PDA

View Full Version : Too bad no agp for 7800 yet.

Pages : [1] 2

odin20
06-22-05, 01:50 PM
Nvidia coulda made a sale today if they would have had agp cards, seems they wont be around.
I must not be the only one still looking for a agp card?

Lfctony
06-22-05, 01:58 PM
Same here.

odin20
06-22-05, 01:59 PM
i think its crazy if they dont offer a agp version they must be missing alot of the market, well maybe r520 will have agp...doubt it though.

superklye
06-22-05, 02:02 PM
I thought ATi said there WOULD be an AGP r520?

mario64
06-22-05, 02:02 PM
Nvidia coulda made a sale today if they would have had agp cards, seems they wont be around.
I must not be the only one still looking for a agp card?
Nope, you're not alone. I have a high-end AGP system and won't be giving my money to either vendor this round unless and until they provide an AGP version. I for one am not spending an additional $800 to replace my mobo, cpu and ram just to get a new video card.

Mario64

Gator
06-22-05, 02:16 PM
I have to wonder if Nvidia will bother with an AGP version, it seems like more work for them now, and it would need 2 molex connectors probably.

Alas poor AGP, I knew him Heratio :(

Ruined
06-22-05, 02:28 PM
I don't know I think it would be kind of foolish to invest $600 into AGP technology at this point. Going with a $299 6800GT would be a smarter move since all of the new, faster CPUs are made for PCI-Express boards.

subbo
06-22-05, 02:32 PM
The secret to their *amazing* non-paper launch might be the simple fact that there are so few PCI-e users out there the demand is nowhere near what it would be for the AGP parts, thus they can proclaim to have overcome their past troubles. I think not.

GlowStick
06-22-05, 02:36 PM
I have to wonder if Nvidia will bother with an AGP version, it seems like more work for them now, and it would need 2 molex connectors probably.

Alas poor AGP, I knew him Heratio :(
I have a gut feeling that for a board mfg to just add the bridge chip in, could be done, however it would make the card be like a bigger 6600GT (agp) how the gpu is 'tilted etc. However, maybe nvidia will pump out a more elegant solution ala NV45 so the boards dont have to be redesigned as much.

Tantawi
06-22-05, 02:37 PM
I don't know I think it would be kind of foolish to invest $600 into AGP technology at this point. Going with a $299 6800GT would be a smarter move since all of the new, faster CPUs are made for PCI-Express boards.

I totally agree, I can't imagine why anybody will need such powerfull GPU on a soon-to-be-outdated hardware.

OWA
06-22-05, 02:39 PM
The secret to their *amazing* non-paper launch might be the simple fact that there are so few PCI-e users out there the demand is nowhere near what it would be for the AGP parts, thus they can proclaim to have overcome their past troubles. I think not.

I kind of doubt it matters all that much to the people they're marketing the higher-end video cards to. Someone willing to spend $599 or more for a video won't have that much heartburn over spending another $100 for a motherboard (or in my case closer to $200 b/c of the particular board I went with).

Edit: Although, on 2nd thought, if ATI does release an AGP version, I think nvidia should match it otherwise they're giving up that market by not having anything to compete with ATI with.

Gator
06-22-05, 02:41 PM

Ya that's true, considering PCIE boards are cheap enough now, if you're gonna get a super deluxe video card you might as well go PCIE. Anymore than 200 to 300 bucks and AGP seems kinda silly.

An excellent theory! You may very well be correct.

OWA
06-22-05, 02:46 PM
I don't know, IMO, it has more to do about the last 6-month refresh cycle being skipped so they've had plenty of time to get them ready for the launch.

subbo
06-22-05, 02:47 PM
Well I'm just a tad bitter that I cant get an AGP version of it, but IRL I know three people plus myself who would want to pick up an AGP version tomorrow if they could, but are not willing to gut their PC AGAIN just to change the motherboard. Two of them have a 6800GT and one Ultra.

OWA
06-22-05, 02:52 PM
Yeah, I can understand that. I was kind of feeling the same way until the excitement of the new cards took hold.

Lfctony
06-22-05, 02:59 PM
Well, I can spend $600 (US MSRP, actual costs in a while), but that doesn't mean I should spend $300(US prices again) more to replace my motherboard and CPU as well. And many people have AGP boards with 939 sockets that can take all the newest AMD cpus and everything AMD has to offer. It's a bit different for Intel, but the top 3.4Ghz available for 865-875 users with AGP boards is still fast for games. Also, since you are buying a card to game with high AA/AF, CPUs are hardly the limitation at 1600x1200 w/4xAA/16xAF at this moment. If you're going SLI, that's another story.

Regarding the prices, it may be cheap for US residents to buy parts but get a load of this. In order for me to get a 7800GTX, I need to replace 2 parts. M/B and CPU. Here are the costs in Cyprus.

AMD Athlon64 3500+ Winchester Core - 190 CYP or $402 USD
MSI K8N - 100 CYP or $211 USD
or
MSI K8N SLi Platinum - 147 CYP or $311 USD
And of course a simple 7800GTX - 355 CYP or $751 USD

So, I should throw away stuff I paid more than $1000 for, and pay another $1364 to get a "new" system altogether? Money does not grow on trees you know.

dogbait
06-22-05, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I'd agree with the huge cost of new motherboard and the necessary bits and pieces. I have a fast enough Dual CPU system, which to upgrade to PCIe would necessitate me purchasing a new motherboard (400), memory (300) and two new processors (500) plus the cost of a 7800 (420).

Totaling 1620 roughly $2900 or thereabouts. I am itching for a gfx upgrade and would have bought one today if I could. Nvidia said if there's sufficient demand they would release one, just add me to the list!

Maverickman
06-22-05, 04:25 PM
I definitely think we'll see an AGP version soon enough. Nvidia can't ignored the huge base of AGP users out there. They'll make a ton of money off the cards.

rohit
06-22-05, 04:42 PM
there will be an AGP version, for sure.. read the NV-->FAq. the HSI is currently being tested with the 7800gtx..
It will take a while.. just like the 6600pci-e to 6600agp was more than a month & half..

just wait..! rialto took more than months...(a year actually :p ).. expect the x900 agp not before aug end/ september!

BioHazZarD
06-22-05, 04:56 PM
AGP still is going to be strong for at least one more year so sure they are gonna loose on this in the end, i want to buy one too but i will not just upgrade my motherboard too because of it then ill just buy a 6800 ultra from a friend later on.

agent
06-22-05, 05:11 PM
Same here ;)

Dazz
06-22-05, 05:12 PM
Well i am leaving the video card for a while for the price to drop after all it is only day 1 lol. But i'll Have a ASUS A8N SLi Platnium and a Athlon 64 X2 4400+ should have them for friday :) Once it's up and running i am overclocking my 4400+ hoping to get 2.66GHz out of it on water cooling.

SquireSCA
06-22-05, 10:14 PM
I totally agree, I can't imagine why anybody will need such powerfull GPU on a soon-to-be-outdated hardware.

Because I have a Socket 478 rig with a P4 3.4e running at 3.8Ghz with a Gig of dual-channel PC4200 DDR and a 6800GT rig. I have a 20.1" LCD, so being able to crank out high frame rates at 1680x1050 with FSAA cranked up is what I want.

But I am not going to shell out for a new mobo and CPU, when there is really nothing on the market that would noticeably faster than what I have... I mean, an FX55 would be slightly faster in some apps, and slightly slower in others... Without a benchmark to tell me that there is a difference, I wouldn't be able to tell.

So the idea of shelling out $1000+ for a video card upgrade, is not a good purchase IMHO...

Mudcrutch
06-22-05, 10:44 PM

can anyone explain HOW agp is outdated? what games/progs use more bandwidth than agp can handle... ?

msxyz
06-23-05, 07:06 AM
AGP is not outdated per se. PCI-e is a useful technology for bi-directional cards which deal with a lot of data (Video capture, encoders and DSPs, disk controllers, etc...)

But for a videocard it's pretty useless. Not even the full AGP 8X bandwidth of 2GB/sec is fully used by today systems. While PCI-e may give some extra performance to shared memory architecture implementations (ie Turbocache), it has become a marketing gimmick to push a new standard and force an upgrade cycle.

Anyway, considering that AGP systems are still the majority, it would be foolish to ignore thisl market. Of course OEMs and system integrators have already buried AGP for dead, thus NVidia priority was to launch a new family of native PCI-e cards.

But, I'm sure we will see pretty soon the 7800 and even the future 7600 coming to AGP.