PDA

View Full Version : Is reinstalling Windows XP always necessary for a new processor/motherboard install?

shan2
06-30-05, 05:16 AM
Well, the topic says it all. Part of me just wants to plug everything in and let it rip. The other part (the warning voice in the back of my head) says to reinstall XP and be safe... :p

Russ_64
06-30-05, 05:30 AM
I remember seeing something on the Microsoft Knowledgebase on how to do it - I think that there is a bunch of registry keys that can be deleted before removing your old MB and then it will detect and load the new MB devices on first boot - I have always preferred to re-install, also gets rid of all the junk.

shan2
06-30-05, 06:35 AM
Thanks. :)

I guess I'll stop being lazy about it and be safe. :D

Ninjaman09
06-30-05, 06:47 AM
If you have SATA hard drives, chances are Windows won't even boot if you try. If you don't, it might, but expect to be running a very unstable system.

Viventis
06-30-05, 06:56 AM
Not Always!

I just successfully replaced a faulty Leadtech nforce 2 motherboard on my second computer and did a double swap with two Epox nforce 2 motherboards (#1 went to #2 and the new one to computer #1). I manually removed many device drivers before the swap and then checked for duplicates in safe mode after the swap. I had to reload the graphics and Nvidia chip set drivers after bootup. Ten minutes of tweeking and both computers are running and benching great. Maybe it was easier because all three boards used the same chipset design.

Starscream
06-30-05, 08:52 AM
Speaking from a LOT of experience on the subject you can almost always switch boards that use similar chipsets. For example via to via or sis to sis. Doing a switch like via to sis usually doesn't work.

Riptide
06-30-05, 09:17 AM
Better safe than sorry. Rebuild it. :)

Rakeesh
06-30-05, 09:58 AM
Since the majority of the logical devices present in your system exist on the motherboard, I would say definitely yes, at least with the way windows is designed anyways.

If it is something like linux, all that is necessary is loading a new set of modules (or recompiling the kernel if you built the drivers into it.)

Windows on the other hand has a bunch of funky registry keys and drivers that it throws about all over the place; and it isn't as if you could just use a "driver cleaner" like you could if you were replacing just one device as opposed to several.

|JuiceZ|
06-30-05, 10:32 AM
Depends on what hardware isn't being switched out, manually the chipsets as mentioned above. I'm the type of person who hates reinstalling all my apps after a fresh install so if you nothing else, you can always just reinstall Win & use the same registry. Of course its always best to just do a clean install to avoid any potential registry probs.

Gnu_Raiz
06-30-05, 10:37 AM
I just switched from a backup socket A board to another socket A board, and I always do a fresh install. In fact during this fresh install, Windows update locked up on me twice, while downloading sp2, no mouse working, I guess the servers where dropping connections, I had 16 critical updates before windows sp2, and had 22 after sp2. Also I noticed that something was weird with active x as I would open up windows update it would lock up IE, so that was enough to wipe the harddrive and reinstall everthing from fresh.

It took me a month of sundays, but the second fresh install seemed to work better, and it was later while downloading sp2 every thing seemed to work. What I would suggest is do a fresh image before you install any drivers, then it might be ok, but with my experience with windows is nothing beats a fresh install. You always have some left over, that effects the system no matter what technique you use.

Gnu_Raiz