PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Venice overclocking.

Lfctony
07-01-05, 10:42 AM
Well, I'm as unlucky as anyone could get. So many good things about Venice o/c and it seems I got a "dud" chip. It seems that my 3500+ can't do more than 100Mhz more without increasing voltage. This is my setup at the moment:

Voltage: 1.55V
CPU: 10x240=2400
RAM: .83 Multi x 240 = DDR400
HTT: 240x4 = 960
49C at full load.

This is the best I can do without increasing voltage further. I've found my CPU's max Mhz by taking ram down to 100Mhz and the HTT multi to 3, hit a brick wall at 2300 and then after increasing voltage by 10% i can go up to 2420 stable, left it at 2400.

Any suggestions on how to improve this? I really dislike pumping more voltage into a chip.

Thanks,
Tony.

CaptNKILL
07-01-05, 06:05 PM
Voltage is the only way I think. Thats what I did and as far as I know, its this chips ability to take high voltages without overheating that make it shine as an overclocker.

I have my BIOS set to +0.3V which is a lot and last night i ran Prime95 for 2 hours and my temps topped out around 57 with the stock heatsink and a 700Mhz overclock. Not bad at all.

Keep upping the voltage and you'll get higher. There really much of a chance that you will cook your chip, you just have to keep an eye on the temps.

Make sure to set your BIOS settings so that the CPU fan kicks the speed up around 45C (if you have the option to do this) and set the CPU shutdown temp around 65 to prevent any damage if your fan dies.

Youre doing fine considering how low your voltage is. Any more im worried about not giving mine ENOUGH voltage because I want it stable... my temps are under control, so voltage wont really hurt anything.

Dazz
07-01-05, 06:53 PM
Try a higher multiplier, like 11x Your Mmeory is likely too be holding you back there.

CaptNKILL
07-01-05, 09:47 PM
Try a higher multiplier, like 11x Your Mmeory is likely too be holding you back there.
He's using a memory divider so he shouldnt have to worry about memory just yet... but yeah if higher multipliers are available ALWAYS use them unless you are specifically trying to get more memory bandwidth.

Heh, if only my CPU supported some extra multipliers... at least 10x. Id be sooo happy if I could get the .5x multies, I miss them immensly after having my Athlon XP system overclocked for so many years.

jAkUp
07-01-05, 10:06 PM
Pump more v into that baby :) Seriously...

as for the .5x multies, you can still use them, they screw with your memory so they are pretty much useless though

Lfctony
07-01-05, 10:43 PM
Damn, even at 1.6V it won't do 2.5. Seems I have to leave at that guys. Thanks for your help. :(

CaptNKILL
07-01-05, 11:30 PM
Pump more v into that baby :) Seriously...

as for the .5x multies, you can still use them, they screw with your memory so they are pretty much useless though
They arent available in my BIOS... how can I get to them? Im not going to use them, Im just curious.

BTW, my system is finally exactly where I want it. Its real stable and real fast and nothing is getting corrupted... wewt :D

Riptide
07-02-05, 01:01 AM
Maybe I'm not the only one who gets dud chips? :)

jAkUp
07-02-05, 01:19 AM
They arent available in my BIOS... how can I get to them? Im not going to use them, Im just curious.

BTW, my system is finally exactly where I want it. Its real stable and real fast and nothing is getting corrupted... wewt :D

Your's doesnt have it? hmmm.. While mine has it, and I know the MSI K8N has it also... they are useless though.. heh :)