PDA

View Full Version : Sound settings for bf2

avesta
06-21-05, 07:32 PM
I have an onboard AC97 (I think) sound for MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum. Im using a 4 point surround system with subwoofer, its a decent system kind of old though.

My question is what should I use for my sound settings? Software or Hardware? Low Medium or High?

Mudcrutch
06-21-05, 09:19 PM
i would run software, medium settings.

|JuiceZ|
06-21-05, 09:23 PM
I'm using hardware/high w/ ALC850 codec while waiting for the Creative X-FI.

CaptNKILL
06-21-05, 10:54 PM
I'm using hardware/high w/ ALC850 codec while waiting for the Creative X-FI.
Hardware works for you? I used Hardware on mine (same sound chip) and it made the vehicle engine sounds insanely loud... like a tank driving at the other end of the map was as loud as my gun. I run in software mode with high quality sound and EAX off. This game sounds fantastic :)

What drivers are you using for sound?

muaddib
06-22-05, 03:43 AM
I don't use Hardware, it f*cks up my sound.

jolle
06-22-05, 04:20 AM
Hardware works for you? I used Hardware on mine (same sound chip) and it made the vehicle engine sounds insanely loud... like a tank driving at the other end of the map was as loud as my gun. I run in software mode with high quality sound and EAX off. This game sounds fantastic :)

What drivers are you using for sound?

I get that too when I try Hardware on same codec.. funky stuff that..
using 4.62 Nv drivers.
Also my Front Right out died the other day.. Front left works tho..
Ill prolly wait out that X-Fi chip (http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1813719,00.asp) and se how it turns out..

FluxCap
06-22-05, 07:33 AM
Since I will be playing with headphones, I will always use software and medium/low. Maybe I will use speakers with singleplayer but not sure.

Higher sound settings can cause major performance issues with this game until they fix a few bugs.

$n][pErMan
06-22-05, 07:44 PM
Im using High/Hardware on my Audigy 2 .... EAX seems to lag things to bits when something explodes over my head so I turned it off .. lol.

einstein_314
06-22-05, 09:36 PM
I'm also using High/Hardware with my Audigy 2 ZS with EAX enabled. I havn't noticed any lagging at all. Seems to work fine for me.

jAkUp
06-22-05, 09:38 PM
High/Hardware/EAX

I noticed running in software sounds noticably worse, so I switched it to hardware, and its amazing... I really wanna see what those X-FI chips can do :D

Nutty
06-23-05, 07:13 AM
Hardware/high works perfect on my SoundStorm.

DarthBinky
06-23-05, 01:48 PM
What do you need to enable the ultra-high audio settings (it's listed, but non-selectable)? Is that X-Fi only?

c_chekay
08-15-05, 05:04 PM
I don't use Hardware, it f*cks up my sound.

Hate to tell you all but hardware and EAX are only supported by a monolopy by creative. check out the install readme...bla bla bla it specifically states that nv chipsets and ac97 and alot of MAJOR sound cards that are normally used arent even supported which really has me :mad: EAX isnt even possible its a creative thing exclusively, now there is a similiar thing that NvMixer has that does the sound environments but I dont thing its EAX compatible blame creative.

myshkinbob
08-15-05, 07:44 PM
when i first got this game i did what i usually do in games, enabled hw sound and eax support, and got the insanely loud engine noises, so promptly switched back to software. I have an ac97 codec alc850 onboard sound jobby btw.

Reading this thread, i did a little testing, and found enabling hw sound at medium works fine, it's the eax option that causes the excrutiatingly fscked up sound effects. So there you go, hw sound works fine on non-creative cards, it's the eax that is extremely borked. Kind of weird, because i can use eax 2.0 in every other game, oh well. :)

c_chekay
08-16-05, 04:03 PM
when i first got this game i did what i usually do in games, enabled hw sound and eax support, and got the insanely loud engine noises, so promptly switched back to software. I have an ac97 codec alc850 onboard sound jobby btw.

Reading this thread, i did a little testing, and found enabling hw sound at medium works fine, it's the eax option that causes the excrutiatingly fscked up sound effects. So there you go, hw sound works fine on non-creative cards, it's the eax that is extremely borked. Kind of weird, because i can use eax 2.0 in every other game, oh well. :)

Yeah they are using Creative's exclusive TURBO'd code for EAX thus the reason us 'normal' and 'stable' EAX sound chipsets cant use it right. also btw someone refer me to a nice 'I HATE EA AND THEIR SUPPORT' site I got the best email in the world just to prove how 1) ignorant 2) stupid 3) unwilling to help or 4) all of the above. <insert sigh here> Oh I got a ALC650 and my hardware works fine, surround no. (double check my setup) but anyway I just relized with atleast onboard sound surround decoders and your 3 outputs. you normally cant use a microphone cuz 2 of the channels are outputs on the mic input. Unless you have an external decoder. but... I after playing 2 weeks finally heard someone actually talking in a squad which was bad ass cuz me and that dude kicked butt. So Im not worried about it BUT my game does run alot better with hardware encoding (of course but just still stating it) and I have my sounds on Ultra High actually but EAX is defenitly OFF.