PDA

View Full Version : 77.x freezes and then unfreezes all games

LiqMat
06-27-05, 01:15 PM
:eek: From the release of BF2 onward has been the downfall of my rig. Call the Waambulance!

I installed 77.30, 77.5 and the latest 77.72.

They all display the same problem on my rig. Any 3D game now freezes every 5-10 minutes for about 10-20 seconds with sound looping and hung and then unhangs and back to normal gameplay. It does not drop to the desktop or BSOD just freezes and then unfreezes after 10-20 seconds like nothing ever happened in between. This of course can mean life and death with online FPS games. Very frustrating. The 71.89 driver does not display this problem on my system, but of course without the new 77.x driver BF2 cannot show all the graphics options like the new shadowing system it uses. At first I thought it was just BF2, but soon realized all my GPU enabled games were doing it like Joint Ops, etc. Anyone else having this issue? I have tried removing my Audigy 2 and using the onboard NVidia sound thinking it might be the audio. Nope. Same problem. Fast Writes are off and nothing overclocked. I have tried multiple BIOS flashes with different BIOS revisions as well. Nuttin!

My rig:

AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 939
Gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP-939 mobo latest F9 BIOS
2GB Mushkin Level 1 Black PC3500 DDR
EVGA 6800 Ultra Extreme Edition 256MB AGP
Creative Audigy 2 Platinum
WD 74GB 10k Raptor SATA HD
Antec 550W PSU

avirox
06-27-05, 02:51 PM
welcome to the wonderous world of nforce3+6800

Check the 51 page thread stickied about it in the geforce 6/7 forums. Peace,

Blott3r
06-27-05, 09:18 PM
I also have the gigabyte g8nsnxp-939 and a geforce 6800 ultra. I was having the same problem with my games, but about 20 minutes ago I uninstalled the GART driversfor nforce, and now my games no longer hang. Please try this and tell me if it works for you.

avirox
06-27-05, 09:23 PM
Uninstalling your GART drivers will make most games run like crap, I highly do not suggest doing this. Try playing around with the 4.40 GART that coems with remixed nforce drivers (guru3d is your friend). NVidia is supposedly working on this problem. Peace,

OWA
06-27-05, 09:27 PM
:eek: From the release of BF2 onward has been the downfall of my rig. Call the Waambulance!

I installed 77.30, 77.5 and the latest 77.72.

They all display the same problem on my rig. Any 3D game now freezes every 5-10 minutes for about 10-20 seconds with sound looping and hung and then unhangs and back to normal gameplay. It does not drop to the desktop or BSOD just freezes and then unfreezes after 10-20 seconds like nothing ever happened in between. This of course can mean life and death with online FPS games. Very frustrating. The 71.89 driver does not display this problem on my system, but of course without the new 77.x driver BF2 cannot show all the graphics options like the new shadowing system it uses. At first I thought it was just BF2, but soon realized all my GPU enabled games were doing it like Joint Ops, etc. Anyone else having this issue? I have tried removing my Audigy 2 and using the onboard NVidia sound thinking it might be the audio. Nope. Same problem. Fast Writes are off and nothing overclocked. I have tried multiple BIOS flashes with different BIOS revisions as well. Nuttin!

My rig:

AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 939
Antec 550W PSU

The only time I've gotten that is when overclocking too far. FW being on can cause it also but you've already mentioned that you're not overclocking and have fastwrites off. Maybe try reinstalling your nforce drivers (or at least the GART driver), directX9, etc. might help. You could also try downclocking the GPU to see if that helps or maybe run without the side cover on to make sure it's not heat issue. Since it works with 71.89 though it's probably not a heat issue.

OWA
06-27-05, 09:28 PM
Oh, just remembered one more thing. For me, I had to set my 2D/3D speeds the same or else I had problems.

LiqMat
06-27-05, 09:40 PM
Well, I finally figured out the problem and I am more confused than before.
I tried same clock to clock ratings on the mem and core with coolbits and that did not help because the bios was already set that way.

I tried the beta nForce drivers. Nope. Nuttin.

Tried uping the volts on sys mem and AGP slot. Still nothing.

The only other recent change to my rig was moving my Logitech MX510 optical mouse from the PS/2 slot with a USB to PS/2 adapter to a USB port on the Gigabyte mobo. So I moved it back from the USB port direct and hooked it back up to the PS/2 port using the USB to PS/2 adapter. No more freezes in BF2 with the 77.72 driver. I have no clue as to why. This could just be an isolated case with my rig or an issue with this particular Gigabyte mobo. Do not know, but this has to be the oddest solution I have come up with yet. I have tested for hours now in BF2 and it would have easily locked multiple times by now.

Very strange indeed!

AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 939
Antec 550W PSU

Blott3r
06-27-05, 09:42 PM
You're right about it making games run like crap if you uninstall the GART driver. Guess I'll be trying some different GART drivers. I'll post here if the others work.

OWA
06-27-05, 09:51 PM
Well, I finally figured out the problem and I am more confused than before.
I tried same clock to clock ratings on the mem and core with coolbits and that did not help because the bios was already set that way.

I tried the beta nForce drivers. Nope. Nuttin.

Tried uping the volts on sys mem and AGP slot. Still nothing.

The only other recent change to my rig was moving my Logitech MX510 optical mouse from the PS/2 slot with a USB to PS/2 adapter to a USB port on the Gigabyte mobo. So I moved it back from the USB port direct and hooked it back up to the PS/2 port using the USB to PS/2 adapter. No more freezes in BF2 with the 77.72 driver. I have no clue as to why. This could just be an isolated case with my rig or an issue with this particular Gigabyte mobo. Do not know, but this has to be the oddest solution I have come up with yet. I have tested for hours now in BF2 and it would have easily locked multiple times by now.

Very strange indeed!

AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 939
Antec 550W PSU
Wow, that's strange indeed. I wonder why that would matter.

LiqMat
06-27-05, 10:02 PM
Well, I had 3 devices hooked up to the USB ports. Logitech MX510 optical mouse, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick and a light up LED mouse pad. I know my USB ports had plenty of power left by checking device manager's USB properties. I'm guessing either the mobo, the fact I do not use Logitech's drivers just OS base drivers (to keep overhead down) or one those devices do not play well with another.

It's hard to tell and every rig is so unique.

You learn something every day!

Blott3r
06-27-05, 10:03 PM
My update

As I stated, I have the same motherboard and a bfgtech 6800 ultra OC. I switched to the GART 4.40 drivers in the 6.14 nforce beta drivers. I only played for a few minutes, but it seems to have fixed the problem. I'm also running a logitech mx518 on a ps/2 adapter. In the few minutes I played, the game would have hung at least 5-6 times. Not even a stutter now. 4.40 FTW!!

OWA
06-27-05, 10:04 PM
Congrats on getting the issues solved guys.

LiqMat
06-27-05, 10:12 PM
Oh yes. I had already installed the v6.37 nForce chipset drivers which has the 4.40 GART. Still had the freezes although not as often. The mouse did it for me. Probably a combination of things did it for me, but everything is happy smiles now. Glad you worked it out as well!!!

You gotta wonder why a card freezes when it's overheating. You would think it would melt instead.

Enough of my dry humor.

Good night.

LiqMat
06-27-05, 10:48 PM
Well..

I spoke too soon. Again freezes are happening. I am going to just chalk this up to the NVidia drivers at this point and downgrade to the 71.89 drivers for now. Just turn off a few things in BF2. This is a rough one folks.

Cheers.

j0j081
06-27-05, 11:03 PM
Well..

I spoke too soon. Again freezes are happening. I am going to just chalk this up to the NVidia drivers at this point and downgrade to the 71.89 drivers for now. Just turn off a few things in BF2. This is a rough one folks.

Cheers.
LOL That always happens with problems like these.

Blott3r
06-28-05, 12:46 PM
Still no problems here. I'm going to test BF2 for a few hours today and see if the hanging is truly gone. I'll post an update later.

SH64
06-28-05, 05:08 PM
The issue has been reported to nVIDIA. now they are aware of it & will go under investgation.