PDA

View Full Version : Creative X-Fi Benchmarks

jAkUp
07-03-05, 01:50 AM
http://www.soundblaster.com/products/x-fi/technology/lastinfo/gaming2.asp

Take with a grain of salt since they did come from creative... but interesting to look at none the less :afro:

GlowStick
07-03-05, 02:24 AM
Intresting, i cant wait for retal produtk, also the headphone mode hehe.

Smokey
07-03-05, 06:32 AM
Good to see that the that with 120 voices performance is still great. I myself am looking forward to seeing reviews about the sound quality :)

Dazz
07-03-05, 07:18 AM
Yeah those benches was posted 3 days ago, although they comparing it with on board sound, Intels HD audio

$n][pErMan
07-03-05, 11:26 AM
You know .. I might pick this up as I have noticed with my audigy 2 ... in some new games EAX will give me a decent hit on FPS. This might fix that and give me better sound :D

jAkUp
07-03-05, 12:09 PM
It definetely should :) I'm really looking forward to this, super powerful SPU :)

Kamel
07-03-05, 01:13 PM
i think companies hate me... seems like every time i am able to upgrade something they come out with a new technology immediately after. as soon as i got my logitech speakers they came out with a diff model, same price, better performance. after i got my 6800gt, about a week later the 7800gtx series was released... after i get my logitech mx510 they came out with an mx518 which is better and cheaper than mine :'(. after i got my mobile xp2600, 64bit became cheaper and mainstream... and now this, my most recent upgrade was a sound blaster audigy 2 ZS. why me, why me!? :'(

LBJM
07-03-05, 01:35 PM
we need new and faster sound cards badly I hope they at least release before the end of august.

Buenamos
07-03-05, 01:43 PM
i think companies hate me... seems like every time i am able to upgrade something they come out with a new technology immediately after. as soon as i got my logitech speakers they came out with a diff model, same price, better performance. after i got my 6800gt, about a week later the 7800gtx series was released... after i get my logitech mx510 they came out with an mx518 which is better and cheaper than mine :'(. after i got my mobile xp2600, 64bit became cheaper and mainstream... and now this, my most recent upgrade was a sound blaster audigy 2 ZS. why me, why me!? :'(

Well, u need to upgrade when things come out. The 6800gt has been out for almost a year, the mx510, god knows how long. I know it's expensive when it first comes out, but its evolution. :o

nrs421
07-03-05, 02:00 PM
yeah the only thing i have not upgraded since i got them when they came out are my speakers....still sound awesome....nothing better out yet

Dazz
07-03-05, 02:57 PM
I hope that it supports Dolby Digital live and have optical out on the card or come with a bracket

DSC
07-03-05, 03:16 PM
Obviously, take the onboard HDA audio which doesn't have any hardware acceleration and make inflated benchmark claims. Typical Creative Sound Mangler modus operandi. :thumbdwn:

http://www.3dss-forums.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=Forum22&Number=151033&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=12

There is something wrong with the fact that Creative needs to market this new card to gamers with the "performance increase" angle. Its more or less the same old audio, except it takes up less CPU cycles. Is that all that anyone cares about? What about actually improving the quality and accuracy of 3D audio modeling?

Creative will find it harder and harder to sell soundcards unless they start pushing the envelope. As 3D audio engines in games fail to increase in features and complexity with each generation, the audio processing requirements are becoming a smaller and smaller share of the overall load. I understand that processors have a long way to go yet before they can perform advanced DSP calculations at the same speed as something like the X-Fi, but without a continually advancing target, the general purpose CPU will eventually catch up, and there will no longer be a compelling argument for hardware accelerated 3D audio.

Excellent commentary, maybe you all should learn that FPS isn't everything, sound quality is way more important, and Creative doesn't have any clue in that dept. :D

SH64
07-03-05, 03:27 PM
I'd like to see how the X-Fi chip fares in CoD.. that game takes a HUGE performance hit with EAX enabled.
i'm going to get the X-Fi anyway .. at least for BF2 :afro:

nvnews-reader
07-03-05, 03:31 PM
What's the release date and price?

jAkUp
07-03-05, 03:33 PM
Yes I am very curious as to the "Ultra high audio" setting for BF2... :)

It should come out in fall.. probably have about a $300 pricetag when first released.

$n][pErMan
07-03-05, 05:30 PM
Yes I am very curious as to the "Ultra high audio" setting for BF2... :)

It should come out in fall.. probably have about a $300 pricetag when first released.
$300 ... no way in hell im paying that for sound .. lol. Better sunk into a new video card or CPU or mobo or something! Id pay maybe 170 for it.

TheManko
07-03-05, 06:13 PM
I'm actually guessing they'll be doing the same thing as usual, models for 100-300$, depending on the amount of features you want. Anything else would be stupid.

Kamel
07-03-05, 06:57 PM
Well, u need to upgrade when things come out. The 6800gt has been out for almost a year, the mx510, god knows how long. I know it's expensive when it first comes out, but its evolution. :o

hey, screw you lol. actually, i got the mx510 when it first came out (when it was on sale exclusively at best buy), but i included it in the list because the mx518 really didn't come very long after the mx510 did.

as far as the 6800gt goes, i knew the 7800gtx was comming out, i was just joking about that tbh.

Nutty
07-03-05, 06:59 PM
I hope this supports Dolby Digital encoding on the fly like SoundStorm. If not, its just more junk imo. For 300 notes it needs to be seriously impressive.

Smokey
07-03-05, 09:01 PM
I hope this supports Dolby Digital encoding on the fly like SoundStorm. If not, its just more junk imo. For 300 notes it needs to be seriously impressive.

Well it doesnt! It is aimed at gamers, and I would think most gamers have anolog speaker setups? Because I'm taking a guess here, but I think the only reason you're asking about the DD encoding is so you can hook it up to your component system via ditital and still get surround sound in games? Because it certainly isn't a sound quality problem! Now even if we say that would think about doing DD encoding, where do you think that that could fit the DD encoding chip on existing cards?

I doubt very much that it is going to be $300 for just the soundcard, more likely for say a pro version.

Smokey
07-03-05, 09:17 PM
Obviously, take the onboard HDA audio which doesn't have any hardware acceleration and make inflated benchmark claims. Typical Creative Sound Mangler modus operandi. :thumbdwn:

So if I understand, we shouldn't compare any soundcards performance against that of any Creative's sound cards, as Creative's are the only cards that have a DSP? Inflated benchmark claims? if you have already done your own bencharks, please do post your resaults! Inflated.....to be honest I was expecting much higher performance when compared to onboard.

http://www.3dss-forums.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=Forum22&Number=151033&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=12

Excellent commentary, maybe you all should learn that FPS isn't everything, sound quality is way more important, and Creative doesn't have any clue in that dept. :D

I wouldn't call it good commentary myself, was kinda wondering if this person is a gamer or follows any pc gaming sites/forums. Yes sound quality is important, and yes I think Creative are leading the way when it comes to gaming sound standards/quality, and the X-Fi will only increase that. For most gamers FPS do come first, quality second, whether that be sound and or video, and as gamers are Creative's target audiance....

Maybe we should just outlaw all marketing of products?

DSC
07-04-05, 01:04 AM
Your choice for a Sound Mangling experience, not mine.

Creative leading the way in gaming sound standards/quality? What kind of hallucigenic thing are you smoking?

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/7249

Just getting a clean basic sound stream out for music seems much harder than it should be much of the time. After hearing the audio solutions presented back to back in one of our listening test sessions, I decided I just didn't care about hardware acceleration of 3D positional audio anymore. You can have those 10 frames per second back; just give me good, clean audio with decent mixing of streams, and I'm happier with that. At least the best cards based on VIA's Envy24HT chip, which utterly lacks hardware 3D acceleration capabilities, can meet that requirement reasonably well.

There's nothing wrong with marketing, but Creative has been known for their "creative" marketing, see lies about Audigy and claims about 24bit 96KHz capabilities, which they got promptly slapped with a class action lawsuit.

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/8130

As long as mindless masses of gamers keep buying Creative soundcards, thats why they have a monopoly fueled by clueless idiots who can't seem to get the hint their proprietary EAX standard are inferior and not needed for quality sound.

Even John Carmack was annoyed by their crap.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14459

It was tempting to take a stand and say that our products were never going to use any advanced Creative/3dlabs products because of their position on patenting gaming software algorithms, but that would only have hurt the users.

Smokey
07-04-05, 02:59 AM
Well your first quote is in relation to "music", Creative's cards are not aimed as music cards, well maybe the X-Fi will improve things here. I never said that my Audigy2 ZS was the best soundcard for music, but for gaming!

Next, you bring up the Audigy, which is like 5 years old. Nvidia made the GF5800 and GF5900 videocards and promoted them as DX9 (pixel shader 2.0) cards, yet they arent really that good when it comes to PS2.0, but as Nvidia improved on this with later product releases people got over it, just like Creative correcting the 24bit problem of the Audigy.

If something else came out that was clearly better soundcard for gaming I would support it, but until then I will continue to support Creative. Im not supporting Creative because I like the company, it's only because there is nothing else out that is as good for gaming!

As long as mindless masses of gamers keep buying Creative soundcards, thats why they have a monopoly fueled by clueless idiots who can't seem to get the hint their proprietary EAX standard are inferior and not needed for quality sound.

Inferior to what?

jolle
07-04-05, 03:15 AM
Tech preview if anyone missed it.. pretty long, good info and stuff..
while the chip is very powerful, it seems 70% of that power is aimed at SRC..
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1813855,00.asp

Nutty
07-04-05, 07:22 AM
Now even if we say that would think about doing DD encoding, where do you think that that could fit the DD encoding chip on existing cards?

What?! They have a WHOLE card to fit it on! NV managed to fit an entire sound solution, which does do DD encoding, into 1 southbridge chip! I know loads of ppl that want DD realtime encoding for digital hookups, the fact that Creative _STILL_ dont provide it even on an expensive sound card, when NV proved they could do it easily, is utter crap imo. I wont be buying anything from Creative until they get their arse in gear and stop releasing rubbish.