PDA

View Full Version : help!

JeRi
06-24-05, 06:43 PM
hey everyone...

for a while i noticed my zalman vf700cu fan had always been a lil noisier than it should have been (at least for what should be "silent", as it's my first time ever dealing with alternative solutions for stock cooling), but i dealt with it because it gave me good temps on my 6600gt...but lately i noticed it was getting louder, so i decided to pop open my case and take a look at it. tried clearing out dust and whatnot, still no help. even took the fan/hs off and put on more AS5, but now the fan is uncontrollably loud. it definitely should not be doing this, and i don't know what i should do. i'm thinking of trying to put my stock heatsink back on for the time being, but what should i do with the fan? should i send it back to zalman or to where i bought it online? because it's definitely not acting right, but i just don't know what to do :(

Clay
06-24-05, 06:52 PM
I would first check on Zalman's website for any FAQs or support on this particular issue to see if there is some kind of fix or known issue. Otherwise, it sounds like you should RMA it.

JeRi
06-24-05, 07:12 PM
i just filled out a form for an RMA with zalman because this is definitely a problem they should address, because it definitely should not be making noise like this. what a pain ugh

JeRi
06-24-05, 08:04 PM
ok well i was totally wrong...wasn't my fan at all that was the problem, well not on my video card at least...turns out it's on my motherboard. I have an A8N-SLI Deluxe, and it turns out it's the chipset fan by the PCI-e slots so should i go to asus and see if i can get a replacement fan? because my computer is basically unusable until i can get this fixed

Clay
06-24-05, 08:26 PM
Ah yes, that chipset fan is a known issue with that ASUS motherboard. They should send you a replacement fan if you contact them about it.

stncttr908
06-24-05, 08:47 PM
Get the replacement ASAP!

Oh, and for future reference, please use a more descriptive topic title. :D

JeRi
06-24-05, 08:49 PM
yep, i just got off the phone with asus...should be here in a week...UGH....

sorry bout the title, was just flippin out cuz i was pissed that this was being so loud....now i'm off to take off my stock fan from my 6600gt and put my zalman back on, again, since that wasn't the problem.

JeRi
06-24-05, 08:53 PM
oh and another question...since right now i'm on my parents POC gateway desktop, i was wondering if i could just disconnect the chipset fan for now i can still use my computer? i won't be playin any games or the like till i get the replacement, but i was just wondering if my pc would still be functional if i turned it off since it's so damn loud?

Clay
06-24-05, 09:01 PM
oh and another question...since right now i'm on my parents POC gateway desktop, i was wondering if i could just disconnect the chipset fan for now i can still use my computer? i won't be playin any games or the like till i get the replacement, but i was just wondering if my pc would still be functional if i turned it off since it's so damn loud?
yeah it should be fine as long as you don't stress the system much. You can get a replacement at most local electronic stores. I like the Coolermaster passive heat sink but it's too tall for PCI-E mobos unfortunately. There are others though.

JeRi
06-24-05, 09:24 PM
ok, then i may do that if it gets to be a bother...after just fiddling aroundwith it, the noise decreased some to where it's tolerable for now, so i'll just leave it be until i get the replacement from asus (don't feel like spending more money on the comp right now when i can get the part for free)

Clay
06-24-05, 09:33 PM
Here are links to a Zalman and Coolermaster passive heat sink. They're usually about $5 at most stores. Again, though, they are usually too tall and interfere with video cards on PCI-E mobos.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118214
http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product&p_serial=PAC-P01&other_title=+PAC-P01+Northbridge%20Chipset%20Cooler

You could always Dremel/file down the height of them though or remove some fins to allow for your vid card to "slide" in place. :)

JeRi
06-24-05, 11:11 PM
thanks m8...i'll keep those in mind. i'll give what they're sending me a try, and if that's a no go, then i'll go with a passive heat sink if i have to