PDA

View Full Version : Is this a fluke?

CaptNKILL
06-25-05, 01:21 AM
Ok, I was just playing some Battlefield 2 a few hours ago and I noticed some hitching that didnt seem lag or memory related, so i bumped my CPU clock down about 80Mhz (from 289Mhz fsb to 280). At that clock, my memory was running pretty slow because of the divider, so I decided to try the next highest divider. To my surprise, it works. And what really blew me away was that I didnt calculate it correctly and its running significantly faster than I thought.

Get this, my RAM is running at 230Mhz (460Mhz DDR) at 2.5-4-4-7 and Im using 2 unmatched sticks of Corsair Value PC-3200 in Dual Channel. I have the DDR voltage at 2.7v. Is this ram SUPPOSED to clock this high? Whats crazy is, my system is now Prime95 stable as well (had it going for about 2 hours without a hitch)! When I first got this CPU I couldnt get it prime stable at 2Ghz... now Im at 2520Mhz with my ram significantly overclocked and its 100% stable. Im guessing the CPU\heatsink\thermal compound might have just needed to burn in for a while... but the ram situation just boggles my mind.

Has anyone else had great luck with Corsair Value ram? Im soooo happy with my system right now. Ive got the memory bottleneck pretty much taken care of (up to roughly 5300Mbs\sec at 2T... which is fantastic), Battlefield 2 is running a lot smoother now than it was at 2.6Ghz AND my system is Prime95 stable... what a night! :)

EDIT: Just ran 3dMark 2005 and my CPU score is up to about 5100 from 4400! I guess the test really needs that extra memory bandwidth. Funny thing though, my overall score dropped about 150... no big deal I guess.

EDIT2: Heh, ok... I was running 3dMark with 8xAF enabled, thats why my score was lower. Re-tested (with slightly higher GPU clocks) and my score is now 5408... about 250 points higher than it was last time :)

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=963166

Smokey
06-25-05, 02:50 AM
Sounds great, but just to let you know, Prime Stable is consdered 24hrs ;)

CaptNKILL
06-25-05, 03:38 AM
Sounds great, but just to let you know, Prime Stable is consdered 24hrs ;)
Well, Ive only had one other computer that could run it for an hour without erroring but this one used to error instantly... so now it seems to be working fine. And no way am I letting my computer sit with that crap going for 24 hours. I'll never run anything that intense for that long, so I really doubt I need to put my machine through all that heat on a 90 degree summer day :p

Smokey
06-25-05, 04:46 AM
Don't worry, I don't even do Prime tests :p
As long as my putter is 100% stable for playing games for hours on end, I'm happy :)

CaptNKILL
06-25-05, 10:15 AM
Don't worry, I don't even do Prime tests :p
As long as my putter is 100% stable for playing games for hours on end, I'm happy :)
Same here, I just ran it out of curiosity since I hadnt touched it since the first 2-3 days I had my new system built. What a difference a few weeks makes on stability! Keep that in mind everyone, if your system doesnt seem to overclock to where it should and isnt stable at all... give it time. Obvously bump the clocks down a bit, but over time I think they really do "burn in" even though many will say thats BS.
Mine didnt work in Prime95 at 2ghz, but it works at 2.52Ghz 4 weeks later... I'd call that burning in :)