PDA

View Full Version : Burn baby burn

aaahhh52
06-27-05, 06:09 PM
Ok so heres my problem, earlier i was browsing the forums listening to music, all of a sudden i start smelling burnt plastic, well that scared me so i looked down at my computer, couldnt see anything but definetly smelled that it was coming from their.

So i unplug it, take it out to the dining room table and examine it, its very very dusty, so i cleaned it and took out about 6 fans that were not needed. I check all the connections everything looks good. Also checked all the hardware. I plug it back in and start it up, well i smell that same smell again, and see a bright glow coming from the bottom of my mobo, and its slighty smoking, i hurry up and unplug it and this is what i see

http://img179.echo.cx/img179/515/wtf0be.th.jpg (http://img179.echo.cx/my.php?image=wtf0be.jpg)
Sorry for the bad pic ill try to get a better one later, but wtf is this, and does my mobo have any chance of recovering? Im scared sh*t less to turn it back on. And it seemed like it was slowly spreading across the pcb. :(

Riptide
06-27-05, 06:30 PM
Stick a fork in it. Hell no would I power that back up. Get yourself a new motherboard dude.

aaahhh52
06-27-05, 06:38 PM
Stick a fork in it. Hell no would I power that back up. Get yourself a new motherboard dude.
Bleh well thats what i was figuring :( least nothing else fried. Thnx

nVidi0t
06-27-05, 07:04 PM
Man that just sucks.. you will definately need a new mobo..

Look on the bright side, it was a good way for it to go. It could be much, MUCH worse.

Spyke
06-27-05, 07:34 PM
That looks like the USB fuse to me, do you have a short in a USB wire anywheres? And did you try not using the USB headers when you power up?

Spyke
06-27-05, 08:19 PM
You could probably pluck that out of there, give it some scraping, and it might be fine, but the USB headers wont be powered anymore. :P

$n][pErMan
06-27-05, 08:44 PM
I say take all your parts out .. then power it up and watch it burn :D

aaahhh52
06-27-05, 09:22 PM
No short as far as i know. It seemed to not want to stop burning once it started, lol i like your idea sniperman. As of right now i just took out all the working hardware. Im gonna just go all the way, my system needs an upgrade anyway, so ill save up paychecks for the next few months and just go the Pci way, with new vid card and everything. But for right now it seems like ill be out of a gaming computer for quite awhile. Glad it wasnt worse.

gram_vaz
06-27-05, 09:40 PM
why not try to see if it still works? today my floppy drive caught fire like that as well. it's a dud now. the molex from the psu that was connected to the floppy drive is completely melted down. i just disconnected the floppy drive and kept on using the pc without even shutting it down. i don't use floppy anyway, usb thumb drive all the way. sure, it's not the same as a part of the mobo but you can still give it a try.

aaahhh52
06-27-05, 10:45 PM
Well i did try it again, and it kept on burning itself i tried it a total of 3 times.

j0j081
06-27-05, 11:14 PM
[pErMan']I say take all your parts out .. then power it up and watch it burn :D
(popcorn)

chaosmaker
06-28-05, 03:57 PM
Is there a stand-off behind that portion of the motherboard?