PDA

View Full Version : XBox 360 may end up having a HD-DVD Drive?

Pages : [1] 2

LiquidX
06-27-05, 10:43 AM
http://www.forbes.com/home/feeds/afx/2005/06/27/afx2111849.html

Well it looks like big deal but MS as said the 360 will have a standard drive so you have to wonder if they have changed there minds or have something cooking with this latest news. It was known they would back the technology but why help make HD DVD players and not put it in your new console? All about cost I guess because I cant imagine 50gb disks being cheap or really practical for games at all.

|MaguS|
06-27-05, 10:46 AM
Nah 360 wont have HD-DVD, MS is trying to go the cheaper route for the console. This deal is probably due to the fact that HD-DVD uses a MS Codec.

six_storm
06-27-05, 11:02 AM
Has anyone actually seen a HD DVD movie? Is there going to be that big of a difference? I don't own a HDTV yet so I don't think that the HD-DVD era will be in full swing until the next gen consoles (after the 360 and PS3) are close to release.

Riptide
06-27-05, 11:06 AM
I can tell you there's a very noticeable difference between say a standard DVD and a 720p/1080i movie when I view them on my LCD.

msxyz
06-27-05, 11:07 AM
It might be a smart move. Not that I believe BluRay of HD-DVD will become all that widespread in the next few years (I predict that consumers will be reluctand to abandon the still young DVD format).

But from a strict marketing point of view it would be a nice answer to Sony FUD campaign.

PS: The Forbes article mention only players. I don't think M$ will make such a late minute change

evilchris
06-27-05, 12:16 PM
Has anyone actually seen a HD DVD movie? Is there going to be that big of a difference? I don't own a HDTV yet so I don't think that the HD-DVD era will be in full swing until the next gen consoles (after the 360 and PS3) are close to release.

HD is 4 times the resolution of DVD if that helps. If I watch a show on DiscoveryHD, then watch a DVD, at first i think I'm watching a VHS tape.

gmontem
06-27-05, 01:18 PM
PS: The Forbes article mention only players. I don't think M$ will make such a late minute change
I think it's still up in the air considering the near last minute annoucement of backwards compatibility with most XBox titles.

Bad_Boy
06-27-05, 02:29 PM
/me looks forward to all the guys who downplayed hd/bluray for the ps3 to start praising this possibility.

LiquidX
06-27-05, 03:08 PM
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8591/Xbox-360-Might-Incorporate-HD-DVD-Drive/

Gates says the initial 360's will have a standard DVD drive but future ones may incorporate it.

/me looks forward to all the guys who downplayed hd/bluray for the ps3 to start praising this possibility.

I think its a good idea to leave off HD drives in 360's case if it will bring down cost being that I dont see 360 benefitting from it for sometime. HD and Blue-Ray I doubt will be cheap and may only benifit movie studios who would save costs by releaseing major box sets on one single disk to save production costs. Also I am pretty sure publishers will rather release a game on 2 regular DVD-9 DVD's instead of one of these new formats which will most likely be more expensive. Its all about cost but Sony on the other hand has good reason to stick with Blue-Ray and have it ship with PS3 being that it is partly there technology.

|MaguS|
06-27-05, 03:23 PM
If MS does start off with normal DVDs and then move to HD-DVDs in a revision it will only be to support movie playback, games will not take advantage of it. If games do take advantage of it they would be shooting themselves in the foot since people who adopted the console early would be left out.

mcq3000
06-27-05, 08:48 PM
I thought HD-DVD was just a Dual Layer DVD encoded in wmv format, am I mising something here? wouldnt they just need to update the xbox software to play a dvd movie encoded in a wmv format?

Mr. Hunt
06-27-05, 10:08 PM
If MS does start off with normal DVDs and then move to HD-DVDs in a revision it will only be to support movie playback, games will not take advantage of it. If games do take advantage of it they would be shooting themselves in the foot since people who adopted the console early would be left out.

I was thinking the same thing... if they did it for games... they would seriously hurt themselves bad... unless they let you send in your "old" one to get the "new" one... like that would happen lol.

AthlonXP1800
06-27-05, 11:06 PM

Indeed, if that will happen, it very bad move for Microsoft and probably will kill Xbox 360, 10 million people could get PS3 instead because it still use Blu-ray format. Sega met the fate with Sega 32X, when Sega launched Mega CD add on for Megadrive to play CD games and then 1 year later Sega launched Sega 32X add on for Mega CD but it didnt used CD, it used cartridges. Sega 32X was the most expensive launch failure in Sega history.

gmontem
06-27-05, 11:19 PM
How much did the first DVD players cost? Sony's supporters might frown upon the PS3 eating up sales of their first Blu-Ray players that could cost about $1k.

evilchris
06-27-05, 11:36 PM
The console player won't be able to compete with a dedicated home unit in the 1k price range. I've never, ever put a DVD movie into my Xbox. I won't in the next gen either. This is what I currently use:

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/DVD3910.pdf

When Blu-Ray or HD makes it, I'll buy the replacement in that price range. The PS3 player and the Xbox player ( if one exists ) will not even come close as DVD playback device for home theater. Take that to the bank =)

AthlonXP1800
06-27-05, 11:36 PM
How much did the first DVD players cost? Sony's supporters might frown upon the PS3 eating up sales of their first Blu-Ray players that could cost about $1k.

The first DVD players cost $3000 and the first Blu-Ray players in 2003 cost $3800. PS3 with built-in Blu-Ray playback and recordable cost just $400. :)

evilchris
06-27-05, 11:39 PM
Are you suggesting that PS3's DVD playback capabilities and circuitry will rival that of high end home theater equipment? I sure hope not...

Comparing DVD players by price is downright retarded and shows a complete lack of understanding of the industry. Do you think Xbox and PS2 have good DVD playback? They are horrible.

That said, what if Blu-Ray does not become the standard?

evilchris
06-27-05, 11:45 PM

I downplayed it, and couldn't care less if Xbox gets it. I'll never put an HD DVD movie in an Xbox 360. It will be played back by whatever Denon puts out in the 1.5k price range.

AthlonXP1800
06-27-05, 11:48 PM
Comparing DVD players by price is downright retarded and shows a complete lack of understanding of the industry. Do you think Xbox and PS2 have good DVD playback? They are horrible.

They horrible??? When I bought PS2 3 years ago, I played DVD movie on PS2 and the image quality and playback is very good compared to 699 DVD players. My niece had 59 DVD player on the next Xmas, I tested the player and found it had worst image quality and poor playback, it no matched I seen on PS2.

evilchris
06-27-05, 11:53 PM
I think you need to compare to a good DVD player. Again, you are just throwing prices around. How about some make/models?

LiquidX
06-28-05, 12:13 AM
I have to disagree with the DVD playback on consoles being horrible. With DVD players I think what matters most is the TV which you watch them on. I consider myself a HT nut and have a very high DVD player but I would be damned if I could tell the difference between my Marantz and PS2. It has alot more features and it is a little better but to say the PS2 DVD playback is horrible I would be lying to myself. The Marantz is on its way out and I am in no rush to get it replaced being that the PS2 is on par with it. It does its job well and only those looking for imperfections are the only ones that will find any.

evilchris
06-28-05, 12:22 AM
I disagree wholeheartedly. To suggest that the market filled with 1k - 5k DVD players is a farce and a $149 PS2 will provide identical playback on a $10k TV is quite a stretch. The player is every bit as important as the display. The higher quality the display, the more obvious the limites of the console DVD playback capability. Crap in, crap out, the old saying. I guess if you have a $200 Wal-Mart 27" TV than a console player is fine.

The differences are glaring and any laymen can see the difference. What you are saying is the equivalent of someone saying HDTV isn't "that much better" than regular old TV.

LiquidX
06-28-05, 12:49 AM
I disagree wholeheartedly. To suggest that the market filled with 1k - 5k DVD players is a farce and a $149 PS2 will provide identical playback on a $10k TV is quite a stretch. The player is every bit as important as the display. The higher quality the display, the more obvious the limites of the console DVD playback capability. Crap in, crap out, the old saying. I guess if you have a $200 Wal-Mart 27" TV than a console player is fine.

The differences are glaring and any laymen can see the difference. What you are saying is the equivalent of someone saying HDTV isn't "that much better" than regular old TV.

5K DVD players for anyone who is not a millionaire is farce IMO and we shouldnt bring those in the equation. Also I am not saying the PS2 is better than any of them but it is a good alternative which is not as horrible like you imply at a fraction of the cost. I payed near $500 for my Marantz on sale and the quality is there but to say I see things I cant with my PS2 is junk. Your basically saying because its more money its better and thats not the case. Many that know about HT equipmentwill tell you You can buy a $1000 TV that look just as good as $5,000 Flat screen TV.

evilchris
06-28-05, 12:55 AM
Well, $1000 TV's are generally CRT HDTV's which do in fact look better than any LCD, DLP, or CRT RPTV's. No argument there.

It's not better because it's more money. It's better because it uses world class engineering, discrete circuits, extremely high rate sampling, unparalled post-processing, and perfect clarity. It isn't about what you CAN see. It's about what you CAN'T see. Such as dithering, bland colors, compression, distortion, artifacts, picture noise, you name it. You probably don't have a TV with the high precision which begins to show these flaws of crap console playback. The biggest complaint from someone who brings home a high quality TV set is " why does my cable TV look like crap, it didn't on my 19" RCA!! ". Crap in, crap out. If you can't see a major difference then I'd say your next upgrade should be your television.

LiquidX
06-28-05, 01:05 AM
Hehe, ok, I will keep that in mind next time I blow $2500 on a TV I researched for months. I get the feeling you work at BestBuy or some other electronic store. :cool: