PDA

View Full Version : BF2/nvidia Problems

atomicrc11
06-24-05, 07:26 AM
Hey guys, I am having problems with BF2. I have an Athlon 3400+, Abit KV8 Pro, 1 GB (2x512) Crucial Ballistix memory and an eVga Geforce 6800. My computer was working fine before BF2. I reinstalled my OS after this problem and it is still there. I had a tv card in there, but removed it when I installed the OS to eliminate problems. Any suggestions? I tried the 71.89, 77.30, and 77.72 driver versions and they all give me the same error. Windows reports that it was a graphics card error after it does a hard lock and I reboot. Any suggestions?

jolle
06-24-05, 07:58 AM
sounds funky..
Any other games giving you this?
Got the chipset drivers installed?
Tried disable Fastwrites? (unless its PCI-E ofcource)

atomicrc11
06-24-05, 09:48 AM
I will try disabling fast writes. I have the via 4in1 4.56 installed which is the latest drivers for the motherboard. I used to have UT2k4 crash on exit, but that stopped when getting the 71.89 series driver. I have to reinstall UT2k4 to find out if it is happened since I just did a reformat on my computer. Windows definitly says its the video card driver. I took this 6800 and isntalled it into my fathers computer running an nforce2 and AXP 3000+ and it worked fine. I was able to play for 2 hours last night. So it has to be something in this particular system. I doubt it is the video card itself since it works fine with the 77.72s in another machine. Could it be a motherboard issue? I'm at a loss as to what to try next. I would hate to have to buy new stuff now since everything I have is working great. Thanks for the help.

SLippe
06-24-05, 01:29 PM
I doubt it's BF2. That sounds more hardware'ish or driver related. There is a thread around here somewhere about the VIA chipset and the problems it has. Good luck.

jolle
06-24-05, 01:38 PM
Windows definitly says its the video card driver.
Yeah but the reason the driver fails might be elsewhere, I thought perhaps if the GART drivers in the chipsetdrivers werent installed it could cause it or something like that..
Like Grunt said, check for VIA & Nvidia compatiblity issues in that thread he mentioned, might find something related there.

tardeaux
06-24-05, 03:31 PM
could be heat or power related - what kind of pc powersupply do you have? brand and wattage are big factors, but any other info might be useful too. also, i had a bit of a similar problem with BF2 but mine would force-reboot or hard-lock either immediately on start up (during the movie sequences) or right after an alt-tab. overcame it just by forcing it to use the same resolution/refresh as my desktop (1280x1024@72Hz). Once those matched, no issues since :)

atomicrc11
06-25-05, 09:09 PM
I have an antec true power 430W powersupply. I have a PCI sound card, ATI TV card, GeForce 6800, 2 SATA WD Harddrives and 2 DVD Drives. Is this enough power for all this?

atomicrc11
06-25-05, 10:03 PM
Well, I did a full reinstall of my system, used the latest version 5.00 hyperion pro drivers and didn't install the AGP driver, and so far so good. I also am now running at 1280x1024. The 77.72s are running fine. I guess it was the AGP driver of the VIA chipset that it didn't like.