PDA

View Full Version : can a router be used as just a hub?

shaker718
06-29-05, 09:15 AM
At work we are getting a couple of laptops with wireless cards and we want to set up access for them. Im wondering if I could use a Linksys router as a hub only. I've been looking online for a wireless hub and they are more expensive than any regular router I've seen. anyway Im rambling, but if you could enlighten me I would appreciate it.

zoomy942
06-29-05, 10:41 AM
okay. think of a hub as a dumb router. a hub just takes packets and sends them to all ports (some only send to needed port). but hubs dont prevent collisions with packets.

a router is like a hub, but only sends packets where they need to go and doesnt allow collisions. so.. yes, your router will do the job of a hub nicely

FastM
06-29-05, 12:00 PM
Just disable the DHCP service and ignore the Wan port... all set.

shaker718
06-29-05, 12:30 PM
thanks, I know what I wrote was nonsensical... last time I post that early in the morning I promise.

ricercar
06-29-05, 12:47 PM
Actually you are using the wireless router as a switch, not a hub. All routers I've seen have switches, not hubs.

Switches are Layer 2 in the OSI stack, which means they are more efficient than hubs. Switches route packets only to the ports that need them, without clogging the other ports with useless traffic.

I've done this with my Linksys WCG200. Works fine. Disabled DHCP, and ignored the WAN port, as stated.