PDA

View Full Version : Always use surge protection or uninterruptable power

ricercar
06-26-05, 02:35 AM
Let this be a word to the wise. You may not realize it, but you need surge protectors on your computer gear. Even if you live away from lightning and have clean power, your computers need protection.

I never replaced my UPS when it died last November. So now I pay dearly, by spending a week troubleshooting and replacing components on three computers that were brought down by a power surge. Near as I can figure, my home office suffered the power surge when I reset a circuit breaker in the kitchen, for a microwave. Three computers just stopped booting, and the hard disk on one never came back up. Disk controllers, CPUs, and hard drives across the three machines all have intermittent failures now, and were no longer dependable. My spouse lost schoolwork because I had backed her stuff up on only the three systems, but not my fourth system. Who would have thunk one accident could take out three redundant data stores?

Never again will I permit this to happen. I even put off my SLI upgrade this week to buy a UPS with surge protection.

Don't be like me! Protect your surges!

muaddib
06-26-05, 02:59 AM
Ofcourse... I just came aware of this issue recently. I'm buying a APC Smart-UPS 1500VA UPS (Enough for atleast 10 generations :P) w/ 3 yr warranty. I backup the family pictures, I don't want these memories to wash away because of a stuipid black-out, not to mention the hardare damages..

Lfctony
06-26-05, 03:51 AM
After last week when the power went down 3 times, I got a UPS for my system. I had a surge protector, but power cuts cause corrupted Windows as well, so after I formatted my PC on Saturday, I went and got a 700VA one.

Sovereignxp
06-26-05, 02:39 PM
I would never operate a computer w/o good surge-battery backup protection.

For my rig I found a sweet battery backup that has a damn good price.

It is the APC Back UPS BX 1000, 1000VA (600 Watt Max Load).

It comes with surge protection, voltage regulation (some battery backups don't have this feature) and with my setup I get about 21min of uptime!

That's pretty good for a power hungry rig.

For a good deal on this APC unit you can check out here...

http://www.officemax.com/max/solutions/product/prodBlock.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&expansionOID=-536896233&prodBlockOID=537112989

or your Local Office Max. :thumbsup:

SH64
06-26-05, 03:55 PM
Sorry for your trouble dude & thanks for the advice!

muaddib
06-26-05, 05:01 PM
I got APC's flagship for PC's. APC SUA1500VA. It's amazing, and rock solid. Even mother nature can't bug this beast a bit. Yes, it costs an arm and leg... but it's damn worth it.

Sazar
06-26-05, 07:13 PM
You typically need to replace the surge protector every coupla years or so as well. After all the hits it takes during the course of the year, it runs out of protective capacity. Best to stay up to speed and protect your expensive toys :D

ninelven
06-27-05, 01:37 AM
Or buy a brickwall (http://www.brickwall.com).

ricercar
06-27-05, 01:51 AM
That's right; I had forgotten. Surge protectors lose effectiveness from microsurges. I heard you should trust a surge protector for no more than three years.

muaddib
06-27-05, 06:07 AM
Well, I've heard you don't need to replace the UPS ITSELF... It's only the battery that getting older. (?)

Riptide
06-27-05, 09:19 AM
Ouch that's some BS luck IMO. I see machines go years at work with no problems and they are on nothing but surge suppresors. I use an APC Back UPS Pro 650 for my main computer. The other one is on a surge suppressor only.

Marcos
06-27-05, 02:49 PM
morons like me play WoW in lightning storms unprotected ;)

gmontem
06-27-05, 06:59 PM

It comes with surge protection, voltage regulation (some battery backups don't have this feature) and with my setup I get about 21min of uptime!
I don't know about the particular model you're using but it should also be noted that many UPS with voltage regulation will regulate the voltage only when it's using the battery.

Tr1cK
06-27-05, 10:16 PM
Surge protectors are junk IMO. I have lost equipment through a like new surge protector. I will only use a quality UPS with full-time voltage regulation on my stuff now.

gram_vaz
06-27-05, 10:21 PM
Surge protectors are junk IMO. I have lost equipment through a like new surge protector. I will only use a quality UPS with full-time voltage regulation on my stuff now.
i should point out that no surge protector is invincible. surge protectors stop surges by creating a gap. in case of a massive surge such as from a direct lightning strike the electrical surge will just jump the gap and all your stuff will still get fried. only way to be completely protected is to unplug everything from your outlets when there is a thunderstorm.

and yea, i have a apc ups. has been helpful in black outs and for when we're using the electrical lawnmower that is powered by plugging into an outlet and it messes with the house electrical system causing electrical noise.

lumpyhed
06-30-05, 03:16 PM
I have two UPS in my house. It seems foolish spending all those k's only to hook it all up to an overloaded socket ;)

muaddib
06-30-05, 06:30 PM
After last week when the power went down 3 times, I got a UPS for my system. I had a surge protector, but power cuts cause corrupted Windows as well, so after I formatted my PC on Saturday, I went and got a 700VA one.

Does it hold your system well? W output of the UPS is roughly the total amout of VA multiplied by 0.6. 700VA x 0.6 = 420W and according to your specs it's isn't enough.

Do you think it was worth getting a 1500VA? Don't forget I'm backuping a Z-5500 speaker system and my 2405FPW monitor, and I wanted it to be futureproof for atleast 3 PSU's ahead.

gram_vaz
06-30-05, 06:38 PM
^ anything 500va and up should give you enough time. my system is on a 500va ups and i get 11minutes of power which is more than enough time to save work and properly shut down the system. my system is on a 430w antec truepower. cable modem is also connected to ups. monitor samsung 172x lcd is also connected to ups. if you have a crt which is more power hungry it would cut down how much time you can ride on your ups.

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/5793/untitled6nd.jpg

aaahhh52
07-01-05, 12:50 PM
I would never operate a computer w/o good surge-battery backup protection.

For my rig I found a sweet battery backup that has a damn good price.

That's pretty good for a power hungry rig.

For a good deal on this APC unit you can check out here...

http://www.officemax.com/max/solutions/product/prodBlock.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&expansionOID=-536896233&prodBlockOID=537112989

or your Local Office Max. :thumbsup:
Got that same UPS, its awesome :)

saturnotaku
07-01-05, 01:03 PM
Do you think it was worth getting a 1500VA? Don't forget I'm backuping a Z-5500 speaker system and my 2405FPW monitor, and I wanted it to be futureproof for atleast 3 PSU's ahead.

You should buy whatever system will give you the most peace of mind. If you think it's 1500VA, then go for it. :)