - 11256
Times(ms) - 246286
Min - 20
Max - 84
Average - 45.703

AstroCat
06-21-05, 09:34 PM
Ok, I did some work on this and I wanted to report back in case I can help anyone out.

Things I have done:

1. Update BIOS to latest version, I was 1 back.
2. Make sure AGP is set to 256, had it at 128 before
3. I recently got 2gig, used to have 1, I had to "relax" my memory timings a bit. Checked the Corsair web forums for some more information for my specific memory.

Doing the above 3 things have fixed my problem dramatically!

I tried 4x Aniso and no Aniso and it does make a difference for sure, but now it dips in to the high 30's not the teens like before.
I tested in the same place every time to be consistent.

Thanks for the responses, I hope this helps as well. :)

avesta
06-21-05, 10:19 PM
Cool

Do you think the AGP size made a difference? im thinking about changing mine back to 256 but Im not sure i want to allocate an extra 128mb of memory for textures since my memory usage is almost at 100% when im playing....

einstein_314
06-21-05, 11:17 PM
Cool

Do you think the AGP size made a difference? im thinking about changing mine back to 256 but Im not sure i want to allocate an extra 128mb of memory for textures since my memory usage is almost at 100% when im playing....

Well, try it and see what happens. It will only use the extra memory if it needs it. I say just try it out and see how it performs.

shockwave203
06-22-05, 12:47 AM
I have never seen the AGP settings make a difference.

I have a fast computer, and I experience the slowdowns as well.

P4 3.2ghz
1.5GB ram
ATI X800 XL 256MB
Audigy II
200 GB Maxtor

I believe it is related to the number of people on a server. 32 player servers run good, but when I join a 64 player my FPS drops. It does not matter if I play at 1600 X 1200 6XAA or at 800 X 600 with everything disabled, my FPS still drops on 64 player servers, down into the 20's occasionally. It's definitely not the video card.

UDawg
06-22-05, 03:16 AM
Ok here's my system:

Case: Antec SLK3700-BQE with 1 120mm stock fan outake and 1 AcoustiFan 120mm intake
1 WD EIDE 200
1 Samsung SATA 160
1 DVD-ROM (Lite-On)
1 DVD+/- R (Plextor 8x)

I'm using the 77.30 Nvidia drivers. I have my driver setting to High Quality, no optimization, 4x Aniso and 4x AA (in-game), Vsync is app controlled.

Most of the time I get frame rates up in the 50-60 area, but sometimes when I turn around it dips down in to the 20's and below, which totally lags the game out.

Thanks for the help!

OK, I see a few problems here.

First off the biggest contribution to your poor FPS performance is your case. Any self respecting geek with a 8 on the geek scale knows that the
"Antec SLK3700-BQE with 1 120mm stock fan outake and 1 AcoustiFan 120mm intake " will drop your FPS by at least 16 right there. I suggest you get a vanilla Enlight case with the nice machined burrs that will rip right through your knuckles with even the slightest touch.

Secondly your AcoustiFan™ AF92CT always running at around 2200 rpm (shorted sensor) is another resource killer. Repeatable lab studies have shown that 2200 rpm constantly running will signifacantly drop performance by at least 4%. I suggest you just turn them off all together. After 15 years of of computer and computer related industries (pr0n) I have come to the conclusion that cooling electrical components is a scam perpetrated by a kabal that consists of the ball bearing corporations and 3M.

BFG 6800 ultra OC.... Need I say more? LOSER! Boot that POS and get a respectable card in your rig...such as it is.

1 DVD-ROM (Lite-On), 1 DVD+/- R (Plextor 8x). I think all the regulars here at nVnews can spot this as the nail in the coffin to your FPS woes. Take out the optical drives and you will never have to worry about lag while running through a smoke nade again.

Seriously, did you need to tell us what kind of case, fans and optical drives you have? LOL!!!!1

ralinn
06-22-05, 05:12 AM
Ok, I did some work on this and I wanted to report back in case I can help anyone out.

Things I have done:

1. Update BIOS to latest version, I was 1 back.
2. Make sure AGP is set to 256, had it at 128 before
3. I recently got 2gig, used to have 1, I had to "relax" my memory timings a bit. Checked the Corsair web forums for some more information for my specific memory.

Doing the above 3 things have fixed my problem dramatically!

I tried 4x Aniso and no Aniso and it does make a difference for sure, but now it dips in to the high 30's not the teens like before.
I tested in the same place every time to be consistent.

Thanks for the responses, I hope this helps as well. :)

I played BF2 last night with 2GB for the first time. It made a HUGE difference to my experience. It didn't chug, lag or stutter at ALL :)

AstroCat
06-22-05, 08:21 AM
hahaha! :) Yeah, I know it's overkill. I had it all saved from when I was working on quieting my PC box down. I was getting help and got tired of retyping what I had over and over so I did it once and for all.
So, yeah I know those fans can be a real FPS killer! ;)

OK, I see a few problems here.

First off the biggest contribution to your poor FPS performance is your case. Any self respecting geek with a 8 on the geek scale knows that the
"Antec SLK3700-BQE with 1 120mm stock fan outake and 1 AcoustiFan 120mm intake " will drop your FPS by at least 16 right there. I suggest you get a vanilla Enlight case with the nice machined burrs that will rip right through your knuckles with even the slightest touch.

Secondly your AcoustiFan™ AF92CT always running at around 2200 rpm (shorted sensor) is another resource killer. Repeatable lab studies have shown that 2200 rpm constantly running will signifacantly drop performance by at least 4%. I suggest you just turn them off all together. After 15 years of of computer and computer related industries (pr0n) I have come to the conclusion that cooling electrical components is a scam perpetrated by a kabal that consists of the ball bearing corporations and 3M.

BFG 6800 ultra OC.... Need I say more? LOSER! Boot that POS and get a respectable card in your rig...such as it is.

1 DVD-ROM (Lite-On), 1 DVD+/- R (Plextor 8x). I think all the regulars here at nVnews can spot this as the nail in the coffin to your FPS woes. Take out the optical drives and you will never have to worry about lag while running through a smoke nade again.

Seriously, did you need to tell us what kind of case, fans and optical drives you have? LOL!!!!1

AstroCat
06-22-05, 08:24 AM
It seems that the 256 AGP setting actually makes a difference in this game. I've checked over at the Planet Battlefiled forums and it seems others have had a simliar improvement when they upped it to 256.
Now it really does run great. Played last night 32v32 and it only dipped in to the mid 30's a couple times.

I played BF2 last night with 2GB for the first time. It made a HUGE difference to my experience. It didn't chug, lag or stutter at ALL :)

Zelda_fan
06-22-05, 08:25 AM
BF2 is a beast from what I head. Even jackup could only get 56fps avg from his 7800 GTX SLi setup.

FluxCap
06-22-05, 08:31 AM
I have the EXACT same problem except at my settings I am getting around 65 to 85fps before it drops with the stutter. It is really unacceptable and I think the game needs a few patches to fix a bit of poor/weaker coding. Besdies that, everything else is pretty great. Don't go crazy tweaking your system or buying more ram until we get some patches, that is just my opinion.

|JuiceZ|
06-22-05, 10:11 AM
IMO its gotta be the game guys. I've seen too many gamers with high end rigs report stuttering probs to think its something system specific. Be honest, BF2 graphics while nice are not on par with some other titles we've seen released over the past few months. The main things that need patching are the shader optimizations & shadow/lighting systems.

FluxCap
06-22-05, 10:37 AM
IMO its gotta be the game guys. I've seen too many gamers with high end rigs report stuttering probs to think its something system specific. Be honest, BF2 graphics while nice are not on par with some other titles we've seen released over the past few months. The main things that need patching are the shader optimizations & shadow/lighting systems.
You hit the nail on the head, especially your last line.

I just hope to find a happy medium of quality performance and quality detail when I start playing the retail tonight.

raysusan
06-22-05, 11:11 PM
i have the same though as u too:)

fugu_fish
06-23-05, 02:52 PM
Ok here's my system:

1 WD EIDE 200
1 Samsung SATA 160
1 DVD-ROM (Lite-On)
1 DVD+/- R (Plextor 8x)

Thanks for the help!

Lower lighting to medium. Should solve that problem.....It did for me.

einstein_314
06-23-05, 04:20 PM
Lower lighting to medium. Should solve that problem.....It did for me.

Same here. I'm running it at 1280x1024 4xAA and 8x AF everything at high (except lighting it's at medium). With lighting at high it was stuttering like crazy. Turned it down, and voila, it was gone. I tried turning down textures as well, but I couldn't stand the low res textures. I don't really notice the difference in lighting so I went with that.

raysusan
06-23-05, 10:50 PM
i dont see any diff in high and medium on lighting
anyone here can notice?