Hello,

I have the following system:

NZXT Nemesis Case with 400W power supply
1GB PC 3200 Corsair RAM
ASUS A8N-SLI mobo
AMD Athon 3000
XFX 16X PCI Express 6800 GT
Audigy Gamer soundcard

My problem is that I keep getting a message from nVidia sentinel that says the Vid Card is not getting enough power and that it will need to reduce the quality and settings. I just bought this rig from cyberpowerinc.com less than a month ago and plan on upgrading the PSU to 500+ when I get a second vid card in the new future.

I thought 400 would be enough to run the 6800GT. I did open the case to check the power supply is directly connected to the Vid Card and nothing is sharing the line that it is on. I just updated the latest drivers from nVidia, June 22nd 2005.

My questions are:

How do I troubleshoot this?
I have noticed that some people have an option in their nVidia options to overclock. How do I do that, granted I solve the original problem.

Thanks for listening to the n00b.

jAkUp
06-28-05, 09:02 PM
What kinda power supply is it? How many amps does it do on the +12v rail?

Really, overall wattage is useless now, its all marketing. Just like when vendors advertise gas mileage on cars.

I would recommend a quality power supply (Antec, OCZ, Targen, PC P&C) And a power supply that does at least 22A on the +12v rail. If it has split rails I would recommend at least 17A on both.

Rytr
06-28-05, 09:23 PM
Power supplies are becoming more important. PSUs have always been important to the overclocker but now the demands of components such as cpu and video cards are making them moreso.
I agree with jAkUp, you need to check the ratings on the power provided by the rails, especially the +12V rail. Better yet check the readings in the bios to see what is being furnished to the +12V rail. While it use to be + or - 10% it seems as now you could cut that in about half and be better off (IMO).
To jAkUp's list of power supplies I would add FPS (Forton) and maybe make the minimum rated amps on the +12V at least 24A (30A with SLi) on single +12V rail models and 15A each on psu's with split +12V rails.

Zeta
06-28-05, 09:35 PM
I dont mean to hijack your thread but this concerns me. I just ordered a Asus NF4 SLI deluxe mobo, AMD 3700+ san diego, and a evga 6800 GT. I have a 450W PS (that came with the case). The +12V rail is 18A. I will get a new PS when I decide to get another 6800 (in 6 months to a year) but wil this PS be plenty for now? I was under the impression this would be fine. I should add that I do not plan to overclock at all.

Zeta
06-28-05, 09:36 PM
Also you talk about split rails, how do you tell if it is split?

jAkUp
06-28-05, 09:40 PM
Umm... it will probably be ok, but I wouldn't use it.. you run the risk of damaging of your whole system with a cheap power supply, if it gets an overvolt or undervolt, some cheap powersupplies don't automatically shut off.

As for split rails, it will tell you on the side of the power supply.. it will usually say +12v1 & +12v2

clo1_2000
06-28-05, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the advice, didn't mean to double post, after I did this one, I noticed there was a graphics specific board.