PDA

View Full Version : question about directx9 and det next week

Gator
12-17-02, 07:53 AM
So I hear DirectX9 will officially be available next week. My question is will the Detonators have a new version that takes advantage of DX9? And can a GF4 even make good use of DX9 anyway, or will only R9500/R9700 benefit?

Can I expect to sdee higher FPS in UT2k3? 3dmark? Any other benefits?

b5fan
12-17-02, 12:17 PM
hi,
Ive tried direct x 9 beta RC 0 and its been stable and not really seen any speed increase in fps besides a odd 1 or 2 in some games.

UT was a little smoother and slightly better looking graphics but that was a combo of new 41.09 official drivers improved a bit more and direct x 9 improved very slightly.

UT 2003 not really noticed any difference.

So far not seen any difference q3 none

it was same with direct x 8 beta, tried official and i did get a bit more speed but only a few fps in direct 3d games.
But main thing that will be sorted is the AMD and winxp problem as that was fixed in sp1 and it wont be in direct x 9 for sure.

Mark_fox
12-17-02, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Gator
So I hear DirectX9 will officially be available next week. My question is will the Detonators have a new version that takes advantage of DX9? And can a GF4 even make good use of DX9 anyway, or will only R9500/R9700 benefit?

Can I expect to sdee higher FPS in UT2k3? 3dmark? Any other benefits?

Yes, there will be a DX9 detonators released soon perhaps but Nvidia PR don't want to say when...

Crippler
12-17-02, 03:36 PM
It would make sense for them to release optimized drivers for direct x9.

For both the Geforce Cards and Nforce Boards.

SavagePaladin
12-17-02, 04:10 PM
The 40s already support directx 9

Renzo
12-20-02, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by SavagePaladin
The 40s already support directx 9
And still dx9 diagnostics show "DDI version 8" instead of 9.

SavagePaladin
12-20-02, 10:54 AM
that means absolutely nothing to me

I admit to possibly having been sidetracked by the det40 features bulletin. And yet, it still means nothing to me.

saturnotaku
12-20-02, 11:51 AM
I don't think any part of the GeForce4 is DX9 ready so I'm not too sure any new drivers + the DX9 runtime will make much of a difference at all.

Mark_fox
12-20-02, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Renzo
And still dx9 diagnostics show "DDI version 8" instead of 9.

Yep, so at the moment 41.09 are still dx8.1 drivers = but now that dx9 final is out - nvidia should release dx9 drivers soon...

digitalwanderer
12-20-02, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Mark_fox
Yep, so at the moment 41.09 are still dx8.1 drivers = but now that dx9 final is out - nvidia should release dx9 drivers soon...

I AM TIRED OF HEARING THE WORD "SOON" BANDIED ABOUT SO!!!!!

Hey Mark, how's tricks for ya on new release Friday? :) So you don't have any word about when either? Damn, they ARE being super-secret about this one....do you know if this is the big Det 5 release?

Mark_fox
12-20-02, 01:25 PM
yes - believe me - its no det5 - lol - that's all I know for sure.

oh and, it might not be soon afterall, just something I heard just now makes me think maybe when gf fx is out, but I don't know for sure...

digitalwanderer
12-20-02, 04:56 PM
If'n you're refering to the story going around about this "final" version of DX9 not really being the final version of DX9 but a really late beta M$ rushed out the door in a deal with ATI to have it out before x-mas, and that's the reason that there ain't gonna be no new nVidia betas for a while; well then I agree with ya. The nVidia betas are being built for the ACTUAL final DX9 which will have actual driver support in it. (This "final DX9" released today actually has very little in the way of driver support on the ATI side of things, for those of you who don't follow both companies. ;) )

I dunno, I still got check out all those old "new" sets that appeared on nVidia's server last night. 28.80? 28.84? What is up with that?

StealthHawk
12-20-02, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
I don't think any part of the GeForce4 is DX9 ready so I'm not too sure any new drivers + the DX9 runtime will make much of a difference at all.

what about occulusion culling?

Renzo
12-21-02, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
If'n you're refering to the story going around about this "final" version of DX9 not really being the final version of DX9 but a really late beta M$ rushed out the door in a deal with ATI to have it out before x-mas, and that's the reason that there ain't gonna be no new nVidia betas for a while; well then I agree with ya.
Yeah, another Inquirer "article of truth". As we all know, Inquirer has been right on.... ehm... nothing ?:D

The article says DX9 wouldn't be even RC0.... lol $ released DX9 RC0 long time ago (some of you might remember) and RC1 afterwards.

Besides, very few people have been complaining about instabilities or incompatibilities even with DX9 betas or those release candidates.

Mark_fox
12-21-02, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
If'n you're refering to the story going around about this "final" version of DX9 not really being the final version of DX9 but a really late beta M$ rushed out the door in a deal with ATI to have it out before x-mas, and that's the reason that there ain't gonna be no new nVidia betas for a while; well then I agree with ya.

Actually, I might as well be honest about this, its what nVidia PR told me - no gf fx reviews this month and no dx9 drivers this month - all "early next year". Sorry :(

digitalwanderer
12-21-02, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Mark_fox
Actually, I might as well be honest about this, its what nVidia PR told me - no gf fx reviews this month and no dx9 drivers this month - all "early next year". Sorry :(

Thanks Mark, it ain't the happiest news but it makes a lot of sense and will save me some hunting time. I can't wait to see what the next round of drivers is like! :)

Happy holidays all if'n I don't see y'all before then! :D