PDA

View Full Version : Can you say 100 degrees Celsius on SLI?

dandano
06-25-05, 08:46 PM
I have decided that I must have some kind of problem with my SLI rig. I now routinely get gpu 1 over 100 when running games like Battlefield 2. From what I've seen on other forums, this is 20 over what it should be. Right now I'm running the 77.30 drivers that came with BF2, but I'll be swtiching to the newest ones later today. I don't expect that to change anything though.

So what could be the problem? Is there a chance that there isnt any thermal compound between the gpu and the heatsink? Right now, I am on the desktop, and the gpu 1 temp is 88 C. And gpu 2 temp is 70 C. The room temp is normal room temp (68 Fahrenheit, even under the desk). My case has plenty of fans. It even has a puller fan over the pci-e slots exhausting out the back.

Any help, suggestions or questions on this issue are welcome.

danh

ChrisRay
06-25-05, 08:48 PM
Just make sure no hot heat from other components is being blowed on them. My 6800GT SLI setup had similar temps when a fan was pushing hot air from the hard drives to my GPUS.

SH64
06-25-05, 08:57 PM
Similar problem here .. i did reach the 100C on my dual 6800GTs when i used my new case. although its a super tower i had to modify it with some cooling fans to help reduce the temps to something like 90C.
88/70C in 2D is too much! even in my hot room i get 65C at idel.
checking the thermal compund in the GPU might be helpfull.

dandano
06-26-05, 11:39 PM
Just make sure no hot heat from other components is being blowed on them. My 6800GT SLI setup had similar temps when a fan was pushing hot air from the hard drives to my GPUS.

I think you hit the nail on the head there, ChrisRay. After moving the hd from in back of the fan to above the floppy drive (and putting a blower fan directed at the graphics cards), I've gotten temps down to 71 and 64 degrees C at idle. Even System temp is down to 38 from 44.

danh

Vagrant Zero
06-27-05, 01:46 AM
Well my SINGLE STOCK GT was idling at 70C+ and loading at over a 110C. Found the problem. Dust bunny the size of Anna Nicole Smith's breasts smack dab in the the heatsink beneath the actual fan unit. Temps now down to 50C. Of course I've had this GT for over a year...but still...might want to check out your dust conditions.

GlowStick
06-27-05, 02:07 AM
Im getting about 90c on gpu1 after about 5 stright hours of gameing wiht a closed case.

No artifacts or anything, so i figure since I have a bfg lifetime warrenty, meh.

However, after doing some testing i found that haveing a low speed fan blowing air at the gpu fan it lowerd my temps by about 15c. I may cut a hole and mount a fan. But i also want to do something like the 1U racks and isolate my gpus togehter, have one intake and exhaust isolated by plastic :D

dandano
06-27-05, 03:42 AM
Yeah, well GlowStick, you have a 7800GTX, so your info doesn't help me, mister high-and-mighty brand new gpu.

I'm not bitter. I'm not.

meh.

;)

Ruined
06-27-05, 03:51 AM
I would think a case with a side mounted fan near the graphics card like the Antec AMG660 would be ideal for SLI.

Kojiro
06-27-05, 04:04 AM

Hard drives don't get that hot. Cooling manufactures are just cashing in on the cooling craze. I have salvaged 2 segate hard drives from old computers made in around 2000 and 2001. They had it incased in a rubber molding of some sort, that fit the hard drive like a glove, It had all the hard drive specs and Jumper layout on it, I wish i could post pics but i don't have them availible. I trashed one othe ruber things, since i gave one hard drive away to a friend who thought it was stupid looking. But still got the second one.

The funny thing was bak in 2000, heat was not realy an issue. Shock protection was a major issue back then, thus the ruber glove. now that people don't care about shock protection no more, they don't do that anymore. But a newer more profitable craze about keeping things cool has arised. :rolleyes2