PDA

View Full Version : 7800 NON-SLI thread!

Ninjaman09
06-22-05, 11:45 AM
I don't know about everyone else, but I couldn't care less about SLI. I'm happy with 1280x1024 4xAA 8xAF, and with the new selective multisampling, I'm pretty excited about image quality in games with these settings! It seems to me that SLI really only proves its worth in 1600x1200 and since I can't run in that resolution (and I can't use a CRT monitor in my apartment), it doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. Thankfully, this means I get to buy cheaper motherboards and save a boatload of money by only needing one graphics card, yet I retain extremely good performance. Anyone agree with me or am I the only one who feels this way? I mean, don't get me wrong, if I won an SLI system in a raffle or something I wouldn't complain, but the cost is so incredibly high that I can't see any reason to justify it.

Anyway, the point of the thread is to post NON-SLI ONLY benchmarks for those of us who want to stick with just one card. My new parts will be arriving tomorrow and I probably won't get a chance to run the full suite of benchmarks until the weekend, but I'll be updating with my results then. If anyone else is taking the single-GPU route, post your benchmarks here too! It would serve as a great buyer's guide for people who are having trouble deciding if they want to spend that extra cash, and it'd be educational too. :D

MUYA
06-22-05, 11:47 AM
Can I direct you to here?

http://www.nvnews.net/previews/geforce_7800_gtx/index.shtml

Single GTX on par with GT SLI :)

MUYA
06-22-05, 11:50 AM
One thing you will also notice is that, in many cases, a single GeForce 7800 GTX is matching or beating the performance and image quality of two GeForce 6800 Ultras in SLI.

man i gotta save up even more.

gram_vaz
06-22-05, 11:53 AM
OUTRAGE! OUTRAGE! OUTRAGE!

so this is the geforce 7 forum now? i demand it become the geforce 6 & 7 forum. us geforce 6 series aren't so outdated yet!

:p

Ninjaman09
06-22-05, 11:53 AM

Yeah I was pretty excited when I saw that. I had read a lot AFTER I ordered my 7800GTX about how it wasn't faster than the 6 series in any appreciable way, then all the big sites released their benchmarks and I was suddenly very happy with my purchase. :D (and as it turned out it was mostly ATI fanboys spreading false information :rolleyes: )

Still, I think it'd be cool to keep a sort of collection of benches with different systems so people can get a clear idea of what to expect. Most other hardware sites focus on the SLI aspect which, let's face it, is only for the hardest of the hardcore (and the ones with the deepest pockets).

MUYA
06-22-05, 11:56 AM
True but I think you will find most sites do include single GTX scores.

Man I am impressed at what the GTX can do and my sources were right, it is a "monster"

Pandora's Box
06-22-05, 11:56 AM
OUTRAGE! OUTRAGE! OUTRAGE!

so this is the geforce 7 forum now? i demand it become the geforce 6 & 7 forum. us geforce 6 series aren't so outdated yet!

:p

Discuss NVIDIA's brand new GeForce 7 Series gpu, the 7800GTX, as well as the previous generation 6 series such as the 6800 Ultra, 6800 GT, and 6600 GT. Please post driver related topics in the Forceware Drivers forum below.

gram_vaz
06-22-05, 11:58 AM
yes, i know what it says in the description but us geforce 6 users are still excluded from the main topic! OUTRAGE!

Pandora's Box
06-22-05, 11:59 AM

look at that!! omfg 8xSSAA is now playable! *seriously debates getting a 7800GTX...*

MUYA
06-22-05, 12:06 PM
You know what it's going to be intersting when dual core CPUS are readily avaiable and adopted by users and also if NVIDIA releases the multi-threaded drivers.

Ninjaman09
06-22-05, 12:14 PM
Yeah I'm really interested to see how that pans out.

I really hope the Socket 939 platform sticks around for a while, I want to go dual-core, but there just isn't any reason to right now. Hopefully once the software is out there that takes advantage of it, I can just swap out CPUs and be done with it. Though I have to say, this San Diego core is gonna be pretty damn sweet. I can O/C it to 2.6 with no problems at all and plan to do so immediately after I get Windows set up. :D

MUYA
06-22-05, 12:21 PM
De Waal cited several opportunities for driver performance gains with multithreading. Among them: vertex processing. He noted that NVIDIA's drivers currently do load balancing for vertex processing, offloading some work to the CPU when the GPU is busy. This sort of vertex processing load could be spun off into a separate thread and processed in parallel.

just there...thats the tip of the iceberg? :)

Ninjaman09
06-23-05, 07:32 PM
OK this thing is ****ing fast. Like sickeningly fast. I'm seeing 60-70% increases in EVERYTHING. This is awesome. The SS-transparency AA is ORGASMIC.

ChrisRay
06-23-05, 07:34 PM
You went froma 6800GT right? I know going from a 6800GT SLI to a 7800GTX SLI setup has been very nice and encouraging. I love the new transparency Anti Aliasing too.

Ninjaman09
06-23-05, 07:39 PM
Yeah, from a 6800GT. Admittedly I upgraded to nForce 4 and an Athlon 64 4000+ as well, and I'm sure that helps, but even with SS transparency it doesn't even skip a beat in anything. Half-Life 2 runs like a dream. I really wish the transparency AA bug wasn't there though, that really kind of ruins it for me. But it works great in all the other games! Hopefully the next driver will fix it. :)