PDA

View Full Version : New respect for Intel motherboards

Treason
06-24-05, 03:06 AM
During their i845/i865 era, Intel produced motherboards that didn't allow any tweaking. In fact, they were built for rock-solid stability. Well, now I know firsthand.

My Uncle has a P4 2.4B CPU and Intel D865GBF motherboard. His vintage house experienced a massive power surge thanks to some appliance-happy renters downstairs. Unfortunately his computer was on at the time, so bam! Circuit breaker trips and instant power failure.

He expected the computer to be completely fried because the stench of burning electronics soon filled the air.

The power surge caused the bios to reset and changed the [hard drive] option in the boot sequence menu to [none].

After the Intel splash screen comes up, the Windows XP screen comes up. Sometimes it takes 1 second, sometimes it passes and goes to the log-on screen, but in every instance the hard drive powers down and powers back up, causing a cold boot. After letting it sit for 24 hours, the computer boots normally and I can run whatever program I wish. But maybe 5 minutes in, the same problem resurfaces, and I get endless cold reboots. I can access bios menu and stay there, letting the computer sit idle with no reboots.

Surprisingly, turns out only the 512 mb ram blew. I swapped power supplies, hard drives, used safe mode, used windows XP boot CD. Until I swapped ram.

The poor sods downstairs lost an Athlon64 3500+ CPU and a Neo2-plat-fir-whatever-its-called motherboard.

So props to Intel for building rock solid motherboards.

Absolution
06-24-05, 10:14 AM
not to run your parade down but does this have more to do with PSU protection then motherboard stabliity? or at least a little luck?

Treason
06-24-05, 03:49 PM
Well, considering it's a cheap no-name 350 W PSU, I would think it may be luck as well. :D

nVestor
06-24-05, 04:29 PM
Yep, it's amazing what you can do with them. :) I throw mine in the pool every now and then to clean out the pesky dust bunnies. Fix's it right up, no more bunnies. ;)

SocketAzzWipe
06-24-05, 05:29 PM
I have new found respect for S3 Virge videocards. I sledge hammered one and now I can play Battlefield 2 at twice the speed of 7800gtx.

betterdan
06-24-05, 06:24 PM
I have new found respect for S3 Virge videocards. I sledge hammered one and now I can play Battlefield 2 at twice the speed of 7800gtx.
:udawg:

jAkUp
06-24-05, 09:59 PM
Yes the PSU or surge protector is the reason the mobo survived :D A serious surge will kill ANY motherboard