PDA

View Full Version : Cannot uninstall or install Forceware Drivers

HP Deskjet
06-27-05, 12:12 PM
I'm trying to update the drivers on my WinXP Home OS. The 71.89 drivers I have installed are refusing to allow themselves to be uninstalled. I've included a screenshot to let you see the 2 error dialogue boxes I'm getting.

The 1st dialogue box says:

Uninstall Nvidia Error (2)

"The system cannot find the requested file.

software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall\NVIDIADRIVERS\SubComponents"

The 2nd one says:
Uninstall Nvidia Error (0)

"Action Completed

software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall\NVIDIADRIVERS\SubComponents"

There seems to be a registry key missing for some reason. I can only think that an automated registry clean up has removed this entry. On looking in the registry the key named in the screenshots is not present. If I try to re-install the existing 71.89 drivers over the top of the existing ones the same error dialogue boxes appear and the registry key is still not present.

Does anyone know how I can sort this out without having to re-install the entire OS?

SLippe
06-27-05, 02:06 PM
Try Driver Cleaner Pro and use the NVidia filter.

HP Deskjet
06-27-05, 02:23 PM
Try Driver Cleaner Pro and use the NVidia filter.
I'll give it a try, but will it work without being able to first uninstall the drivers through Add/ Remove programmes? Time will tell. Thanks for the advice.

HP Deskjet
06-27-05, 03:55 PM
Managed to get rid of the older drivers off of the system using Driver Cleaner Pro, I ran it twice just to make sure. The new drivers still will not install the uninstall registry key though. The same 2 error messages appearing on installing the latest drivers (77.72). Looks like I'll have to uninstall using Driver Cleaner Pro every time until I decide to re-install the OS at some point. A workable workaround. Thanks once again for the help.

j0j081
06-27-05, 10:07 PM
If you want you can use the jv16PowerTools trial to remove the dead entry in the start menu.

SLippe
06-28-05, 12:44 AM
Yup, I see a complete format/reinstall of Windows in your future.

HP Deskjet
06-28-05, 11:04 AM
Yup, I see a complete format/reinstall of Windows in your future.

As I only did complete re-install last week I think I'll leave it for a while before doing it again. At least the new nVidia drivers are running without a problem. I give Reg Vac the blame for removing the registry key. Still, if it 'aint too broken why fix it in this case. I can live with a missing nVidia reg key until I decide to re-install the OS.

j0j081
06-29-05, 08:19 PM
As I only did complete re-install last week I think I'll leave it for a while before doing it again. At least the new nVidia drivers are running without a problem. I give Reg Vac the blame for removing the registry key. Still, if it 'aint too broken why fix it in this case. I can live with a missing nVidia reg key until I decide to re-install the OS.
If you only did it last week you might as well do it again now BEFORE you get things tweaked out to your liking.