PDA

View Full Version : 6600 Artifacts - Vertex shaders problem ? Help I'm desperate

FurryPotato
06-25-05, 12:54 PM
Hi,
Been having problems with my new AGP 6600 256mb card. It's new and not been overclocked etc

Getting all sorts of weird artifacts - lines going off into infinity and some trasparent parts of images too.
Seems to be on more modern games such as BF2.

Been running 3DMark03 and it happens loads on the Trolls Lair sequence.

When I switched off Vertex Shaders it renders fine (But very very slow obviously so I can keep that setting)- is this a clue ?

Tried all the usual fixes I've found such as switching to 4x AGP and switching off fast writes etc

Any help would be much apprciated.

Oh, one more strange thing ( to my untrained eye!) - on the graphics card information screen in teh display properties is shows:"Bus: PCI Express 16x" which seems strange on an AGP card?

\Cheers

Dylan

rewt
06-25-05, 01:15 PM
I had a similar problem with my 6800NU. When I stuck the card in I had major artifacts on 3dmark03 and 05. Turned out that the wrong vertex pipeline was disabled from the factory... Luckily I was able to fix it with RivaTuner and now I get no artifacts on a 16x1/5vp configuration (I had to switch the vertex pipelines - i.e. enable pipeline 0 and disable pipeline 1 instead).

FurryPotato
06-25-05, 01:31 PM
Sounds interesting.

Still fairly new to Riva tuner. How do I change the vertex pipeline like you did ?

rewt
06-25-05, 01:38 PM
See this article on Unlocking the GeForce 6800 (http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_6800_unlocking/).

BTW what exactly did you mean by "When I switched off Vertex Shaders it renders fine" ? I'm curious how did you actually switch them off?

FurryPotato
06-25-05, 01:41 PM
I used rivatuner to change the DirectX settings to force disabling of Vertex Shaders.

I also in 3DMark02 set the option' Force software vertex shaders'

I'll check out that link you gave, thanks.

FurryPotato
06-25-05, 02:20 PM
Managed to find the correct bits of rivatuner but no luck.
The 6800 has some pixel and vertex pipelines disabled anyway so it's possible to enable them.

The 6600 doesnt have any pipelines disabled in factory so I couldnt do anything.

As far as I could see all it allowed me to do wad disable anyof the 3 vertex shader pipelines on my card.

So still no success. Guess it will be time to return the card unless I get any more ideas.....

Cheers

Dylan

zoomy942
06-25-05, 03:02 PM
what temps are you at?

Gentle
06-25-05, 11:45 PM
It is sometimes required to uninstall and then reinstall the motherboard GART drivers for the AGP bus.

Gentle