evilchris
06-27-05, 07:11 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6128136/p-18.html

LiquidX
06-27-05, 07:21 PM
I think he is spot on. Some are going to get hurt though. :D

evilchris
06-27-05, 07:26 PM
There are three people in this very forum that I can apply every single statement to with quotes to support.

six_storm
06-27-05, 07:36 PM
For the most part, I am a Mac fanboy. But hey, most people on here are NV fanboys though.

Mr. Hunt
06-27-05, 07:47 PM
There are three people in this very forum that I can apply every single statement to with quotes to support.

You being one?

Zelda_fan
06-27-05, 07:48 PM
lol everyone is a fanboy of some company.

Edge
06-27-05, 08:44 PM
Ouch, I think they just hit Gamefaqs pretty hard :D

evilchris
06-27-05, 09:51 PM
You being one?

Nope.

hazindu
06-29-05, 11:12 AM
I enjoyed that read. It's nice to see someone at a respected gaming site has the balls to express what a lot of people are thinking.

anzak
06-29-05, 11:44 AM
lol everyone is a fanboy of some company.

I'm an AMD fanboy. Not a blinded fanboy. I prefer AMD, but also see Intel's advantages.

As for graphics cards I'm totally unbias. This is bad because I find my self getting :flame: from both sides at times. :p

MrSavoy
06-29-05, 11:59 AM
That was dead on and some really funny stuff. I think he hit it "spot" on, and god knows we all see this exact type of fanboyism on alot of forums. Good read. :)

ralinn
06-29-05, 12:04 PM
I'm an AMD fanboy. Not a blinded fanboy. I prefer AMD, but also see Intel's advantages.

Isn't this sort of sentance called an oxymoron? :) This makes you not a fanboy of AMD ;)

Vagrant Zero
06-29-05, 05:33 PM

As for graphics cards I'm totally unbias. This is bad because I find my self getting :flame: from both sides at times. :p

Not to sound like an ass or anything but your unbiasim [that's a word now because I said it is] basically made you waste $500 [or time if you made your money back by reselling the card] this generation [if memory serves me right you went ATI then jumped to Nvidia mid-cycle correct?]. If that's one of the "benefits" of not being a fanboy...well, I need to be buy more Nvidia paraphenialla then.

Still [and this is NOT aimed at you], people complaining about Nvidia fanboys on an Nvidia fansite should be clubbed to death by woookie penis.

anzak
06-29-05, 06:12 PM
Not to sound like an ass or anything but your unbiasim [that's a word now because I said it is] basically made you waste $500 [or time if you made your money back by reselling the card] this generation [if memory serves me right you went ATI then jumped to Nvidia mid-cycle correct?]. If that's one of the "benefits" of not being a fanboy...well, I need to be buy more Nvidia paraphenialla then.

Still [and this is NOT aimed at you], people complaining about Nvidia fanboys on an Nvidia fansite should be clubbed to death by woookie penis.

If you must know...

I have done a lot of switching. After my first 6800GT died I wanted to try the X800 series so I replaced it with a X800 pro which was modded to XT. I recently decided to keep this rig until next year and then build a whole new one. IMO the 6800 series is more future proof than the X800 so I traded my XT for a GT (and money ;) ). Not because I like nVidia better, but the 6800 series has the features that future games will use making it more future proof. Now how does that make me a fanboy?

Isn't this sort of sentance called an oxymoron? :) This makes you not a fanboy of AMD ;)

I guess your right. :p

Sidric
07-03-05, 07:53 AM
Where the hell did the word 'fanboy' come from anyway? Why can't I just be a fan of something? Or maybe if one is entirely too fanatical about a certain company, why aren't they called 'Certain-company fanatics? Wait thats too many syllables for some people . . . hmm so thats why we use fanboy . . .

/sarcasm off

I just read that article, and I'm getting the distinct vibe that that article was aimed purely at Nintendo fanboys. So what, Xbox and PS2 fanboys don't exist or something? How many 'gaycubes' and 'kiddiecubes' do we get, as fans of Nintendo? Yea, I admit I like Nintendo. Does that mean I'm a fanboy? Hell no. I don't even own any consoles but I do like playing Nintendos games periodically. And the only reason I would ever dis a console is because people, fanboyism not withstanding, overhype certain consoles*cough PS3/XBOX360 cough*. My opinion on them is all the so-called godly features you can get from either of these consoles, you can get from a PC. People are acting like these things are messiahs of the video-gaming world, and it sickens me. The Revolution? Hmm don't even know where Nintendo is going with that one. But you can bet in typical Nintendo fashion they're probably going to do something different, which will either be loved or deeply despised by the public, or both. Anyway I did enjoy the article, though he sort of destroyed the purpose of it by being somewhat biased himself.

Edge
07-03-05, 04:08 PM
I just read that article, and I'm getting the distinct vibe that that article was aimed purely at Nintendo fanboys. So what, Xbox and PS2 fanboys don't exist or something?
No, but Nintendo fanatics are generally the most vocal and have the most ridiculous logic out there. The recent lack of HD support on the Revolution is evidence of this: there were MANY Nintendo fans who were saying that removing HD would make the games look and play better. The article was definately aimed at "fanboys" in general, it's just that Nintendo fans often fit the stereotype more often than others. Not to mention I've never seen a page like this (http://xcrap.tk/) come from a fanatic of another company.

hazindu
07-05-05, 09:55 AM
I don't really understand how people could be fanboys. These are not non-profit organizations and no, Microsoft losing money on the Xbox does NOT qualify it as a non-profit organization. These companies exist only to make money off of you. As a consumer, I base my buying decisions based on who can fullfill my want\needs the best. I don't care if my next video card is ati, nvidia, or anyone else's. I don't care which company makes the most money in the console wars. Frankly I don't see why anyone who isn't being paid to do so would act as a cheerleader or FUD slinger for a business. I own a geforce 6800gt not because I like nvidia or hate ATI, but because it was the best available card that I could afford when I was upgrading last summer. I own a Dreamcast, a PS2, and a Gamecube and I think they are all crappy systems in many ways. I bough them because they all have exclusive games that I wanted to play, I didn't give a damn about supporting their respective builders.

As far as 'Everyone has some prejudice'. If competing companies have products that are equal in my eyes, I will support the underdog. This too is a self serving act as I want to strengthen the weaker company so that they can better compete with the stronger company because the underlining fact of being a consumer is that competition is a good thing.

ok off my soap box for now.

Namrok
07-05-05, 01:41 PM
I'm just now losing my fanboy-ness. Used to be hardcore into PC gaming. Oddly enough my first exposure to gaming was a NES and SNES, but we never had any good games for it and the ones we did get sucked because they were on clearance (NES Gilligan's Island was an afront to humanity).

It's funny because only recently have I come down off my pc gaming kick. I'd always rant and rave about how PC Gaming is always way ahead of the curve, in terms of gameplay and technology. How our games had longer lifespans thanks to mods and downloadable content and how saving systems on the PC are infinitely superior. Not to mention for developers, PC's are just a more accessable system. If you dig indie games, PC is the place to be, and you don't even have to break the bank on a PC because they have such low requirements. And for the shady among us, pirating is so much easier on a PC.

And then I got a 9 to 5 job (well, 6:30-3:30) programming with poorly documented SDKs. After 9 hours that last thing I want to do when I get home is install a new game, realize I need new drivers/create a new driver profile, extended troubleshooting, or any other hoops I used to jump though without it bothering me. I need instant gratification with 0 hastle. So I scored a Gamecube for $100 and a bunch of awesome games for $20- each (Metroid Prime, Pikmin, Zelda: Windwaker, Gauntlet) and was very satisfied. Even indulged $50 in Metroid Prime 2. Then I picked up a PS2 for $150 and a bunch more awesome games for $20- (Katamari, Burnout 3) and still am very satisfied, even once again splurged on God of War. So I guess my eyes have been opened that all platforms and systems have great gameplay experiences.

Still never going to touch X-Box though :D Maybe in a few years I'll be ready to admit that FPSes can be fun on a console. For now though I'll argue that Halo is a mediocre FPS at best (just please not here, I didn't mean it).

hazindu
07-05-05, 02:43 PM
I don't really think of gaming as pc vs console vs console vs console. In my train of thought, I'm not playing playstation 2, I'm playing suikoden 3. I'm not playing PC Games, I'm playing VTMB. I'm not playing gamecube, I'm playing Tales of Symphonia. If I had my choice which I rarely do, I play all these games on my PC so I could choose my own controller, set higher resolutions, and have more options all around.

way off subject here, but now that I think about it, its kinda funny how I can spend $400 on a video card, $80 on ram, and $300+ on board and processor every 18 months yet the thought of paying $20 for a memory card sickens me.