PDA

View Full Version : Oh no! Is my 7800gtx defective?! Help!

wumpus1
06-29-05, 10:02 PM
I recieved my BFG 7800gtx OC on Monday. Unfortunately, I think it may be defective, and I want to know what you guys think.

Here are my system specs:

Antec Neopower 480
BFG 7800gtx OC
generic PCI nVidia 5700le
DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra SLI-DR w/ latest bios
2gb GEIL DDR
CL Audigy 2
Windows XP SP2 clean install

This is a truly CLEAN install, meaning I just reinstalled from scratch XP SP2 + all windows updates, the latest NF4 platform drivers, and the latest nvidia reference driver from nvidia.com. Virtually nothing else is installed.

The card works fine for the most part. However, during extended battlefield 2 play (about an hour), my system will lock and the sound will start repeating. I have to reboot to recover.

System temps look totally normal according to nTune, the card peaks at around 80-81c during bf2 gameplay (I can watch the temps displayed in real time on my 2nd LCD while I play). The other temps (cpu, chipset) look totally normal as well around 65c under gameplay load and much much lower when idle.

My system passes Prime95 torture test overnight no problem, so I know the CPU/memory/mobo are fundamentally stable.

I ran a bunch of 3dMark2005 loops and found something very very interesting: my 7800gtx will not complete loops of 3DMark2005 game test 2 (the nature one)!! It locks up very consistently in this test! It may not happen in loop 1, but it will DEFINITELY happen within 5 loops of this test. It does this when at "stock" speeds (460/1200), when at "normal" speeds (430/1200) and even at "underclocked" speeds (350/1100). I also tried resolutions of 1024x768 and 1600x1200. Same exact behavior, solid lock!

The card will loop 30-40 times on 3dmark2005 game test 1 or 3, but you give it 5 loops of game test 2 and it locks hard every time! Now, sometimes it will pass test 2 (if I run it one time instead of looping), and I can get a 3dmark2005 score. I just can't LOOP test 2. Every single time I try, hard lock city.

I read on digit-life that game test 2 is very vertex shader intensive. Could there be something wrong with the vertex shaders on my card? This is SO WEIRD!

Any input on this welcomed.. maybe this is just a bug in 3dmark2005 when looping test 2? Am I crazy??? I really need my card to be stable in Battlefield 2 because it sucks to lock up in the middle of an intense battle.

AthlonXP1800
06-29-05, 10:25 PM
Why you have a generic PCI nVidia 5700le in your system with 7800 GTX? You really dont need it, remove it and you will be fine running 3D Mark 2005 with just 1 loop in each bechmarks, 5 to 40 loops are pointless.

ChrisRay
06-29-05, 10:31 PM
It is a good question. Have you tried removing the 5700 in there? I really cant see much point in having a 5700 in there when your 7800GTX will do dual monitors just fine.,

However. If you're really anal about the vertex thing. You could use rivatuner and disable vertex shaders individual 1 at a time and see if any could be causing you trouble.

jAkUp
06-29-05, 10:37 PM
WTF do you have a 5700LE in there??!! Also, pump some more voltage into your memory... give it 2.8v if you are running 4 sticks. Also increase the memory timings, this board is pretty picky when it comes to memory.

wumpus1
06-29-05, 11:24 PM
I really cant see much point in having a 5700 in there when your 7800GTX will do dual monitors just fine
Erm, I need it when I have THREE LCD MONITORS. I didn't want to make a big deal out of my conspicuous consumption and all.. but since you guys are harping on it.. :p

I am going to try without the audigy (onboard sound) and without the 5700le. It already crashed on me once without the 5700le in there, so the next thing is the audigy.

LBJM
06-29-05, 11:27 PM
if you need to run three monitors buy another bfg 7800 and use SLI lol

GlowStick
06-29-05, 11:39 PM
if you need to run three monitors buy another bfg 7800 and use SLI lol
SLI only supports one monitor.

I dont feel that his card would be causeing the problems. However, for validation you could try removeing it.

SLippe
06-29-05, 11:42 PM
(popcorn)

wumpus1
06-29-05, 11:48 PM
OK, so I removed

- Audigy 2 (used onboard built in sound, the nForce platform drivers pick it up..)

- generic 5700le PCI

same problem in both cases. Actually the lockups happen almost INSTANTLY when playing for some reason, but when I came home and powered up the system as-is I was able to play for a solid hour before the lockup.

I happen to have a 6600 non-GT pciex card here, I'm gonna pop that in and see if I can play BF2 or not.. so much for 1600x1200 4xAA 8xAF :( :(

but at least I'll know if the 7800gtx I have is jacked or not! Then there are no variables left..

LBJM
06-30-05, 12:00 AM
SLI only supports one monitor.

I heard rumors they were going to fix that problem. it's only while SLI is enable in the drivers you can use 4 monitors otherwise.

Son Goku
06-30-05, 12:29 AM
You tried removing the old card and are still getting the same problem? You might try exchanging the card. Many retail stores have a given policy for limited exchange. AKA return it in 5 days, 10 days, a month (depends on the store, and the return/exchange policy they have). That should be printed on the receipt.

Better to be safe (if you isolated everything you can think of) and get an exchange, then sorry and find out the card was bogus. I had a troublesome Prophet 4500 one time, but didn't thought it might have been driver related. Basically, in 2D display, every so often the text I was seeing would get smeared on the screen and be undreadable. I'd have to mess with it to get things to display right again.

Drivers never did fix it. I think it was my card. Check your receipt or other documentation to see what they say about an exchange policy... It's much easier going through the retailer on a new purchase, then having to call up support and get an RMA # and the like to get permission to return it as defective...

Edit: As a matter of form, you can try stripping your PC down to the bare minimum hardware to boot and get your game loaded, and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, there really isn't anything more you could remove from the system to try to troubleshoot this. That would definitely have qualified IMO (along with a clean format/install, etc) as a good faith effort to try to make the card play...

wumpus1
06-30-05, 12:46 AM
Ok, I installed the 6600 (its the passive model from Gigabyte) I had laying around here.. and..

I HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM (?!)

Eg, battlefield 2 locked up with squealing sound almost immediately when I entered a multiplayer map.

So clearly it can't be the 7800gtx, audigy, or the pci 5700le-- same symptoms and none of those items are installed in the mobo!

I am thinking maybe the memory, as Jakup indicated. I built up another system on the DFI Lanparty mobo and had weird memory issues to the point that I replaced the memory with another brand..

I went into the BIOS options and increased mem voltage to 2.8v (from 2.6v) but that caused windows desktop to lock immediately after loading. I reduced to 2.7v and I was able to play bf2 for quite a while on the 6600.

How bizarre. I am running the latest DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR BIOS too.. should I let it run memtest (thats in the BIOS) overnight as well?? I am not a memory problem troubleshooting expert, in fact this is the first time I've run into something so strange!

GlowStick
06-30-05, 01:04 AM
I heard rumors they were going to fix that problem. it's only while SLI is enable in the drivers you can use 4 monitors otherwise.
Is it worth to invest 1200$ on a rumor?

As a dual monitor and sli user it is very annoying to reboot everytime i want to play a game.

Absolution
06-30-05, 01:24 AM
the inquirer said they would so it has to be true ;)

</sarcasm>

anyway, if anyone has a solution to this, id be very happy, my friend has the same problem on his nf4 + sli 6800 gt's - he hard freezes once a day or so

maybe its mb related

-=DVS=-
06-30-05, 01:46 AM
Not many things left , Motherboard , Ram and PSU one of them must be defective, i would try different bios. For example Abit's latest bios for fatality mobos is disaster looking at forums :eek:

wumpus1
06-30-05, 02:41 AM
I went into the BIOS options and increased mem voltage to 2.8v (from 2.6v) but that caused windows desktop to lock immediately after loading. I reduced to 2.7v and I was able to play bf2 for quite a while on the 6600.

This solved my problem!!

:jumping:

That was a tough one! I was only able to isolate it by removing everything I could, and then swapping in a different video card :P

I was able to play battlefield 2 for about 2 hours solid on the 7800gtx, no lockups! Again my sincerest thanks to jAkUp :beer: for his suggestion of increasing memory voltage! That seemed to do the trick..

bkswaney
06-30-05, 04:22 AM
This solved my problem!!

:jumping:

That was a tough one! I was only able to isolate it by removing everything I could, and then swapping in a different video card :P

I was able to play battlefield 2 for about 2 hours solid on the 7800gtx, no lockups! Again my sincerest thanks to jAkUp :beer: for his suggestion of increasing memory voltage! That seemed to do the trick..

Good to hear this. :)
Yep, memory voltage and timing can be a tricky
thing for sure.

wumpus1
06-30-05, 04:34 AM
Good to hear this. :)
Yep, memory voltage and timing can be a tricky
thing for sure.
Yes, but I am using all the motherboard defaults.. it's not like I am tweaking out the memory settings in the biOS at all, I basically just plugged it in then flashed the latest mobo BIOS and ran everything at default. That's it!!

What's surprising (to me) is that the problem would be so subtle.. meaning the system was 99% stable.. I could complete every 3dmark05 game test loop except game 2! But I can now loop game 2 no problem with the increased memory voltage.

I assume this is the kind of thing that running memtest86 overnight would have caught?? The DFI has memtest in the bios which is kind of cool.

radekhulan
06-30-05, 05:50 PM
This is AMD related problem, their integrated memory controller truly sucks, it is extremely picky (and it is not related to your board). AMD cannot seem to make a memory controller right; A64 Venice cannot do Command Rate 1T when having 4 DDR modules installed, and 4400+ Toledo cannot do it either.

It is sad that 3 years old Intel i875 chipset and its memory controller performs better and 100% stable, and is thus superior to AMD's latest innovation, which should in theory bring better performance, but brings A LOT of troubles instead...

And there is no way to really solve this than change your CPU for another picky AMD and pray..