PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Buying An iPod . . . Anyone Else Got One?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

six_storm
06-30-05, 02:48 PM
Well, I took a trip to the Apple store yesterday and I'm thinking of buying an iPod. At first, I was thinking that the 6GB iPod Mini ($229) would suit me just fine . . . but for about $40 more, you can get a 20 GB iPod with Color LCD and Photo capabilities ($269). BTW, since no one keeps up with Apple news around here, Apple combined the regular iPod and iPod Color lines together:

http://www.apple.com/ipod/color/

Does anyone else own an iPod and are you using/enjoying it a lot? And if you have some pics, please post those as well . . . you know we all love pics around here hehe! :D

EDIT: My post count says "Leet" hahahahaa!!!!

lumpyhed
06-30-05, 03:13 PM
I have a 30GB model. I have my entire collection on demand which is nice. If you like to go running they are abit useless though :| I'm concidering one of those ipod stick things for running, and restrict my ipod to the gym.

ricercar
06-30-05, 04:28 PM
I'd need a 60g to store my whole CD library, so I opted for a $150 refurbished iPod Mini from the Apple store.

Very happy with it. The industrial designers really did a bangup job on the iPod. Every time I use the controls I'm pleased with the way they work. Carry it with me almost everywhere.

|JuiceZ|
06-30-05, 04:31 PM
Have 40gig Ipod photo that never leaves me. Sync up daily with my iTunes music library at home, run through my CDA-9855 Alpine deck in the car (320kbps AAC) and help me get through the day with some jams at work :jammin:

JeRi
06-30-05, 04:37 PM
i've had a 20gb ipod for over 2 years now, and overall very pleased with it. i ran into my first problem with it a few weeks ago, but took it to the closest apple store and had it fixed, free of charge. so far i haven't had any complaints about the size, as i've got about 1 and 1/2 gigs still free on it, considering my library is almost double the size of its capacity. But since I really only listen to a concentrated amount of it, it suits my needs just fine. would like to eventually upgrade to a color one, but i figure i'll stick with this one till it goes kaput.

only flaw i can see in my specific model (3rd gen 20GB) is that the battery life is crapola. i'm lucky if it lasts even close to 4-5 hours of listening, which means i'm charging it at least 3-4 times a week since i listen to it going to and from work, and also while at work most days. that would be the only thing that would make me want to upgrade now, as the newer ones have a much better charge life.

i would research some other players tho, as you can find others with more features and compatibility than an ipod has, but overall it's still a great purchase IMO

Roliath
06-30-05, 04:45 PM
I got a 20gig(3rd gen), and 40gig(4th gen), love em both to death on road trips, but I absolutely loathe iTunes. And Battery life is nearly non-existence.

darkhorse
06-30-05, 09:39 PM
I had a 15gig and updated this year to a 30 gig photo, the hd space wasn't the main issue, the battery and colour screen are what sold me on a new ipod. It's a great little device, being a photographer I love having most of my photos(digital and processed film that comes with picture cds, don't have a scanner for self developed photos). It's also great as an external hard drive, I know I would have liked to have all my digital photos on my ipod when my computer screwed up and I had to reformat my hard drive losing 1000 photos from my digital camera, my 15gig was being RMA'd at the time but back then I didn't even think to back up my photos on my ipod, now it's a great thing to fall back on. I love having a full music collection in my ipod(1500+ songs) and when I bike I have a half gig shuffle that works perfectly.

$n][pErMan
06-30-05, 10:06 PM
Is iTunes any good for downloading and paying for music?? How much does an average song cost.. and are they good quality? Also, how is the selection of music? :)

jAkUp
06-30-05, 10:14 PM
My girly has an ipod mini.. the damn thing is amazing. :D

Roliath
06-30-05, 11:09 PM
My girly has an ipod mini.. the damn thing is amazing. :D
The girly, or the mini?

You set yourself up for that one! :D

oldsk00l
06-30-05, 11:39 PM
After debating heavily, I plopped for a 2GB memstick duo, worth every penny and my PSP makes a far better music player.

Rakeesh
07-01-05, 12:21 AM
I tend to think of the Ipod as costing too much and offering too little.

six_storm
07-01-05, 02:14 AM
[pErMan']Is iTunes any good for downloading and paying for music?? How much does an average song cost.. and are they good quality? Also, how is the selection of music? :)

I like iTunes, real simple and easy to use. I had a friend who drank a lot of Pepsi and MT Dews so he gave me the free iTunes from the bottle caps. Downloads cost .99 cents per song and usually, you can get the whole CD for around $13.99 (?). You can also do PodCasting (very cool), get exclusive mixes for songs (if you are that into music, like me :D) and you can also use iTunes to burn CDs as well.

When you d/l music, you can transfer the songs to 5 other computers and burn them 7 times in a playlist. I prefer iTunes and am loving it, especially 4.9 with PodCasting.

jAkUp
07-01-05, 02:37 AM
The girly, or the mini?

You set yourself up for that one! :D

I guess it works either way :D

"The mini has the ipod girly"

:afro:

Absolution
07-01-05, 03:24 AM
most of my friends have them, my sis has one

i think they are overpriced ... but hey thats me

six_storm
07-01-05, 10:18 AM
I was thinking last night at work that when I buy my iPod, I will be pretty broke haha. The iPod 20 GB (269), Applecare Warrenty ($47) and the Mini 1/8 to RCA cable ($14) for my car will cost about $350 after tax and such. Heck, I'm still trying to pay off my iBook and already Apple has me buying other stuff . . . :D

|JuiceZ|
07-01-05, 07:10 PM
I was thinking last night at work that when I buy my iPod, I will be pretty broke haha. The iPod 20 GB (269), Applecare Warrenty ($47) and the Mini 1/8 to RCA cable ($14) for my car will cost about $350 after tax and such. Heck, I'm still trying to pay off my iBook and already Apple has me buying other stuff . . . :D

You Apple groupie :D

nVidi0t
07-01-05, 08:46 PM
Can't leave home without it. Life would feel wrong if I didn't have it.

nVidi0t
07-01-05, 08:49 PM
Bear in mind Six Storm, that a case is ESSENTIAL when you buy any iPod but the mini. They are the most delicate device I have ever seen, and even keeping it in a micro fiber bag for a couple of weeks before I got my iSkin produced a lot of hairline scratches. I usually dont mind scratches, but on a device as sexy as an iPod, scratches are infuriating. Dont even THINK of putting it in your pocket without a case..

Also, the only case I would recommend is the iSkin EvoII which makes the iPod a tank with a good screen protector. They aren't that cheap either.. $30 or so.. cant remember. I got the Arctic one.

jnd3
07-01-05, 09:18 PM
Huh, for me it was the iPod that was the gateway drug. First came the 15GB iPod (about 2 years ago). Then an iBook (for the wife). Followed by an iPod mini (also for the wife). Finally I managed to squeeze a PowerBook in there for me. Love it, love iTunes. And I'm with nVidi0t, go with an iSkin Evo case. I'm lovin' that, too. I'm still getting around 6-7 hours or so out of the battery, but I'm thinking about replacing it with one of the higher capacity batteries. I say go for it!

DEaD_IRiS
07-01-05, 09:23 PM
I have a 3G 20gig with about 15gigs of music. It's great to be able to take your whole music collection with you everywhere. But knowing what I know now I would get the 6 gig mini as I could fit all the music I'm currently listening to and enjoy at least double the battery life. I also bought a 1gig shuffle for mountain biking and really have enjoyed it. I was surprised at how much i liked the random shuffle feature as it didn't initially appeal to me. Battery life is really long with that too.

nVidi0t
07-01-05, 09:42 PM
Huh, for me it was the iPod that was the gateway drug. First came the 15GB iPod (about 2 years ago). Then an iBook (for the wife). Followed by an iPod mini (also for the wife). Finally I managed to squeeze a PowerBook in there for me. Love it, love iTunes. And I'm with nVidi0t, go with an iSkin Evo case. I'm lovin' that, too. I'm still getting around 6-7 hours or so out of the battery, but I'm thinking about replacing it with one of the higher capacity batteries. I say go for it!

Word.

What really beats though, is that using the EQ on my iPod 20Gb drastically reduces the battery life (usually 8-9 hours to 6), and to me with no bass booster music sounds a little too tinny. Looking into getting some Shure E4C's but they have a pretty hefty pricetag...

http://www.shurestore.com/earphones/eseries_e4c.html

six_storm
07-02-05, 12:16 AM
Thanks for enlightening me guys. I'm going to get the 20 GB iPod Color next week while I'm in Florida with my parents (haven't seen them in a while). Did you guys order those iSkins off of the Web or at a store? I'd really like to buy something like that in a store to avoid shipping and of course, waiting for the dang thing lol.

|JuiceZ|
07-02-05, 01:37 AM
You should be able to find iSkin cases locally, stores like BestBuy & CompUSA normally stock them.

netviper13
07-02-05, 01:42 AM
I dropped by an Apple store today and was almost seduced into buying the 60 gig iPod. I already have a 20 gig one, but seeing as how my music library is almost 50 gigs and I don't like being picky about which songs I include, yeah...