PDA

View Full Version : BFG 7800GTX sli wont work - tip of iceberg for me

GlowStick
06-24-05, 11:31 PM
Hi,

I havent posted in the past two days because my computer 'wont' work heh!

Here is my problem

Drivers: 77.72

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=12228&stc=1

I bought these from ZipZoomFly on the 22nd, received the 23. The bios appears to be the same (according to the label on the back)

Any ideas how to make it work? Next, is there any special way I have to install the bridge?

Next, after installing my new mobo (DFi Nf4-sli-D) i cannot run my processer (fx-53) at anything higher than 2ghz or i get lockup upon windows boot. I hae relaxed the ram timeings and upped the voltage etc to no effect. If anyone has some suggestions on both problems id be welcome to them!

Current Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 FX-53
DFi nf4-sli-d
Corsair TwinX 1gig kit 3200xlpro 2-2-2-5
2x BFG Tech 7800 GTX
Coolermaster Hyper 6 heatsink
Western Digital 320gig SATA hdd
Toshiba DVD-Rom
Generic Flopppy
PC Power and Cooling 510w Deluxe
ATX 20 pin to 24 pin adaptor
2 4pin molex to 6pin molex adaptor

Software:
Windows XP Pro w/SP2
All windows updates
Forceware 77.72
Windows XP/2000 - nForce4 AMD (6.53)

My suspision about my 2.0ghz is power. Mainly becuase to make all the proper connections i had to use a y splitter. However, PC Power and Cooling has a SLi model witch is the same PSU with a diffrent plug configoration. SO that makes me wonder if haveing that would make a diffrence? Also i have heavy use of adaptors, but I do question again, if its the same PSU unit dose it make a diffrence??

I am dumping water cooling because it was to expensive/hassle/worrie for me so tahts why i have a major change in that!

Thanks in adavance!

GlowStick!~ :confused: :confused:

mikechai
06-24-05, 11:40 PM
Oh man, sorry to hear that.
Have you tried other drivers?
It might me your mobo or PSU since you can't run your FX-53 at > 2GHz....

GlowStick
06-24-05, 11:47 PM
Oh man, sorry to hear that.
Have you tried other drivers?
It might me your mobo or PSU since you can't run your FX-53 at > 2GHz....
I hate to say, i havent tired any other drivers yet, im going to do that now.

Ive been fighting for 2 days to get my system to boot, only been messing with the cards for about 1 hours. I forgot to mention that I tested both cards with 3dmark05 loops and they both passed 3 loops.

I also noticed one card allways scored faster than the other, and now regret that i did not check the clock speeds they were at!!

Ruined
06-24-05, 11:48 PM
I would guess defective motherboard, though based on those 3dmark scores, maybe one card is not OC'd ? Also when you tested did you have only one card in a time in the same slot, or did you leave both cards in?

GlowStick
06-24-05, 11:55 PM
I would guess defective motherboard, though based on those 3dmark scores, maybe one card is not OC'd ? Also when you tested did you have only one card in a time in the same slot, or did you leave both cards in?
Hm, you coudl be right, ill have to make a nother trip to frys tomorow and exchange it.

However, the DFi is a Pain in the but to test a single card. I have to remove both cards, change the 6 jumpers to single mode, then put one back in. The DFi WONT boot with one card in with it in sli mode!!!

However I am now thinking that my cards shiped with diffrent clocks. However im not confident because i was messing around with aa/af settings before the test, basicly one run i got about 8,080 another i got 7600. that with my cpu at 2ghz :eek:

PS. removeing the mobo is a pain, since ive done it 4 times already heh.

jAkUp
06-25-05, 12:05 AM
Hmmm.. do you have the latest BIOS? Have you reset the CMOS? I am using the PC Power and Cooling rev1 (without the SLI connectors) and just using adapters, and everything seems peachy here.

If you can't get it to work, I would rip the BIOS of one of the cards, and reflash it to the other one. If the cards came with different clocks, maybe they have the same sticker, but different BIOS's

GlowStick
06-25-05, 12:15 AM
Hmmm.. do you have the latest BIOS? Have you reset the CMOS? I am using the PC Power and Cooling rev1 (without the SLI connectors) and just using adapters, and everything seems peachy here.

If you can't get it to work, I would rip the BIOS of one of the cards, and reflash it to the other one. If the cards came with different clocks, maybe they have the same sticker, but different BIOS's
Hm, I think your right, the bios's are jacked, i can only read the clocks of '1' card right now and its 460/1.2. SO im guessing maybe the other is even lower or correct?

Heh, what program do i use to get bios's again and dose it work for pci express :confused:

jAkUp
06-25-05, 12:23 AM
You need to use nVflash. It works the same for PCIe and AGP cards...

When i did my 6800 Ultra's, I just put one in at a time. Worked like a charm. Just be careful!!!!
http://www.mvktech.net/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

bkswaney
06-25-05, 12:25 AM
Sounds like a bad board to me.

GlowStick
06-25-05, 01:04 AM
Woot
The video bios's are diffrent, the stickers lie!!!

One is 5.70.02.11.01
Seocnd is 5.70.02.11.22

Im going to use the .22 for both cards i guess, sounds newer to me (i hope)

jAkUp
06-25-05, 01:10 AM
Yup, that one definetely should be newer.

Ruined
06-25-05, 01:30 AM
Hm, I think your right, the bios's are jacked, i can only read the clocks of '1' card right now and its 460/1.2. SO im guessing maybe the other is even lower or correct?

Heh, what program do i use to get bios's again and dose it work for pci express :confused:

I thought BFG was supposed to be 460/1.3?

lowdog
06-25-05, 01:46 AM
I thought BFG was supposed to be 460/1.3?

It better be because I am waiting on mine to be delivered.

GlowStick
06-25-05, 01:54 AM
Ruined, yes however im assumeing it is being read correctly.

Next, i got sli working woot! :D :D :D

Gonna test it out.

Im gonna worrie about the cpu problem tomorow : (

GlowStick
06-26-05, 01:49 PM
Update!

After swapping ram out with a friend, it appears to be the problem. All stock settings are running just peachy, getting 11k in 3dmark05 :D

However, it dosent appear my ram is bad, it just hates my cpu/mobo combo. Heh : (

I am running memtest86 on it on my other rig to make sure though, so far no problems at all. The ram will be going up for sale : (

BrianG
06-26-05, 01:53 PM
Update!

After swapping ram out with a friend, it appears to be the problem. All stock settings are running just peachy, getting 11k in 3dmark05 :D

However, it dosent appear my ram is bad, it just hates my cpu/mobo combo. Heh : (

I am running memtest86 on it on my other rig to make sure though, so far no problems at all. The ram will be going up for sale : (
Maybe take a step back in BIOS rev?

GlowStick
06-26-05, 02:19 PM
Maybe take a step back in BIOS rev?
Hm, well the one the board shiped with was pritty old. However DFi has a TON of bios's some are even designed for a certin setup or memory. I may try one out but am kinda weary about useing stuff like that.

nippyjun
06-27-05, 09:26 AM
GlowStick: Was the fact that your 7800gtx's had different bios revisions a problem, or was it just the memory?

GlowStick
06-27-05, 02:47 PM
GlowStick: Was the fact that your 7800gtx's had different bios revisions a problem, or was it just the memory?
All of the above : )

After i got my system stable (at 2ghz :thumbdwn: ) i had time to look at the cards, flashed the card with the older bios to the new one and all is well!

nippyjun
06-27-05, 04:35 PM
Glowstick:

Which flash program did you use? The one from mvktech? They have a new one to flash sli setups.

Would you mind posting your newer bios? And could you list the exact steps to do the flash with the flash program that you used.
Thanks.

BrianG
06-27-05, 04:46 PM
Hm, well the one the board shiped with was pritty old. However DFi has a TON of bios's some are even designed for a certin setup or memory. I may try one out but am kinda weary about useing stuff like that.
A friend of mine gave me a piece of advice. When flashing a mobo, always download the latest version of the Flash program (should be AWDFlash) from the mobo's support site. Otherwise, fear not.

jAkUp
06-27-05, 05:04 PM
A ton of BIOS's? Where? I only see the latest BIOS on DFI's site.

GlowStick
06-27-05, 06:48 PM
Glowstick:

Which flash program did you use? The one from mvktech? They have a new one to flash sli setups.

Would you mind posting your newer bios? And could you list the exact steps to do the flash with the flash program that you used.
Thanks.
I used nvflash, and followed the buide at mvktech witch is very nice btw! Unfortuantly I lost the bios files after windows 'died' when i was trying to get my system stable : (

http://www.mvktech.net/content/view/15/37/

Use method 3

a:nvlfash -4 -5 -6 file.rom [Enter]

A friend of mine gave me a piece of advice. When flashing a mobo, always download the latest version of the Flash program (should be AWDFlash) from the mobo's support site. Otherwise, fear not.
Aye, the cool thing about DFi bios's is they usually are floppy images that 'autoexec' so everything is taken care of!

A ton of BIOS's? Where? I only see the latest BIOS on DFI's site.
Heh, DFi's site is no good, aparnetly there are custom bios's for diffrent types of ram out there on the net!!!

http://www.dfi-bios.tk/ is one of them, yea kinda risky downloading from from fourms or something but actually its really good. With that bios i can pass MemTest86 all day, but still cant boot windows. No clue on it!

However, I think i found my excuse to go 2Gig :cool: