View Full Version : No AGP version of the 7800 expected

Pages : [1] 2 3

sclaws
06-24-05, 03:53 PM
I apologize if this is posted elsewhere..I didn't see any headings about it:

http://www.cooltechzone.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=1463&Itemid=0

LBJM
06-24-05, 03:56 PM
AGP needs to die! upgrade or die that's how agp was born, and that's how it will die! if you want a faster video card get a faster slot ;)

OWA
06-24-05, 03:57 PM
The below thread is where it was being discussed although in that thread, it seemed to indicate that nvidia would be releasing an AGP version. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52404

The FAQ just says this:

Q: Will you use HSI to make AGP-based GeForce 7800 boards?
We are not disclosing plans for AGP at this time, but that is certainly possible with the flexibility of our HSI chip.

bkswaney
06-24-05, 03:58 PM
I see no reason for them to put out an AGP part myself.

If someone wants to spend 600+ on a card they
most likly have the funds to buy a board and cpu. ;)

H-street
06-24-05, 03:59 PM
this is the trend now adays..

it is the same with games..

Nvidia has stock in PCIe motherboards.. so they feel they can push consumers to upgrade their moboard for something like the 7800GTX.

Roliath
06-24-05, 04:01 PM
I really doubt nvidia would just "kill" AGP like that, especially since there are rumours that ATi will be releasing an AGP variant of the r520. Do you think they'll just give the AGP market to ATi?

combat_wombat
06-24-05, 04:23 PM
I forsee a slump in nvidia earnings, hehe

hectorsm
06-24-05, 04:57 PM
NVidia will most likely continue to produce 6X00 AGP card to satisfy owners of AGP boards. There is plenty of life left in this generation of cards. I don't see a need to produce an 7800GTX in AGP specially when PCI-xpress mobos are now fairly cheap.

Dazz
06-24-05, 05:00 PM
Yeah the 6800 will be side by side with the 7800, as updates from board venders reguarding AGP is getting less and less i couldn't see them really doing AGP.

rewt
06-24-05, 05:53 PM
PCI-xpress mobos are now fairly cheap.

In order to upgrade from AGP to PCI-e graphics card most of us would have to upgrade more than just the mainboard.

aZn_plyR
06-24-05, 06:15 PM
well, doesn't matter to me since I wont be getting a new v/c anytime soon, my 6800ultra will hold me over.. but still...if nvidia doesn't release a comparable agp card..... Ati fanboy here we come!!

Pandora's Box
06-24-05, 06:34 PM
they probably have no intention of doing agp while the competition has nothing that matches the pci express version. if the competition does release something to compete and in agp then nvidia will more than likely do an agp card.

LBJM
06-24-05, 07:32 PM
well, doesn't matter to me since I wont be getting a new v/c anytime soon, my 6800ultra will hold me over.. but still...if nvidia doesn't release a comparable agp card..... Ati fanboy here we come!!

have you ever owned an ATI? I've owned ATI AIW pro, AIW radeon, and 9800 pro and let me say this ATIs drivers lack big time in Linux and in windows. They were slow in releasing x64 drivers too. Nvidia as spoiled me with very good drivers. ATI's openGL drivers stink the 16bit bug is sad to say the least. down the road nvidia will released a speed bump in driver form while ATI will not. think before shooting yourself in the foot. although if only nvidia could do AIW stuff like ATI then they can run them out of town.

LBJM

Red_Shift
06-24-05, 07:41 PM
If someone wants to spend 600+ on a card they
most likly have the funds to buy a board and cpu.
I think we should talk about the whole series, I'd buy an AGP 7800 vanilla if specs please me as I don't have the money right now to move to a pci-e system. The pc revolution comes next year so wouldn't be wise to spend money now, for me ofcourse, if you have alot of money then spend it now.

SLippe
06-24-05, 08:04 PM
If they do make an AGP 7800 card then cool, if not, then cool. I wouldn't be surprised either way. Like someone said, if you have the money for a 7800 right now, then you probably have the money for the mobo/cpu. I'm not worried about it.

maxbero
06-24-05, 08:17 PM
In order to upgrade from AGP to PCI-e graphics card most of us would have to upgrade more than just the mainboard.

Indeed.
Why should I change the whole rig (mainbord, cpu, power supply, ram) if i do not care about SLi?

Seph gPu
06-24-05, 08:33 PM
They're trying to move ahead, pci-e is the requirement now, if they do make an agp flavor look for it to be of lower high-end, such as the vanilla 7800 and don't forget agp would cost more than pci-e since they're going out of their way to make it now. That is, if one is made.

scott123
06-24-05, 09:04 PM
"An insider today confirmed that NVIDIA has no plans to offer an AGP version of the 7800 GTX currently, but it all depends on the demand. The reason is not because the 7800 GTX couldn’t be ported over to the AGP standard architecturally, but NVIDIA just doesn’t see the demand anymore. But if users are persuading enough, NVIDIA and its board partners would have no problems offering an AGP counterpart to the PCIe version."

Doesn't exactly say that.

hectorsm
06-24-05, 09:05 PM
It depends on what you currently have. Since I have a 939 AGP mobo I will only have to change the mobo. All other parts will work fine including my PS.

It does not make sense running an old 754 processor with an 7800 AGP anyway since it will probably be CPU limited. I wiser decision will be to buy a 6800U which will provide much better price performance ratio.

shadow001
06-24-05, 09:13 PM
I don't see why i should upgrade my motherboard just so i can get a new video card,especially when i just found out that the ol clunker i'm running actually supports X2 athlon 64 cpu's with a bios update that's due for next week... :D

Meaning that apart from PCI-e slots on the newer boards,which still have no performance improvement over the older socket 939 NF3 ultra AGP boards,since they both run on the Same FSB,use the same dual channel DDR ram and have the same CPU support, i see a motherboard update as a waste of money in those conditions...

I'll only justify a motherboard upgrade once there are advantages in performance terms over what i'm currently using,such as Faster FSB,DDR2 or even DDR3 memory support,higher cpu support,etc...

So in the meantime,i'll be using an X2 4800 cpu with 2gigs of ram and an X850XT card,and if ATI does indeed release an R520 AGP card later this year ,they'll have my money and Nvidia won't, and i'm pretty sure that setup has a realistic chance of lasting me well into 2007

CR0C0DILE
06-24-05, 09:16 PM
There is no reason to switch to pci express yet. Its not faster than 8x AGP yet so why bother? Until pci express cpus are faster than the cpus that AGP boards have I will just wait. Right now upgrading makes no sense at all because CPU power has been stuck in a rut for two years going nowhere. I would not be surprised to see ASUS do an AGP verion all on its own without nvidias help. When it comes to going its own way ASUS leads the pack.

hectorsm
06-24-05, 09:29 PM
I don't see why i should upgrade my motherboard just so i can get a new video card,especially when i just found out that the ol clunker i'm running actually supports X2 athlon 64 cpu's with a bios update that's due for next week... :D

The 7800GTX is way over what most people need today. Only those who like to run super high-res and high filtering on the latest game "might" need it. But the same could be said of the X2 CPUs. Unless you are multi-tasking a X2 CPU is also a waste of money.

I doubt that ATI will release another high end AGP video card late this year. Right now only NVidia cards can make use of the multi-core cpu in drivers so you will probably see little benefit from switching to ATI until the games get rewritten or patched.

shadow001
06-24-05, 10:07 PM
The 7800GTX is way over what most people need today. Only those who like to run super high-res and high filtering on the latest game "might" need it. But the same could be said of the X2 CPUs. Unless you are multi-tasking a X2 CPU is also a waste of money.

I doubt that ATI will release another high end AGP video card late this year. Right now only NVidia cards can make use of the multi-core cpu in drivers so you will probably see little benefit from switching to ATI until the games get rewritten or patched.

Video cards have been overkill for quite some time now,not just with the arrival of the 7800 that it magically happened,but that's besides the point in any case,as most people,given the choice and disposable income,would rather buy a card that's overpowered for current games and know that the excess performance will be used up in more demanding games eventually,hopefully having enough grunt to last the next 18~24 months at the very least...That's my upgrade cycle in any case.

It's the same reason for my choice with the X2 cpu's,i'd rather buy that than say the upcoming FX57,even thought i know that i won't be getting the same gaming performance that i would with that FX57,but the 10~15% performance disadvantage in single threaded cpu bound games,is something i can live with the X2 4800,as it gets very high gaming performance no matter what,but the X2 has the potential to become much faster that the FX57 in the long run in a gaming environment,once games do start to become multithreaded,and given that those future games will have higher CPU processing demands,that extra core will very likely come in very handy,since it can give me that extra performance when it's actually needed...

And btw....It's confirmed that ATI will continue to release AGP versions at least until the end of the year for their entire range of cards with the use of their Rialto bridge chip...Ati's CEO mentioned it in an interview a couple of months ago..

Darkoz
06-24-05, 10:09 PM
I really doubt nvidia would just "kill" AGP like that, especially since there are rumours that ATi will be releasing an AGP variant of the r520. Do you think they'll just give the AGP market to ATi?

I tend to agree, if ATI produces an AGP R520 (that is if they manage to produce the R520 at all) then nVidia will undoubtedly release an AGP 7800GTX as well.
Remember, the AGP market is still greater than the PCI-E market at the moment. Many users still have high end AGP systems which for them there's no incentive to change over to PCI-E yet as the performance advatage is very mimimal, if not non existent to justify the expense of a new video card, motherboard, CPU, PSU, and RAM, virtually a whole new system.

On the other hand, if neither company produce an AGP card from now on, then all of us with an AGP system will have only two choices, either bite the bullet and open your wallet if you want the latest and greatest.
Otherwise, give this generation of cards a miss and hang onto your high end AGP system for another year, which makes more sense to me.

jAkUp
06-24-05, 10:24 PM
Why does everyone say you need a new PSU? You guys do understand that 20-24 pin adapters are like $5.

Maybe the 7800GTX does push enough bandwith to take advantage of the PCIE's 16GB's?

The AGEIA rep told me the PPU pushes enough to take advantage of the PCIe bus. If a physics card can push close to 4GB's of bandwidth, why can't a video card do over 8GB's?