PDA

View Full Version : graphics card crashes

arutten
12-16-02, 01:38 PM
I'm having some strange problems with the nvidia 41.09 drivers: with some games (Mohaa:Spearhead, NFS:HP2, James Bond Nightfire and Rallisport Challenge) my Gainward TI4200 crashes (my screen is scrambled and the computer freezes). When I reset my computer with the reset button, my BIOS-screen is still scrambled. I have to power off and power on the computer to get a normal screen again. Does it have someting to do with the new 4x.xx drivers altough I had that problem also with a old driver ! Or is my graphics card going to die ?? I reinstalled Windows XP SP1 and had the same problem. Please help me !!!
I'm sorry if I have put this post in the wrong place, but I'm desperate !!

Asus P3V4X
512 MB RAM
Gainward TI4200 Ultra/650 TV with 3.5 Etrontech
IBM 120 GB HD
Windows XP SP1

saturnotaku
12-16-02, 01:45 PM
Pull out the card and reseat it in the AGP slot. While you're at it, you may as well check it for dust buildup. Many people have solved their freezing problems by simply making sure the fan is clear of dust. Try out the card in another PC, if you have the same problem odds are the video card is going to be toast. Since you have a Gainward, there are many of that brand floating around that were defective when shipped. If the card is the problem, contact your vendor about an RMA or exchange.

Other than that, have you tried any other video drivers? Do you have the latest AGP and motherboard chipset drivers?

arutten
12-16-02, 01:53 PM
Thanks for your reply. I reseated the card and I already cleaned the card. I installed the latest VIA-drivers (4.45 Hyperion) and it didn't fix my problems. The stupid thing is that some games work and other games don't. I'm going to try the old 30.82 drivers, and I will let you know if that worked for me !!

thcdru2k
12-16-02, 06:48 PM
sounds like your asus p3v4x is the culprit not your videocard..

440bx is pretty old, probably has some small incompatibilites with geforce4

saturnotaku
12-16-02, 09:36 PM
Did you try to install VIA drivers on a 440BX motherboard? :confused:

And if your board is a 440BX, it probably is the problem. But if you can test the card in another system, do it.

thcdru2k
12-16-02, 10:22 PM
oh stupid me what was i thinking, its not a 440bx, but its something old apollo pro 133a or something, for the original slot pentium 3. but, yeah ih have a p3v4x and i even have problems where the vc won't boot and i have to turn it off and on, and thats with a geforce2.