PDA

View Full Version : XP 2800+ with an Nforce2!

Mike89
12-17-02, 07:53 PM
Whoa whoa whoa. And WHOA!

I am a stoked doode right now. I just took the plunge and ordered the 2800+ along with the Asus A7N8X Deluxe and 2 256 meg sticks of Corsair PC3500 DDR from Newegg.

Newegg is the only place I have seen that has the 2800 but to get it from them, you have to also buy an AMD approved motherboard with it. Well I did it (thanks to an $800 bonus from work that I just put to good use).

Now I just have to wait a couple of days to get it. Then it's tweak and play time!

demonized
12-17-02, 07:57 PM
thats a nice upgrade. what are you gonna do with the rest of the money? new video card?

Mike89
12-17-02, 08:14 PM
Rest of the money? Are you kiddin me?

AMD XP 2800+ = $389
Asus Nforce 2 = $153
Corsair DDR = $236
1 yr warranty on CPU = $19.45
Tax = $56.41
Shipping = Free
Total = $853.86

Now my weak link is the Ti4600 (if you can call that a weak link).

Video card will be next but I am undecided at the present time. I have been a long time Nvidia guy but man, I just don't know for how much longer.

I think the FX is already in trouble with rumors of further delays and the next ATI offering just may come at the same time (and may do to the FX what the 9700 Pro did to the Ti4600). If that happens, Nvidia may find themselves in trouble (hell I think they are already in trouble) and may lose some loyal customers including me.

SavagePaladin
12-17-02, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Mike89
Video card will be next but I am undecided at the present time. I have been a long time Nvidia guy but man, I just don't know for how much longer.

I think the FX is already in trouble with rumors of further delays and the next ATI offering just may come at the same time (and may do to the FX what the 9700 Pro did to the Ti4600). If that happens, Nvidia may find themselves in trouble (hell I think they are already in trouble) and may lose some loyal customers including me.

How many fake rumors have been popping up in the last year?

I mean hell....NV30 had Glide support at one point in time! It also had a 256 bit memory bus! It also had....hell, you get the point.

Don't trust rumors....wait for the facts.

I think the rumor mill is getting flat out ridiculous

Mike89
12-17-02, 10:35 PM
I mean hell....NV30 had Glide support at one point in time!

Heh heh, yeah I remember that one. That one was pretty funny.

Well bottom line is there is no rumor that ATI blew Nvidia out of the water (you don't know how hard it was for me to say that, ouch) with the 9700 Pro.

The Nvidia using the 256 memory bus was one rumor that should have been true. Big mistake, IHMO that they didn't do that.

I think Nvidia sat on their high horse too long and underestimated what ATI could do.

SavagePaladin
12-17-02, 11:34 PM
Heh heh, yeah I remember that one. That one was pretty funny.

Well bottom line is there is no rumor that ATI blew Nvidia out of the water (you don't know how hard it was for me to say that, ouch) with the 9700 Pro.

The Nvidia using the 256 memory bus was one rumor that should have been true. Big mistake, IHMO that they didn't do that.

I think Nvidia sat on their high horse too long and underestimated what ATI could do.
I think they just had an unexpected delay on .13 availability.

The GFFX supposedly goes for efficiency over bandwidth. So if they can do that, why not? I don't care what memory bus it has, if its a great card.

As for the glide thing...man, I wish I could play Uprising 1+2. The other games can go rot <g>

gokickrocks
12-17-02, 11:48 PM
efficiency only gets you so far, which is why i prefer raw performance cause its always there

SavagePaladin
12-17-02, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by gokickrocks
efficiency only gets you so far, which is why i prefer raw performance cause its always there

That made about as much sense as a delusional crack addict.

If it weren't for efficiency there would be no performance worth mentioning.

gokickrocks
12-18-02, 01:20 AM
i meant it in a bandwidth saving technique context, no need to get snippy about it

i would rather have 50gigs of raw bandwidth (these #s dont relate to any video card obviously) than 10gigs of raw bandwidth with an "efficient" 5:1 compression

of course this is assuming that this "efficient" compression is always doing its job

-=DVS=-
12-18-02, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by gokickrocks
i meant it in a bandwidth saving technique context, no need to get snippy about it

i would rather have 50gigs of raw bandwidth (these #s dont relate to any video card obviously) than 10gigs of raw bandwidth with an "efficient" 5:1 compression

of course this is assuming that this "efficient" compression is always doing its job

Yeah Nvidia says NV30 does 48Gb/s bandwidth , but this is in perfect case :rolleyes: in reality it have only 16Gb/s raw speed in every situation compared to R300 19Gb/s and Radeon also have bandwidth saveing techniques witch could be more or less then 48Gb/s :rolleyes:

So what all this means you ask :confused: well its all http://home.earthlink.net/~sbp777/smilies/vb_bs-smilie.gif Only true performance in real games is important , never trust marketing BS , untill real product apears its not worth argueing who is faster http://home.earthlink.net/~sbp777/smilies/dead.gif

Gator
12-18-02, 07:42 AM
...Now my weak link is the Ti4600 (if you can call that a weak link)

No, I wouldn't call your video card weak at all. With the system you'll be building, you're gonna have amazing frame rates. R9700Pro is still a little pricey for my taste, and you need to ask yourself if you care about running ATI vs Nvidia? Nv30 should be here in April, so it's also a matter of how long you're willing to wait.

But my original point remains, the TI4600 is far from dead, and on that system it's gonna FLY. So if I were you, I'd stick with it for now. ;)

Please post some benchs for us all, I'm anxious to see how Barton + NF2 performs :eek:

Mike89
12-18-02, 10:16 AM
Agreed.

The Ti4600 still has cojones of it's own, while not as big as the 9700 Pro, it's still plenty big enough for most women. :o

I hope the fems don't get me on that one.

I will just wait and see what the FX really turns out to be before I make any decisions.

Cloudy
12-22-02, 01:33 AM

Now my weak link is the Ti4600 (if you can call that a weak link).

weak link? *falls over confused*

man oh man, I wish I could afford that "weak link"

heh. It's great man.. stick with it. You have an awesome enough system to go with it for a while. I'd wait for the next genoration of cards beyond the FX and R350 to even think about it...

but you're a working dude and I'm a lazy High School student. Do whatever you want :]

Riff
12-22-02, 03:34 AM
I've sort of had the same set up since late November. I ordered the 2800+, A7N8X, and two 512MB sticks of Corsair XMS 3500. I rushed the installation and managed to crack the flip chip. Obviously, it didn't POST. I RMAed the cpu (not believing my luck took it back) and got another chip the first week of december. I tried installing that one using a swiftech MCX462-U heatsink and it still didn't POST. After cleaning off the chip, there was clearly no damage done to the flip chip.

I had a friend test my RAM in his system (non-A7N8X) and it worked, so my guess is that I fried the socket and/or voltage regulator. I managed to get yet another RMA (Newegg rocks) and ordered another A7N8X (since it was my fault and its past the RMA period). This time I think I'm just gonna keep the cpu/mobo boxed and have a local shop install it and assume the liability :)

I also purchased a black chieftech Scorpio case w/ window and from other sources, an 80 gig 7200 RPM drive, Windows XP Pro OEM and the Sony DRU500A internal CD/ CDR/ CDRW/ DVD+/-R / DVD+/-RW drive. I think I'm gonna pick up an Antec power supply too since the 420 Watt Austin that came with the case doesn't have a very good +12V rail (and I will have four fans,black light and two drives using +12V)

Richthofen
12-22-02, 04:53 AM
"
"

I don't think so.
If you look at some benchmarks around the net you will see that a Radeon9500 pro which has half the bandwith of a Radeon9700pro is in heavy bandwith limited benchmarks only 20 to 30% away.
Just follow the link
http://www.de.tomshardware.com/graphic/02q4/021212/radeon9500pro-09.html#4x_fsaa

In my opinion the Radeon9700 pro has to much bandwith compared to what it can use because of fillrate and so on.
You have 100% more bandwith but only 30% more performance.
I don't think that the 128 bit interface will hold NV30 back.
Well of course we have to wait for benchmarks but i am pretty optimistic.

StealthHawk
12-22-02, 05:07 AM
hmm, not really, check this out http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20021202/radeon_9500-10.html

in single texture fillrate the r9500Pro has almost half the fillrate of the r9700/r9700Pro. it's quite clear that the reason for this is almost certainly bandwidth.