PDA

View Full Version : BF2 vehicle lag with more than one person in vehicle?

ekloot1978
06-24-05, 10:16 PM
Hey, I started a thread about this over in planetbattlefield but I wanted to see if anyone here has noticed this problem in battlefield 2 as well...basically if I jump into a vehicle with another person and I am a passenger and NOT the driver I get tons of lag...but the framerate is still high. The wierd thing though is that if you are the driver you don't experience any lag at all...only if you are a passenger. And this does not happen in single player. Also, it happens only slightly in 16 player servers but its pretty bad on 32 or 64 player servers. This doesn't happen to me with battlefield vietnam or 1942...and my connection is fairy decent 2.5Mbit/400Kbit...and I have low pings. Anyone else seeing this problem?...a couple others on planetbattlefield are experiencing the exact same thing but I suspect that a lot more people are.

Mudcrutch
06-24-05, 10:18 PM
server craziness... theres lag on most if not all large servers that have high traffic... wait for a patch i suppose... :-\

CaptNKILL
06-24-05, 11:28 PM
Yeah I noticed it today too. I get a lot of lagginess in general, not to mention lots of skips and jumps, but its hard to say whats caused by lag and whats caused by a lack of RAM. Strange thing though, Cacheman says my maximum memory usage is 1019 of 1024Mbs... so I still had at least 5Mb of ram free. I wonder if adding another gig would even do anything at all, maybe its just the game.

nVestor
06-24-05, 11:57 PM
I tried this and it helped out with the lag in ranked servers:

http://forums.totalbf2.com/showthread.php?t=8966
step 1: visit http://www.punkbuster.com/index.php?page=updatepb.php

step 2: download the exe "pbweb.exe" or download the zip "pbweb.zip". both are found about half way down the page.

step 3: put the .exe in the pb folder for BF2, found at c:/programfiles/eagames/battlefield2/pb (at least, that's where it is for me).

step 4: run the .exe---takes a few minutes to finish.

step 5: save a thousand dollars from not having to buy a new monitor every time you punch the screen in out of frustration.

Source:
http://www.bf2world.net/bbs/lag-fix-vt609.html

Worked for me!
When updating PunkBuster, it felt like it took 3 minutes to update. Freaking nutz! :eek: Afterwards, I joined the ranked servers that I normally had probs with and didn't get any lag. It might work for some of you, as it has worked for 4 of my teamates thus far on various system from Intel to AMD/AMD64.

Good luck with it! :thumbsup:

ekloot1978
06-25-05, 12:51 AM
well I think I'm good when it comes to everyone's suggestions...and thanks very much by the way. Almost always when I'm on a good server I don't have any lag troubles and everything is pretty smooth and good. However, really the only time I always experience lag is when I'm the second or third person in a vehicle. That's why I think it is some sort of game bug.

CaptNKILL
06-25-05, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the pbweb tip! I forgot to manually update myself, I've heard that it really helps a lot with lag :)

Superfly
06-25-05, 08:47 AM
yeh PB can be a pain in the arse - I still have nightmares about it frommy SOF2 days.

manual updating works well.

can I suugest using the following console command rather than PBWEB - use PBWEB as a last resort.

type: pb_sv_update

then just let it do its thing.

Sgt_Pitt
06-25-05, 01:03 PM
bf series has always done it to the passengers, especially as gunner in heli's

CaptNKILL
06-25-05, 06:32 PM
bf series has always done it to the passengers, especially as gunner in heli's
Heh, dont forget people standing on the moving ships... THAT was lag :eek: