PDA

View Full Version : Damm, these new Forceware drivers suck! (again)

Pages : [1] 2

burzin
06-23-05, 11:44 PM
Hi,

I have a P4 2.4Ghz overclocked to 2.7Ghz with 512MB Ram and a 6600GT 128MB AGP Card.

I have been playing Rome - Total War on my old card a FX5200 without any problems and with the 71.xx drivers. When I upgraded to my 6600GT the PC used to hang when in "Battle mode" with the 71.xx drivers. I downgraded my driver to 66.xx and it plays without anyproblem.

I hoped the new 77.72 WHQL drivers would be better but alas, its the same problem!

Anyone having similar problems, and how they solved it?

Thanks in advance.

Derek

skoprowski
06-24-05, 11:14 AM
Do a complete uninstall of the Nvidia drivers using driver cleaner (or something similar) and then install again. I would also make sure your mb chipset drivers are up to date. Maybe you want to try running your cpu at stock speed too. Better yet, dump the Intel cpu and get yourself a Athlon 64 :)

SLippe
06-24-05, 01:27 PM
Intel = suxors

Seriously though, uninstall your nvidia display drivers and clean with Driver Cleaner 3 or whatever and reinstall. Yeah, and make sure your mobo drivers are up to date. If it's an NForce board, get the newest drivers at nvidia.com. Good luck.

burzin
06-25-05, 12:57 AM
Thanks!

I have the same problem when I run my CPU at correct speeds. I will try uninstalling the drivers as you suggested and get back.

Its a ASUS board - P4S8X-X

As for AMD....maybe next-time ;)

OWA
06-25-05, 01:12 AM
Try turning fastwrites off in the bios also.

Glus
06-25-05, 01:31 AM
Lol, I feel your pain. I have very good results with 77.50, and several others.
When I upgraded to 77.72, behold, system becomes unresponsive on average every 8 hours, even when idle, and requires a reboot. (no way to tell what is happening, no blue screen, no event log messages, just screen frozen on what it was doing last). I go back to 77.50, all is good again.

This has been my experience with nvida ever since my geforce 1. The offically released whql drivers were most of the time unstable for me, but I could always find betas that were 100 percent stable.

Some things never change :)

$n][pErMan
06-25-05, 11:45 AM
Im sticking with the 77.30's that came with BF2.... those have been working great for me :)

agent
06-25-05, 02:13 PM
Hi ;)

I am very happy with the 77.72 after fix the video probs. But that betas are running more stable then WHQL is crazy ;)

mad_man
06-25-05, 04:28 PM
This is embarrasing for NVidia. Its a shame that it has taken so long already without fixed drivers.

OWA
06-25-05, 04:36 PM
This is embarrasing for NVidia. Its a shame that it has taken so long already without fixed drivers.

How so? They work fine for me and people that have the too bright gamma setting by default just need to reset it and then it's fine. It's irritating to have to do it but only takes a couple of seconds.

mad_man
06-25-05, 06:13 PM
How so? They work fine for me and people that have the too bright gamma setting by default just need to reset it and then it's fine. It's irritating to have to do it but only takes a couple of seconds.

And it is completely unacceptable for an official driver release. We need a new one, even if it just fixes this issue.

j0j081
06-25-05, 09:18 PM
WTF does his brand of CPU have to do with his issue? Good answers for a CompUSA tech though. Of course you have proven that you know nothing about a lot of things in the past:

Perhaps offering advice to others when you are really not very bright isn't a good idea as they might listen to you.
Maybe he was suggesting an Athlon 64 simply because Intel does suck. He never said it would fix the user's current problem. If you read his post over it also says "Do a complete uninstall of the Nvidia drivers using driver cleaner (or something similar) and then install again. I would also make sure your mb chipset drivers are up to date." Who the **** are you to go around looking up other people's past posts and insult their intelligence? You seriously have issues and might want to head on over to an aol chat room to argue about something else.

skoprowski
06-25-05, 09:28 PM
I ended my cpu remark with a :)- can't anyone take a joke? I didn't mean anything by that other than a lighthearted comment- and you turn it into a hate message. Thanks for showing your true colors bknblk- your post has been reported. BTW- Detroit was one 3 pointer away from beating your Spurs in 6. They'll play again next year.

OWA
06-25-05, 11:13 PM
And it is completely unacceptable for an official driver release. We need a new one, even if it just fixes this issue.
Heh, okay. If you say so.

MUYA
06-26-05, 12:15 AM
Calm down ppl.

MUYA
06-26-05, 12:19 AM
I would like ppl to actually respect it when I put my foot down.

No more back and forth. Discuss topic at hand or carry your banter througgh PMs

Thanks

mad_man
06-26-05, 06:03 AM
I am sorry, I think you got me wrong. Although my point was simple, I should perhaps have elaborated on it. What I was saying is just that I think that video playback problems is such a major issue that any driver having it shouldn't be official. Whetter NVidia should pull them, or let them stay on their site for a short period while fixing them is NVidia's decision. But that short period it stays on their site will cause a lot of problems for people who may not know to come here or to other forums to find out whats wrong. Which is why I think NVidia should pull them if they can't work out the issue very quickly. Not everyone knows their way around to sites like NVnews when they are having problems, and this issue causes lots of problems for Average Joe, who might not be able to figure it out.

mike2h
06-26-05, 02:21 PM
good post madman.
betas are one thing but to have an 'official' release that requires some sort of expertise/knowledge to fix a particular aspect of their use is a bad move on their part.
at a minimum they should have the instr for the fix next to the download button.

EverGreen
06-26-05, 05:27 PM
The WHQL part did not from Nvidia but from those Micro$oft guys who testing it out with too old tools, they really losers in keeping the way up for the drivers.
Many parts in the drivers are forgotten and not been concrete for all kinds of cards, betas been better than the WHQL and its sure that the lame WHQL drivers will never stop releasing when they will put up the mess @ M$ DX group DSK first!
The whole hype bout this drivers will never end, the only peeps i did trust bout those new drivers been u all guys & girls who tell what is good and what is bad about them...

OWA
06-26-05, 05:31 PM
Yeah, the WHQL means nothing. When I had an AIW 9800 Pro, they botched something in the INF file on one version of the cats so no OpenGL games would even run. It only required a simple edit of the INF file to fix it. Even in that state though, it passed WHQL testing and was certified. I really don't think they check a lot.

burzin
06-26-05, 11:56 PM
Intel = suxors

Seriously though, uninstall your nvidia display drivers and clean with Driver Cleaner 3 or whatever and reinstall. Yeah, and make sure your mobo drivers are up to date. If it's an NForce board, get the newest drivers at nvidia.com. Good luck.

Hi and Thanks! I uninstalled my 66.31 drivers using Driver Cleaner 3 and installed the 77.72 again. But alas the same issuee. I had tried setting Fast Writes to OFF without any difference.

I tried installing the 66.93 drivers and they work great on my 6600GT! On the Aquamark 3 tests I got a score of 30,500! I was getting a score of 29,100 with the 66.31 driver. I think there is some problem with the 7x.xx release of the Forceware driver with my configuration setup.

pooface
06-27-05, 01:18 AM
All the drivers that are compatible cause me bsods in Unreal 2k4, and actually the 77.50 caused me problems in GTA San andreas as well (not nearly as often as UT2k4 though..

Hope nvidia fixes it =/

Acid Rain
06-27-05, 03:26 AM
Even in that state though, it passed WHQL testing and was certified. I really don't think they check a lot. Sometimes it appears as if all they do is run a quick virus check on the file and "certify" it if it's clean :rolleyes: Either that, or they just send it off to ATi for testing :D

Electronic Punk
06-27-05, 05:53 AM
I would like ppl to actually respect it when I put my foot down.

Bring it on! Seriously tho, these drivers were released so there was something official out there for the 7800 GTX (they got alot of criticism, mostly from me when there was no decent official release for the 6800 series for months)

The gamma issue is easily fixed and NVIDIA just need to be made aware that problems exist, they are not pyschic.

WHQL doesn't test every aspect of the drivers, it just means they conform to the regulation of the moment, if a driver became WHQL certified and was then deemed perfect, why would there ever be more than one driver?

As I doubt most of you that are running these drivers don't have a 7800 variant, why not roll back... it isn't the worst thing in the world, personally as I use my xbox for media playback mostly, I have no issues with these drivers and actually think they are pretty damn good, but then I use 64bit so most of my options are limited.

btw, you should make topic titles barely relevent to the topic in future.

EverGreen
06-27-05, 06:22 AM
We are just a thin line of beta users here, don't forget that the 'mass' will only use the WHQL drivers and they don't like to grab the beta drivers for being freightend that their PC will up in smoke....

I'd just asked myself if those M$ WHQL and Nvidia not listen or ever tried to stick up from the peeps and modders how to make great drivers?
it seems they be slaves some were in a dungeon, deep under us to make stupidious drivers as usual.
They could better start a contest who makes the best and most marvelous drivers for our cards...