PDA

View Full Version : PSP is starting to die already

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Zelda_fan
06-22-05, 07:07 AM
Sony cuts PSP production by 1/3. To all you people saiying that the PSP would own, I told ya so. Nintendo is a handheld beast and the PSP didn't come close to takeing it down. I'll admit this happened a bit sooner than I expected. I thought that sony was going to stay in the game for at least 6-12 months. gg sony.

http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=8263

The successful launches of PSP in Japan and the United States would indicate the launches have gone according to plan, but that's not necessarily the case. While meeting with suppliers, Sony reportedly plans to manufacture only 12 million units, reports Next Generation from Japan's Nikkei BP.

Previously, suppliers had expected orders in excess of 18 million units for the portable hardware. No reasons were cited in the original article, and representatives for Sony Computer Entertainment America were not available for comment.

|MaguS|
06-22-05, 07:37 AM
From 18 million to 12 million is not 1/3 so the original article is just wrong. As for the PSP dying, making fewer units doesn't mean its dying, it just means they don't need so many.

Considering there is no real source or comment from Sony this should really be taken lightly.

The PSP had a poor summer due to many of its titles being delayed but it still has more software and support then the Nintendo DS.

EDIT: With over 100k UMD Movies sold alone shows that sales are really well considering that many thought that UMD movies would be low sales due to being many rereleases.

six_storm
06-22-05, 09:24 AM
I think that the PSP is a great handheld device but it lacks games!!! That's why I didn't buy something like that in the first place. Nintendo can put up some pretty stiff competition though with all the kiddies running around with their GBAs and DSs.

Zelda_fan
06-22-05, 01:08 PM
From 18 million to 12 million is not 1/3 so the original article is just wrong. As for the PSP dying, making fewer units doesn't mean its dying, it just means they don't need so many.

Considering there is no real source or comment from Sony this should really be taken lightly.

The PSP had a poor summer due to many of its titles being delayed but it still has more software and support then the Nintendo DS.

EDIT: With over 100k UMD Movies sold alone shows that sales are really well considering that many thought that UMD movies would be low sales due to being many rereleases.

18-12 = 6 6/18 = 1/3.

seems like a 1/3 decrease to me.

Ghosthunter
06-23-05, 12:45 PM
Here is another article:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/23/news_6128046.html

Sony is denying they are cutting back production who knows.

I would not say it is over yet for Sony far from it.

To be honest I plan on picking up a PSP when the price drops by end of year, only reason I have not picked one up yet no games interest me really yet so why spend so much just waiting for games to come out.

I did same thing with DS, I bought it right away but took a while to see anything even decent.

I still think sony psp biggest mistake is marketing it as an entertainment device..if it was a pure gaming device, price could have been lowered in the market, UMD is doing way better then I expected but then again I dont care about UMD or plan on getting PSP for movies.

Am_I_Evil
06-23-05, 09:16 PM
From 18 million to 12 million is not 1/3 so the original article is just wrong.

:lol2:

someone needs to look back into basic math....

XP_GUN
06-24-05, 02:04 AM
Now if sony was smart they would once more games are released bring down the price to $200 and if they could $150, that way since the DS is what $100 they can start taking the lower buget area.

oldsk00l
06-24-05, 04:39 PM
I just want a web browser for this damn thing.

Considering that they already have one done in-house by Sony they are just sitting on it....because????

Slyder
06-25-05, 03:41 AM
Oh great... make fewer units before it even reaches our shores. :mad:

Yeah gfg Sony... a silly decision imho... schoolboy stuff..

SigmaOrionis
06-25-05, 05:50 AM
Doesnt suprise me. I mean that is one expensive toy. By the time you buy the PSP, case, couple of games, and a memory card your looking at around $400.00 dollars. No thanks. When the price comes down to a more reasonable $150.00 for the PSP value kit I'll buy one.

I'm also hoping they improve battery life in a later revision. I mean 3 hours is cutting it kinda close. My GBA SP gets a good 10 hours of battery life.

oldsk00l
06-26-05, 08:27 AM
Well there goes that notion.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/news.php?aid=9730

Speaking to GI.biz this morning, however, a representative told us there "never was" a figure higher than 12 million mentioned, dismissing the Nikkei BP report all together.

Sony Computer Entertainment America has also denied the rumour, with a representative telling US website GameSpot: "We announced in the Sony earnings call that the fiscal year 2005 PSP shipment targets were 12 million units worldwide. We are still on target and there has been no reduction in forecast."

Bad_Boy
06-26-05, 04:33 PM
It was actually 200,000 umd video's sold, and 100,000 alone by resident evil 2 and house of flying daggers. I have a story about the miscommunication in my next magazine.

/end shameless plug ;P
but yeah, psp is far from dead. hasnt even hit european market yet.

Zelda_fan
06-27-05, 08:42 AM
It was actually 200,000 umd video's sold, and 100,000 alone by resident evil 2 and house of flying daggers. I have a story about the miscommunication in my next magazine.

/end shameless plug ;P
but yeah, psp is far from dead. hasnt even hit european market yet.

200,000 total is actually a pretty poor number considering how well DVD's sell.

Mr. Hunt
06-27-05, 09:35 AM
200,000 total is actually a pretty poor number considering how well DVD's sell.

Yes... but the DVD market is much larger than the UMD market... and MANY people thought UMDs wouldn't sell well (not even 100,000).

Bad_Boy
06-27-05, 01:24 PM
Yes... but the DVD market is much larger than the UMD market... and MANY people thought UMDs wouldn't sell well (not even 100,000).eactly, dvd's have been the new vhs for a long time and have no problem for them to hit that number considering that everybody and their mother has a dvd player. there was probably a time when dvd was JUST coming out and sold more than people thought it would. ;) umd video's have only been out for like 2 months, and the psp only been out for like 3.

im not saying the umd will be the next dvd, but im sure it's a nice feature that will help sell more psp's. and like i said, the psp hasnt even hit the euro market yet.

now that we know the true story to the first post http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/22/news_6128025.html
"We announced in the Sony earnings call that the fiscal year 2005 PSP shipment targets were 12 million units worldwide. We are still on target and there has been no reduction in forecast."
i dont think your claim matters much anymore. and frankly, your first post in the thread sounded like a angry nintendo fan. :confused:

Bad_Boy
07-06-05, 03:43 AM
japanese sales are nice, but how about U.S.?
http://psp.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=1588
For the month of May, Sony is the clear winner of the DS vs. PSP battle in the United States, with 250,000 units in PSP sales, compared to 57,000 units in Nintendo DS sales. That means that Sony sold four times as many PSP units as Nintendo sold DS units.

Zelda_fan
07-06-05, 08:57 AM
uh yeah like 1 month after the PSP is released. Look at the total sales, and the DS has PWND the PSP.

ENU291
07-06-05, 09:02 AM
now that we know the true story to the first post http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/22/news_6128025.html

i dont think your claim matters much anymore. and frankly, your first post in the thread sounded like a angry nintendo fan. :confused:

Definitely a Nintendo fanboy.. It clearly sez "I Like Zelda" under Jonk's name. To each his own I guess... :bleh:

Bad_Boy
07-06-05, 09:06 AM
Definitely a Nintendo fanboy
:angel:

edit: to be truthful. most people who own psp's already could care less about sales, the fact that they have one makes them happy enough. (same could be said for DS owners)

so just wondering jonk, when it comes down to it. handheld to handheld, what in your eyes, makes the DS so much better?

Ninjaman09
07-06-05, 09:17 AM
Definitely a Nintendo fanboy.. It clearly sez "I Like Zelda" under Jonk's name. To each his own I guess... :bleh:
How is he a fanboy for liking Zelda? Lots of people like it. It's one of the most popular game franchises ever.

I guess he's kind of asking for it though, posting a thread like this. :p

Even though I enjoy Nintendo's systems I will not get a DS again (unless some awesome games come out for it). It controls horribly (really, I had cramps after like 5 minutes) and all the games are gimmicky. I'll stick with my GBA SP.

oldsk00l
07-06-05, 09:32 AM
Well one thing is for damn sure, I'm not thrilled with my PSP, and I'm getting rid of it thanks to my new ipod.

No web browser, only 3 good games. It doesn't make it suck, but I really wonder why Sony is sitting on their ass about the web browser.

nVidi0t
07-06-05, 09:36 AM
I'll get a PSP when GTA is available. Otherwise there just isn't enough there.

Ninjaman09
07-06-05, 09:44 AM
I sold my PSP due to lack of games a while ago. The games that were on it just weren't all that great. Wipeout was fun, Lumines was awesome, but the rest were lacking severely.

Bad_Boy
07-06-05, 09:58 AM
No web browser, only 3 good games. It doesn't make it suck, but I really wonder why Sony is sitting on their ass about the web browser.

grrr..
theres two unofficial web browsers if you like. (one using wipeout, one using vnc) i was trying out the vnc stuff earlier, its beta but works well for the first release. you can use your computer from your psp (works on linux, windows, mac-- basically turns your psp into a cheap ass laptop)

heres 2 shots:
http://www.pspupdates.com/pvnc_3.jpg
http://www.pspupdates.com/pvnc_1.jpg

edit: heres some shots i took a while back on the wipeout web browser...
http://www.pspcomplete.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20 /end shameless plug :P

id love for sony to make a browser for the psp but i doubt it, they said the same thing for the ps2. maybe when the ps3 comes they will have a nice browser for it.

with homebrew you could be playing thousands of titles ranging from GBA, SNES, NES, GENESIS, Game-Boy, etc. and august/september/fall will be the months of great games.

i agree, psp had a slow start on titles. but i cant wait to play burnout ledgends, gta:LCS, godfather, Y's rpg, persuit force, and 50 cent bullet proof. (joking on that last one lol) i dunno when gt4:mobile is coming, but i definately cant wait for that either

:D

Ghosthunter
07-06-05, 09:58 AM
you know it pretty interesting, both ds and PSP had a lackluster list of good games at launch. I dont get why that is?

IMO it always been the games not the system that matters. Why nintendo and sony both do the same thing I dont know.