PDA

View Full Version : DFI nForce4 SLI-D & RAM Latency

SH64
06-24-05, 12:27 AM
Ok today i got dual 1GB DDR400 Corsair RAMs. they are rated as 2-3-3-6.
in the Corsair specs page (http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/specs/twinx2048-3200c2.pdf) it says for Intel 2-3-3-6 & for AMD 2.5-3-3-6. when i installed them on the mobo (DFI nForce4 SLI-D) it detected them as 3-3-3-8 by default in the BIOS .. now when i changed the CL to 2.0 or 2.5 i started to get crashes/lockups/errors in 3DMark2003 & 2005 so i went back to the defualt & now it seems to be running fine.

so whats wrong ?? is it the mobo or the RAMs or what?

FYI i had an OCZ DDR400 before which was set to 2-3-2-5 .. it wasent that stable too because i was getting some random crashes & lockups sometimes but i'm not sure its the reason as well because i didnt try setting the values back to defualt.

EDIT : now i'm getting crashes & lockups even at default clocks :|

jAkUp
06-24-05, 01:38 AM
Did you flash to the latest bios? It says it fixes some memory compatibility issues...

SH64
06-24-05, 01:46 AM
Did you flash to the latest bios? It says it fixes some memory compatibility issues...

Yes i did.

SH64
06-24-05, 11:20 PM
Looks like that RAM model is not compatible with the DFI mobo. i used it on my Intel PC & it worked fine.
when i returned it back i found someone else who has same trouble with Corsair RAM + DFI SLI mobo.
i read somewhere else that DFI mobos are too selective when it comes to RAM but i didnt believe it until now heh ..

OldOfEvil
06-28-05, 06:26 AM
I had weird issues when I had my old Corsair Value Select ( 2x512 PC-2700 ) in my Mobo, I would get random hangs on boot or it simply wouldn't post at all and had try repeatedly. Once I got the OCZ ram it works like a charm, haven't had any issues.

Dazz
06-28-05, 08:38 AM
Manually select the setting i find by SPD hardly ever works for anything.

SH64
06-28-05, 05:41 PM
I had weird issues when I had my old Corsair Value Select ( 2x512 PC-2700 ) in my Mobo, I would get random hangs on boot or it simply wouldn't post at all and had try repeatedly. Once I got the OCZ ram it works like a charm, haven't had any issues.

Yep i'm going OCZ too .. that seems to be the best solution .. it worked for other guy who had same trouble as mine.

GlowStick
06-28-05, 05:47 PM
SH64, im in the same EXACT boat, well almost only diffrence is slightly diffrent ram model (but same ram chips)

I cant get it to work eather, tired all the beta bios's designed for TCCD ram, no luck : (

I plan on getting Crucial Ballistix ram as soon as i can affoard it!

SH64
06-28-05, 05:56 PM
Have you tried upping the voltage ? .. worked with Veger i think.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52639

GlowStick
06-28-05, 06:30 PM
Have you tried upping the voltage ? .. worked with Veger i think.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52639
All the way up to 3v

So then i loaded defaults, put in some cheep kingston ram i had in my parents rig, no problems whatsoever.

SH64
06-28-05, 07:00 PM
All the way up to 3v

So then i loaded defaults, put in some cheep kingston ram i had in my parents rig, no problems whatsoever.

Well i guess thats it .. it seems to be a common problem with Corsair RAMs & DFI/SLI mobos.
i think i'm going to fire DFI a messege regarding this issue.

CriPPleR_HD
07-02-05, 03:02 AM
I had a DFI SLI-D in my main system for about a month with no problems. I decided to upgrade from 1gig of OCZ PC3200 Plat. Rev 2 to 2gigs and I had nothing but problems.

After fussing with tech support and not getting a solution, I picked up an Abit Fatal1ty AN8 mobo and had 0 issues with it. I am running 4 sticks of 512 at SPD 400mhz 2.80v. With the DFI I had to run at 333 and I would still get bluescreens etc.

Specs:

AMD FX-55/Abit Fatal1ty AN8
BFG 7800GTX OCZ
2gigs of OCZ PC3200 Platinum Rev. 2(512x4)
74gig Raptor HD/300gig Maxtor DiamondMax

I am gonna put my old X850 XT PE in my second PC but I need to get a new mobo since the one in there now is AGP. I tried my old DFI with just 1 gig of kingston memory but when I go to set up windows it just hangs on the the "Detecting System Configuration". I have to get the system up and running by tomorrow night, thats why I can't order online.

Since I have to have my 2nd PC up by tomorrow night, I went and picked up another DFI Lan party SLI-DR since it was the cheapest mobo but after reading the message boards and seeing that I am not the only one having issues I will just return the DFI tomorrow and get somthing else. I can't get another fatal1ty because I ordered it online and Fry's don't have them yet.

Can anyone recommend a good 939 SLI mobo? Since my A8N is not SLI I would like to get one mobo with SLI just incase I decide to pick up another 7800gtx in the future. It will be running the following:

AMD Venice 3200
X850 XT PE
1 gig Kingston Hyper X

Thanks in advance,

CriPPleR

jAkUp
07-02-05, 10:41 AM
The MSI K8N Neo4 is a great motherboard, and good overclockers, the only problem is you HAVE to make sure you get the new revision with the smaller capacitors underneath the second 16x PCIe slot.

CriPPleR_HD
07-02-05, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the advice, jAkUp.

Fry's nor Pixel USA had the MSI K8N Neo4 instock. Pixel did carry the new Asus A8N SLI Premium so I decided to give it a shot. The reviews are pretty good so I hope it does not give me any issues.

Thanks again, I am going to install it right after I finish this post.

-CriPPleR

jAkUp
07-02-05, 06:03 PM
Oh yea, the Asus A8N-SLI Premium is very nice also :)

I had the A8N-SLI Deluxe, and I did not like it at all. The Premium is MUCH improved though.

Dr.Nick
07-03-05, 12:04 PM
You know it could very well be the cpu. My FX53 was very picky and did not like to run at anything other than CL3 in any mobo. I tried both nF3 and KT800 boards with OCZ, COrsair, and Mushkin 2-2-2 mem and none would run at CL2. I did not get a chance to test it on the nF4.

CriPPleR_HD
07-04-05, 12:26 AM
I got my second rig up and running with no problems using the Asus A8N SLI Premium. It looks like I had a bad DFI Lan Party Ultra DR. So far I am really liking both the Abit Fatal1ty AN8 and the Asus A8N SLI Premium.

I am kinda pissed that the Fatal1ty did not come with a GigaLAN port since I just picked up the D-Link Gaming Loung 108g Router which comes with 4 GigaLAN ports. :(

Padawan Benchmarks:

3DMark05

Doom3 1600x1200 Ultra Quilty

Half-Life 2 1600x1200 4xAA 16xAF

GlowStick
07-04-05, 12:35 AM
I got my second rig up and running with no problems using the Asus A8N SLI Premium. It looks like I had a bad DFI Lan Party Ultra DR. So far I am really liking both the Abit Fatal1ty AN8 and the Asus A8N SLI Premium.

I am kinda pissed that the Fatal1ty did not come with a GigaLAN port since I just picked up the D-Link Gaming Loung 108g Router which comes with 4 GigaLAN ports. :(

Padawan Benchmarks:

3DMark05

Doom3 1600x1200 Ultra Quilty

Half-Life 2 1600x1200 4xAA 16xAF
Hm, I have a silimar situation to what you have. Migrating my cpu and ram from an Asus A8V to DFi sli mobo its no go. I guess it could just be a desgin with DFi issue? Do you think if i changed my mobo it would fix my problem?

CriPPleR_HD
07-04-05, 01:14 AM
GlowStick,

Don't blame your memory, I RMA'ed my memory thinking it was bad. It was the DFI Mobo all along. Your problem was close to mine. I would get blue screens, call DFi and they tell me to up the voltage and go over differnt timings, then one day it crashed and the voltage got all screwy.(Would not let me select 2.80v it would keep defaulting to 2.60v)

It's to bad cause when the DFI worked it worked great but when you start getting memory issues they start pailing up and when you fix one problem a new issue pops up. :(

I would send in your mobo for warrenty repair or buy a new one. I am pretty sure it will fix your problem since it worked for me with both PC's.

GlowStick
07-04-05, 01:55 AM
GlowStick,

Don't blame your memory, I RMA'ed my memory thinking it was bad. It was the DFI Mobo all along. Your problem was close to mine. I would get blue screens, call DFi and they tell me to up the voltage and go over differnt timings, then one day it crashed and the voltage got all screwy.(Would not let me select 2.80v it would keep defaulting to 2.60v)

It's to bad cause when the DFI worked it worked great but when you start getting memory issues they start pailing up and when you fix one problem a new issue pops up. :(

I would send in your mobo for warrenty repair or buy a new one. I am pretty sure it will fix your problem since it worked for me with both PC's.
Thing is i can still return or get a new mobo at my local frys. However, the other werid thing is, i got the blue screens etc, but when i put in diffrent ram it works fine. So maybe the mobo is ok, just my proc/mobo/ram dosent play well. but I dont want to invest money in a new proc or ram if its my mobo all along hm.

CriPPleR_HD
07-04-05, 03:12 AM
Thing is i can still return or get a new mobo at my local frys. However, the other werid thing is, i got the blue screens etc, but when i put in diffrent ram it works fine. So maybe the mobo is ok, just my proc/mobo/ram dosent play well. but I dont want to invest money in a new proc or ram if its my mobo all along hm.

I hear ya. Were you able to try and put the ram that does not work in another PC? If you can do that and it works then head to Fry's and pick up a new Mobo.

I think you are right, the ultra-D is prolly just picky when it comes to ram. :(

GlowStick
07-05-05, 01:06 AM
Hey guys, good news, i just fixed my problem!!!

I changed the Data Drive Strength (6) and Data Strength (4) and it fixed it.

However, oddly enough now i dont pass memtest86 anymore, but windows boots.

Werid eh?

GlowStick
07-08-05, 01:07 PM
Update:

I upgraded to 2 dimms of 1gig crucial PC4000 Ballistix Tracer ram, and all of my problems went away. Aparnetly the Data Drive Strength only helped windows boot. The system was very unstable if I loaded alot of apps causeing all of the ram to be filled!

Now, I am passing Prime95 at 2.5Ghz (never could do that on my old board) I hate to say, it was the 'dam' ram this whole time heh!

CriPPleR_HD
07-09-05, 04:37 AM
Update:

I upgraded to 2 dimms of 1gig crucial PC4000 Ballistix Tracer ram, and all of my problems went away. Aparnetly the Data Drive Strength only helped windows boot. The system was very unstable if I loaded alot of apps causeing all of the ram to be filled!

Now, I am passing Prime95 at 2.5Ghz (never could do that on my old board) I hate to say, it was the 'dam' ram this whole time heh!

Happy to see that your issue is resolved. In my case it was my mobo since it would not pick up my hard drive and the voltage kept getting defaulted back to 2.6V from 2.8v. On top of that windows would not install even when switching memory. :(

I did come across another issue tho. After playing most of my games with 4x512 OCZ memory I thought everything was fine. That was untill I played EQ2. Everytime I load up EQ2 and played for about 10mins my PC would lock up. Same with BF2. All my otehr games worked great, Doom3:RoE, HL2, Farcry, SC:CT, etc. :(

I then went to fry's to pick up two 1gig sticks to see if 4 512 sticks was the problem. Sure enough EQ2 would work great with two 1gig sticks of Corsair 3200CL2's.

Once I varified that EQ2 worked I then returned the Corsair and picked up the 2GB Kit (2x1GB) OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 Dual Channel Platinum from atacom.com since it was rated 2-3-2-5 and was cheaper. $277.00 vs 299.99. :)