PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo earnings...

msxyz
06-27-05, 06:27 AM
I searched through the past 4 pages of this forums but I don't have seen these articles mentioned, so here I go:

http://nintendoinsider.com/site/EEEFylpkElFffmiBlr.php
http://nintendoinsider.com/site/EEEZuAypVuTuOJPzyb.php
http://www.buzzcut.com/article.php?story=2005053122342247

It's a series of three articles describing the financial status of Nintendo... and there are a few surprises. The author seems a little pro Nintendo but he raises some interesting points.

People predicting the demise of Nintendo should better look at those figures!

killahsin
06-27-05, 07:46 AM
thats pretty interesting stuff there, especially the total profit of nintendo which is games vs the total profit of sony including their electronics section. Interesting indeed.

Zelda_fan
06-27-05, 08:40 AM
I'm not too worried about Nintendo going out of business any time soon. They've basically got the handheld market on a lockdown, and they aren't doing that bad in the console market. They don't have the sales #'s that sony and MS do, but you have to remember their units are much cheaper so they make more profit per sale.

However, Nintendo's recent statements about not supporting 1080i has me worried. I have a bad feeling revolution is gonna get owned by the X360 and this is comming for a nintendo fanboi.

hazindu
06-27-05, 09:20 AM
The simple truth is that the North American market doesn't need Nintendo, and Nintendo doesn't need the North American market. Their consoles and portables are still very popular in Japan and even in Europe, but they have been fading from gamers good grace in the US since the N64 days.

msxyz
06-27-05, 09:47 AM
It's no misthery that what's keeping afloat Sony in the last few years is the videogame business. Sony profits from the console market are huge and they compensate the losses of other divisions. Microsoft is in no better position as it can afford to sell Xboxes only because it's backed by the huge earnings of the software division sales.

Nintendo, on the other side, is purely a gaming company and it's very effective in its strategy. They're no longer the giant they used to be back in the NES/SNES era but their revenues are still impressive.

There is a lot of bad talks about Revolution these days and lot of speculation even from the press. Personally, I don't see HDTV as a selling point but I'm from Europe which already benefits from the higher res PAL system (576 lines) so my view of the situation is partial. The GC situation in Europe is not better than in the US market. Xbox and GC sales are quite weak each scoring about 5M units sold versus 30M of PS2. Yeah, Sony controls an impressive 75% of the EU console market.

People buying Nintendo want mostly Nintendo games, even if there were a few AAA titles for the GC developed by third parties. The situation in the hand held market is somehow different. The DS is nothing but a curious experiment but it sill sells because the only available alternative is the PSP, which is expensive, has a low endurance (2-3hrs) and it lacks of quality titles.

If I were Nintendo I would concentrate on developing a strong Gameboy successor with state of the art hardware and excellent display (and long endurance, too: at least 10 hrs). Meanwhile I'll keep a foot in the home entertainment systems arena because differentiating business is always good. They demonstrated that they can sell consoles without loosing money on them (while Sony and Microsoft don't) and they should continue to pursue this road.

Zelda_fan
06-27-05, 10:20 AM
The simple truth is that the North American market doesn't need Nintendo, and Nintendo doesn't need the North American market. Their consoles and portables are still very popular in Japan and even in Europe, but they have been fading from gamers good grace in the US since the N64 days.

ummm perhaps you haven't seen the sales figures from the GBA and DS. Gamecube hasn't done that great, but their handhelds own the market here in the US. Even if you think the PSP is totally superior, the DS is beating it on sales.

ENU291
06-27-05, 12:28 PM
There are 2 groups of people that buy video game systems in the US. You have the younger crowd (3-14) and the older teenage/adult crowd (15-36). Nintendo simply dominates the 3-14 age group. When we get to the 15-36 age group Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are fighting for market share. You can easily see that by keeping there hardware cheap and focusing on the younger audience Nintendo is keeping there business highly profitable. The problem is that we (the adult audience) want Nintendo to focus on what we want to play. Unfortunately they seem to have no plans on doing any such thing.

Zelda_fan
06-27-05, 12:40 PM
There are 2 groups of people that buy video game systems in the US. You have the younger crowd (3-14) and the older teenage/adult crowd (15-36). Nintendo simply dominates the 3-14 age group. When we get to the 15-36 age group Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are fighting for market share. You can easily see that by keeping there hardware cheap and focusing on the younger audience Nintendo is keeping there business highly profitable. The problem is that we (the adult audience) want Nintendo to focus on what we want to play. Unfortunately they seem to have to plans on doing any such thing.

I don't think Nintendo is ever going to focus on adult gamers. One, I nintendo has a policy not to allow games on their systems with objectionable content. I don't think you'll ever see GTA for a nintendo system, and to be honest this is a smart move on keeping the kid audience. If a parent buys a nintendo system, he can be assured that his kid isn't going to be able to play anything innappropriate. I think eventually Nintendo is going to let 3rd party developers bring more "adult oriented" games to their systems, but I don't ever think you'll see a M rating on one of nintendo's first party titles.

saturnotaku
06-27-05, 12:54 PM
I don't think Nintendo is ever going to focus on adult gamers. One, I nintendo has a policy not to allow games on their systems with objectionable content. I think eventually Nintendo is going to let 3rd party developers bring more "adult oriented" games to their systems, but I don't ever think you'll see a M rating on one of nintendo's first party titles.

They already have - Resident Evil 4 is one of them. I do agree with you, though, that you'll probably never see a game like that with the Nintendo badge on them.

|MaguS|
06-27-05, 01:01 PM
I don't think Nintendo is ever going to focus on adult gamers. One, I nintendo has a policy not to allow games on their systems with objectionable content. I don't think you'll ever see GTA for a nintendo system, and to be honest this is a smart move on keeping the kid audience. If a parent buys a nintendo system, he can be assured that his kid isn't going to be able to play anything innappropriate. I think eventually Nintendo is going to let 3rd party developers bring more "adult oriented" games to their systems, but I don't ever think you'll see a M rating on one of nintendo's first party titles.

BMX XXX was released on the Xbox and Gamecube completly uncensored, Sony did not allow them to release it with Nudity, Racial Slurs and Drug Refrences on the Ps2 (still contained the swearing).

hazindu
06-29-05, 11:02 AM
ummm perhaps you haven't seen the sales figures from the GBA and DS. Gamecube hasn't done that great, but their handhelds own the market here in the US. Even if you think the PSP is totally superior, the DS is beating it on sales.
For some reason I think of home game consoles and portables as two different markets, and my comments were geared towards the home console. I am well aware of Nintendo's world wide dominance in the handheld market.

btw, I never made the slightest hint of an implication that I think psp is supierior to ds or vice versa. I unfortunately havent had a chance to use either one.

There are 2 groups of people that buy video game systems in the US. You have the younger crowd (3-14) and the older teenage/adult crowd (15-36). .....paraphrasing to save space...... Unfortunately they seem to have no plans on doing any such thing

I can agree with that, and I think Resident Evil and the like are exceptions, not the rules.

Vagrant Zero
06-29-05, 05:27 PM
All I know is I hope to god RE will move back to sony, I don't relish the thought of buying a revolution just for RE6.

Mr. Hunt
06-29-05, 05:35 PM
All I know is I hope to god RE will move back to sony, I don't relish the thought of buying a revolution just for RE6.

Not only that... but it would be much smarter on Capcoms part since sales would be much higher... the REmake should have sold really well... but since not THAT many people own the gamecube it is a bit limited.