PDA

View Full Version : Nforce4 nforce4 ultra nforce sli

Demigod
06-22-05, 06:00 PM
What is the difference please? I can guess with sli but nforce and nforce ultra?

Thanks

superklye
06-22-05, 09:39 PM
I know with the DFI board, the Ultra could do SLi with a BIOS tweak or something like that...otherwise, I think it's just fewer SATA ports and no SLi (in theory).

Demigod
06-23-05, 04:52 AM
Thanks. I dont want sli, or sata so I think Ill just get a standard nforce4

Pandora's Box
06-23-05, 07:08 AM
are you absolutely sure you wont want SATA later on down the line? btw isnt there more firewire ports and usb ports on the nforce 4 ultra and sli over the standard nforce 4?

Pandora's Box
06-23-05, 07:09 AM
http://www.nvidia.com/page/nforce4_family.html

some information there.

Ninjaman09
06-23-05, 07:40 AM
I just bought a vanilla nForce 4. Can't see any reason to get the Ultra. There's 4 SATA ports and an ethernet port, that's all I need. :)

Dazz
06-23-05, 08:25 AM
SLi won't work with an nForce4 or nForce4 Ultra any more due to it being locked in NV's drivers. This is promote the nForce4 SLi chipsets. Besides the ASUS A8N SLi is only slightly more expensive then the A8N-E.

Ninjaman09
06-23-05, 08:39 AM
Also, none of the others have 2 PCI Express slots so they couldn't run SLi if you wanted to. :)

Dazz
06-23-05, 09:34 AM
Ah but they do you put it into the PCI-Ex 4x (2x real) slot and it can work in there but you will need a SLi connector and current price of them, you would be better off just getting the A8N SLi which i believe is one of the cheapest you can get for SLi. Technically SLi will work with ANY board that supports 2x decent sized PCI-Ex slots aka 4x and 16x peformance will be reduced due to the Slave card working with only 2x bandwith. But it does indeed work At the moment however the drivers will only work with nVidias boards as that what they are locked too but NV maybe making it open so who knows down the road. Same thing with ATi, cross fire will work with any board also even Intels X955. All the work is done on the cards and not the board. Ati uses and compose engine on the master card while NV have a simlar thing but needs the SLi connector to communicate with the cards.

Demigod
06-23-05, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the info. I may get the ultra for the sata, but to be honest I cant see my self getting an sli setup anytime soon.if I do go sli by the time the 7800's come down in price (I getting one at the end of the month) the sli boards will be cheeper too.

Demigod
06-24-05, 04:25 PM
Thanks everyone I went with the a8n sli, you never know I may win the lottery or somthing :) My 7800 and a8n should be here on tuesday or wednesday :)

Dazz
06-24-05, 04:29 PM
Good call hope you have many happy months with it, till you upgrade again ;)

ricercar
06-25-05, 05:09 AM
The DFI nForce4 Ultra and SLI boards (at least the early ones) have jumpers instead of SLI cards, and the jumpers have been hacked to do SLI.

The Ultra and SLI PCBs are identical. All you have to do is reroute 8 lanes of PCI Express to the second physical slot. I haven't tried this with recent drivers, but the proof of concept was working with at least one driver release on the DFI nForce4 Ultra board.

Hint: Google is your friend. I found it once; you can too.

Dazz
06-25-05, 12:35 PM
It doesn't work with recent drivers as at current it's locked for NF4 SLi boards only.