PDA

View Full Version : help overclocking my CPU and memory?

JeRi
07-03-05, 09:24 PM
hey everyone, I'm giving overclocking a shot with my 3200+ Winnie and my memory (Corsair XMS (TwinX1024-3200C2PT) 1GB (2x512)). I've been trying to read up on it, and I think I get the basics, however, the memory part of overclocking is getting me. I'm just not sure what to do with my timings, how much voltage to run and what FSB I should run without killing my RAM. I'm not looking for an overkill in OC, just wanna get some more performance out of my rig. Right now, I've played around with Winchester, and it looks like it can get up to 2.58MHz pretty stable, and I believe my mem got up to 215MHz, more or less. I've started to run tests, like OCCT, Prime95 and MemTest (but with errors here and there), but I think I could just use some direction in making an OC possible. As far as my CPU, if I can get an OC of 2.4GHz or higher, I'd be happy, so if someone could help me out with getting everything to run stable and notice an increase, I'd really appreciate it. i know this is a noob problem, but some of this is just very hard to get a good grasp on. i also don't get what to do with the whole 1T and 2T thing, so insight there could be helpful. and also, if anyone has experience with OCing with my Asus mobo and can give me tips on how to go about OCing properly on it, I would be very grateful. Thanks.

JeRi
07-04-05, 08:11 PM
well i think i have a pretty stable OC going right now..

going with 245MHz x 10.0 = 2450MHz for my CPU and memory is running at 204.5MHz at 2.5-3-3-7 @ 2T timings (Bank Cycle Time is 22 clocks and DRAM Idle Timer is 16 clocks) is there anything i can improve on my memory? i just ran Prime95 for over 7 hours with no problems, along with OCCT and SuperPi with no problems. just gotta run memtest to make sure my OC is stable. Does anyone think I can get better timings out of my memory at all? maybe 2-3-3-7 or something better?

-=DVS=-
07-04-05, 09:21 PM
Slow process but you can try one setting at a time , first you can try 1T , then go to latency try 2-3-3-7 , 2-3-2-7. You only got 1 gig could handle lower latencys , but we are talking few FPS difference here only Sandra memory bandwith test is sensative to low latencys. Also if your case got decent air flow can increase DDR voltage up to 2.9 volts should be safe , atleast that what OC forums saying.

SLippe
07-04-05, 09:58 PM
I feel your pain or whatever. I'm not happy at all with my OC of my system, but at least I got something. Stupid AMD and their locked cpu's! Argh! Anyways, good luck with that...it can be fun and frustrating at the same time. BTW, my multiplier is locked at 11x.

JeRi
07-04-05, 10:21 PM
thanks, appreciate the insight...well, i wouldn't say i'm unhappy with it, since this is my first time ever trying. maybe whenever i upgrade my processor (which won't be for a while anyway, maybe christmas time) i can try something more intensive, but for now i think this OC will be good for me. just need to play around more with my ram to see if i can get a little more out of them as i'm probably not doing much right now. but i just ran memtest thru 5 complete passes, no errors, so i think i'm pretty safe at this level of an OC. now, onto to playing with those latencies

john19055
07-05-05, 01:56 PM
I have found running your timeing with 1T makes a big difference when I run my at 200 2-2-2-5 1T timeings the performance is faster then trying to run at 225 3-3-3-9 2T, I am a noob too when it comes to overclocking the A64 cpu.I just figured out how to run my CPU with a high FSB and keep my memory running around 200.I found that I can run my CPU at 240 and set my memory at 166 and that way I am running at around 206 on the memory.It is a little more tricky to run a overclock A64 then it was to overclock a XP CPU.

john19055
07-05-05, 02:07 PM
If you are runnong at XP cpu you can get a moblie XP and it is unlocked or at least it was and overclock the heck out of them I paid about $90 for my moblie Barton XP 2600 and it ran at 210x12@ 2.520gigs for along time I had the timeings tight at 2-2-2-6 but I had the cpu voltage at 1.8v,but it ran stable but I decided to go with a A64 CPU and went with the wrong socket 754 it was faster but now I am stuck and can't upgrade unless I upgrade everthing,CPU motherboard and video card,but my moblie 2600 is still going strong in my kids computer.

SLippe
07-05-05, 04:40 PM
Yes, I've read the same thing about the Mobile AMD CPU. I am looking into that myself. Question about that...Are the Mobiles the same socket as the XP's? I mean, I don't have to switch my mobo right?

I'd like this one from Newegg.com, it should work for me, right?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103482